The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Suggestions for a pop/rock audition song? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Post Suggestions for a pop/rock audition song?
My college is doing Return to the Forbidden Planet in the fall, which I'm not terribly familiar with, but I do know that it is a jukebox musical with 50s/60s pop/rock music. It will be the first musical I've auditioned for in awhile, and I'm a teensy bit nervous because I don't really have any audition songs I've used in the past that fit the mold.

So even if you don't know the show, can I get some not outrageously overdone suggestions for a pop/rock tune? I'm a soprano, but I've got a pretty decent belt/mix as well. The only one that comes to mind for me is "Holding Out for a Hero" from Footloose but I have a feeling that is going to be way overdone, and it's more 80s than 50s/60s.

Please help!!

Also, I realize I probably should have posted this in the audition song thread, even though I already sort of did, to no avail.....apologies.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:22 am

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
I can't think of any specific songs right now, but check out the songs used in "Shout! The Mod Musical". They're all popular 1960's songs.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:31 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Some 60's staples: Walk On By; I Say A Little Prayer; Downtown; It's my Party; What the World Needs Now; These Boots Are Made for Walkin';He's So Fine; Band of Gold; Bobby's Girl; Johhny Angel; Baby Love; Stop In The Name of Love; I Only Wanna Be With You; My Boyfriend's Back... all fun songs with some real star potential. I know more if none of these click.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Brig and teapot! I also looked into songs from "The Marvelous Wonderettes," as it is also a 50s/60s jukebox musical and I'm really digging "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me," I think it fits my voice as well as sung in that show. I'll probably head to a sheet music store later this week and read through the other suggestions until I find a perfect fit or a few good options.

Thanks for the help ladies :)

Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:35 pm

"You Don't Own Me" is another great idea. It's a very passionate song that tells a very good story.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:04 pm

I just listened to it, another great suggestion! Works well for the character I am aiming for as well (Miranda) Thanks for the help everyone :)

Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]