The Resource For Musicals



Chess Forum


Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Act II Argument 
Author Message
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:16 am
Posts: 96
Location: Tennessee
Post 
Well, after sleeping on it I've decided I like it. I tweaked the dialogue surrounding it a little, but otherwise I'm leaving it as above for the time being.

Here's the song order for my revision:

Quote:
Act I
Prologue/Story of Chess (Broadway version, sung by Arbiter & Assistants)
Freddie's Entrance (both verses)
Press Conference (Broadway version)
Where I Want to Be
Argument I (How Many Women)
Merchandisers (All three verses, Broadway lyrics with Walter solo)
Diplomats (Both verses, London lyrics)
Arbiter (London lyrics)
Chess #1
Quartet
American & Florence / Nobody's Side
Terrace Duet / Who'd Ever Think It
One Night in Bangkok
Chess #2
Florence Quits / A Taste of Pity
Heaven Help My Heart
Reporters
Anthem

Act II
Hungarian Folk Song
Someone Else's Story (Svetlana, with Sydney Lyrics)
No Contest
Argument II (Concept Album)
You & I (Broadway, with Anatoly/Florence and Anatoly/Svetlana sections)
Freddie Goes Metal
Let's Work Together
I Know Him So Well
Attempted Reconciliation (from Sydney... "Silly boy, woman who..." etc)
Pity the Child
Endgame (A Sydney/Broadway hybrid using Rice's NY lyrics)
You & I Reprise (London version, with the introductory "This is an all too familiar scene..." verse, and wonderful choir part)


So there you have it. My personal flavor of Chess, basically a streamlined Nelson book with some Sydney thrown in the smooth out the rough parts in Act II. I'm pretty happy with it, this week. But, owing to my gender, you know that could change at any moment. ;)

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:41 am
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:21 pm
Posts: 1146
Location: Norway
Main Role: Performer
Post 
I've also been checking out different ways of putting up chess, here are 2 of my "lists"

Stockholm based:
Quote:
01. Prologue
02. The Story of Chess
03. Where I Want to Be
04. Freddie's Entrance
05. Press Conference
06. Anatoly and Molokov
07. You Want to Lose Your Only Friend?
08. One Night in Bangkok
09. Arbiter
10. Quartet
11. Someone Else's Story
12. Embassy Lament
13. Terrace Duet
14. A Taste of Pity
15. Anthem

16. Entr'acte
17. Soviet Machine
18. Nobody's Side
19. Chess
20. I Know Him so Well
21. Pity the Child
22. Forget Me While You Can
23. Capablanca
24. Endgame
25. You and I


I know, it's to different from any version to be legalized, I just like the thought of this order, with of course some dialogue in between the songs.

And the concept approach with original song list plus something new and a new synopsis and a script.

Quote:
01. Overture
02. Merano
03. Anatoly and Molokov
04. Where I Want to Be
05. Opening Ceremony
06. Quartet
07. Freddie and Florence
08. Nobody's Side
09. Chess
10. Florence and Molokov
11. Mountain Duet
12. Florence Quits
13. Embassy Lament
14. Anthem

15. Bangkok
16. One Night in Bangkok
17. Someone Else's Story / Heaven Help My Heart (Can't decide on which to use)
18. Argument
19. I Know Him so Well
20. The Deal
21. Pity the Child
22. Endgame
23.You and I
24. The Story of Chess
25. You and I (reprise)


I really think the concept album with the inclusion of "Florence and Molokov" can work really well, instead of having a one year interval, I would do as in New York, just set the other half of the championship in Bangkok. Thus we lose Viigand, we don't need Walter, and the love triangle is free to unfold!

_________________
I never use smilies. So do not mistake me for being rude for not returning a wink or a smile.


Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:47 am
Profile
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:51 am
Posts: 29
Post 
kaelidancer:

I absolutely love the way you used "Argument" to lead into "You and I." Brilliant. I like "Argument" but I've always felt that eliminating the first "You and I" means we don't get to see another tender moment between Florence and Anatoly after "Terrace Duet." This solves that problem perfectly.

Your revised song list for the Broadway script looks great, too. How are you introducing Svetlana at the top of the second act? Do you have a scene leading into "Someone Else's Story"? I'd love to see your complete script. It sounds like you've managed to actually make the Broadway version work which is a major feat. Congratulations!


Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:28 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:48 pm
Posts: 1503
Location: Warwick, Rhode Island
Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Post 
bugaboo_4 wrote:
It sounds like you've managed to actually make the Broadway version work which is a major feat. Congratulations!


Cadriel's done it, too. Ask to look at his version some time.

_________________
Originally joined April 18, 2002
1,452 posts on original forum ("Broadway Legend" rank)
Image


Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:57 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:16 am
Posts: 96
Location: Tennessee
Post 
bugaboo_4 wrote:
kaelidancer:

I absolutely love the way you used "Argument" to lead into "You and I." Brilliant. I like "Argument" but I've always felt that eliminating the first "You and I" means we don't get to see another tender moment between Florence and Anatoly after "Terrace Duet." This solves that problem perfectly.

Your revised song list for the Broadway script looks great, too. How are you introducing Svetlana at the top of the second act? Do you have a scene leading into "Someone Else's Story"? I'd love to see your complete script. It sounds like you've managed to actually make the Broadway version work which is a major feat. Congratulations!


Oh, thanks!

