The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Vocal Range on Resume 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Vocal Range on Resume
What is the best way to state vocal range on a resume? I am going to be auditioning for an Equity musical (for some very big names), and I want my res to look the best it can. Should I just list my type? Should I include the notes of my full range (which I may or may not be able to check before the audition)?

Also, my voice falls somewhere between baritone and tenor (I'm able to hit the high notes in songs like Later from ALNM, but also can sing the lower notes of El Gallo) and I've been told I sound great singing songs of both vocal types. Should I use "baritenor"? "Tenor/Baritone" (or the reverse)?

Thanks for your advice!

Edit: Just wanted to add that I have taken singing lessons from different instructors, and have been classified alternately as both a tenor and as a baritone, so there's never been any agreement by my vocal coaches.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:19 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Honestly, my best advice to you is just list the notes within your range. For example, like you, I'm also a Baritenor. I never put that though. Instead, I just say: Range: G2-A4.

But if you don't know the exact notes, your best bet is to just say Baritone. Baritenor isn't really a technical name. I hope this helps!

Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I would hesitate to put actual note range on a resume because it can vary from day to day. Somedays I can sing a note and some days I can't. Also, sometimes I can sing a note in one song, but can't in another, simply because of the way the song is written (vowel, approach, interval etc.). If you tell them you can sing an A4, you'd better be darn sure you can sing an A4 anytime/anywhere.

I would just put a voice type. I actually have no problem with "baritenor"; it's probably not legal, but it is pretty much accepted. Or you can just put the voice type for whatever you have the most roles for. The people casting can see by looking at the roles on your resume that you have a broader range. And really, don't most musical theatre singers sing from both the tenor and baritone rep.?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]