The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
The Little Mermaid Jr. 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
Post The Little Mermaid Jr.
I don't know whether to feel repulsed or ecstatic. Ariel has been my dream role number 1 for as long as I can remember (Part of Your World was the first song I learned to sing all the way through), but part of me things Disney shows just shouldn't be touched...I've seen way too many people try to pull of Beauty and the Beast and it just ended badly.

Quote:
The Broadway Workshop has been chosen to pilot Disney’s The Little Mermaid JR. The production will be used as a development site for the physical production elements and a venue to 'test' script content with young actors. Disney’s The Little Mermaid JR. is an hour long show featuring songs from the original animated film and the Broadway score.

From The Broadway Theatre Workshop.

The thing is with this is that I thought (read: heard) that the Little Mermaid was being reconceptualized, getting a whole new director and choreographer before the National Tour gets launched? I know that on the Disney on Broadway website, the TLM page no longer says 'National Tour starts Fall 2010'. It just seems strange to me, to be workshopping a jr. version of a show that could change drastically by the next time it gets performed professionally.[/url]

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:00 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Company
Main Role: Performer
Ew no. These junior shows just need to stop.
Quote:
I know that on the Disney on Broadway website, the TLM page no longer says 'National Tour starts Fall 2010'. It just seems strange to me, to be workshopping a jr. version of a show that could change drastically by the next time it gets performed professionally.

Maybe the jr. version will be pretty much like the movie rather than the Broadway musical?

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:55 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I hate these Disney Jr. versions. Are middle schools really capable of performing the technical asspects of the show?

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:38 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post THE LITTLE MERMAID JR
It's all about perspective, folks. Looking at the pictures, it looks like it was quite a sweet production for kids in which the discipline of stage production is learned and practised, which is surely the point - rather than, as implied by musialman, matching the technical requirements of a Broadway scale show....

Image Image Image

Morethanjust16bars wrote:
I've seen way too many people try to pull off Beauty and the Beast and it just ended badly.

Hence then creation of Beauty and the Beast Jr, so that people won't have to pull off Beauty and the Beast!

Morethanjust16bars wrote:
I thought (read: heard) that The Little Mermaid was being reconceptualized, getting a whole new director and choreographer before the National Tour gets launched.... It just seems strange to me to be workshopping a Jr. version of a show that could change drastically by the next time it gets performed professionally.

I don't follow the logic of your objections. A new staging for the full scale production doesn't mean a new book and score, even if some tweaking takes place. Since one should - generally speaking, for there are exceptions to the rule - not simply be copying the direction and/or choreography of the original production. So why should the creation of a Junior version of a show, which surely focuses of the adaptation of the book and score, be put off until a new staging of the full length piece takes place?

beccaxoxo wrote:
These junior shows just need to stop.

Why? To cater to the snobbish attitudes of those who don't realise their place and purpose?

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]