As for my introduction of Svetlana, it's a little shoehorned, but it works. The scene preceding it originally led into "Heaven Help My Heart," thus:

Quote:
FLORENCE
This isn't my country. I'm a tourist. I have no memories of anything.

MOLOKOV
For that I am sorry.
It is a charming city. My own honeymoon was here.

FLORENCE
I couldn't even find Prodgsy Street where I was born. I thought maybe there'd be neighbors who remembered... what happened to my father.

MOLOKOV
Perhaps they changed the street names. I could ask. I speak some Hungarian.

FLORENCE
I wouldn't want you to go to any trouble -

MOLOKOV
It would be no trouble at all. I’m told that Anatoly seems very very happy. No doubt, because of you. Feel complimented by that. My wife would. To have that said about me. I have been a stupid husband, Florence. So much time away. She kept saying, if I loved her, I would give her every second. But, I was young.

(HEAVEN HELP MY HEART)



I cut Molokov's last line back a bit, and switched his "My wife would" to "HIS wife would." ... earlier in the scene he's been digging Florence about her affair ("I think I shall pray that my wife stays faithful to me..."), so this tones down the sincerity a bit, but provides a workable way to segue to Svetlana, checking into her hotel room. Here's my version of the transition:

Quote:
FLORENCE
This isn't my country. I'm a tourist. I have no memories of anything.

MOLOKOV
For that I am sorry.
(She turns to him, surprised by the remark.)
It is a charming city. My own honeymoon was here.
(He starts to exit.)
I'm told Anatoly seems very happy. No doubt because of you. (Pausing) Feel complimented by that. His wife would.
(He exits.)

FLORENCE
His wife...

(The Hungarian Playoff transitions to...)

Scene two: Svetlana's Hotel Room
(Svetlana enters, accompanied by the Soviet Tactician. He deposits her luggage at her feet, presents her with her passport and an envelope, and exits.)

(SOMEONE ELSE'S STORY)


The tactician here is a greatly diminished version of the Broadway character Nikolai. In an earlier draft I was using some Sydney dialogue which references a Tactician, so I let that character take the few bits of Nikolai I was keeping. My current (and final, I think) revision has lost the dialogue that references him, but the character remains.

And yes, I'll have to equivocate Brother Marvin Hinten, S.'s endorsement of Cadriel. He's been very very helpful to me in this process, and I've used some of the same changes his script has.

His is more faithful to the Nelson book and song order, whereas mine is a little more bent in the direction of Sydney, but it is still a vast improvement on the standard script.

_________________
Image


Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:25 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:26 pm
Posts: 1268
Location: California
Post 
So what we did....

Act 2

Bangkok
Television Report
Scene with Anatoly and Florence from the broadway script leading into
You and I
Soviet Machine
Interview
Scene from new concert with Walter and Molokov leading into
The Argument
Scene with Svetlana and Anatoly from broadway script
Someone Else's Story (Svet with lyrics written for her character)

_________________
"High School Is Such A Serious Thing.
These Problems Matter"

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit


Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:26 pm
Posts: 1268
Location: California
Post 
kaelidancer wrote:
Well, after sleeping on it I've decided I like it. I tweaked the dialogue surrounding it a little, but otherwise I'm leaving it as above for the time being.

Here's the song order for my revision:

Quote:
Act I
Prologue/Story of Chess (Broadway version, sung by Arbiter & Assistants)
Freddie's Entrance (both verses)
Press Conference (Broadway version)
Where I Want to Be
Argument I (How Many Women)
Merchandisers (All three verses, Broadway lyrics with Walter solo)
Diplomats (Both verses, London lyrics)
Arbiter (London lyrics)
Chess #1
Quartet
American & Florence / Nobody's Side
Terrace Duet / Who'd Ever Think It
One Night in Bangkok
Chess #2
Florence Quits / A Taste of Pity
Heaven Help My Heart
Reporters
Anthem

Act II
Hungarian Folk Song
Someone Else's Story (Svetlana, with Sydney Lyrics)
No Contest
Argument II (Concept Album)
You & I (Broadway, with Anatoly/Florence and Anatoly/Svetlana sections)
Freddie Goes Metal
Let's Work Together
I Know Him So Well
Attempted Reconciliation (from Sydney... "Silly boy, woman who..." etc)
Pity the Child
Endgame (A Sydney/Broadway hybrid using Rice's NY lyrics)
You & I Reprise (London version, with the introductory "This is an all too familiar scene..." verse, and wonderful choir part)


So there you have it. My personal flavor of Chess, basically a streamlined Nelson book with some Sydney thrown in the smooth out the rough parts in Act II. I'm pretty happy with it, this week. But, owing to my gender, you know that could change at any moment. ;)


Sounds good too! I just hate "How many women" but other than that, that's gonna be a solid version.

_________________
"High School Is Such A Serious Thing.
These Problems Matter"

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit


Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 11:45 am
Posts: 109
Location: Reading, UK
Post Re:
Thom_Boyer wrote:
It works, and it gives some context for Svetlana's SES being sung between "Interview" and "The Deal." Just out of curiosity, where would you be placing IKHSW? And what would you be cutting to accommodate this scene?


How about anatoly storming out to the hotel bar, Florence left speechless, can see her slumping on the loo in tears, wiping eyes with loo roll, going back, starting ikhsw, we see pov shots as she assesses where she is... Cross-fade to Svetlana's hotel room for her parts... Flashbacks...

Basically take cues and ideas from the montages during Lost in the woods from frozen 2 ( they were both power ballads, or Separate Lives shots...)


Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:32 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.