The Resource For Musicals

Fiddler On the Roof Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Any advice on portrayal of Chava? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Any advice on portrayal of Chava?
I was just cast as Chava in my performing arts high school's show of Fiddler on the Roof. I'm a sophomore, and order of ability is dance, voice, acting. My appearance may be a little different than expected, seeing as I'm the shortest of all five daughters, standing at 5'1". I'm rather petite and pale, with long, straight gold-brown hair. My personality itself seems similar to Chava, though I'm not finished researching yet. However, I have several questions, and would appreciate your input.

First of all, Fyedka and Chava. At first, what is their relationship? It seems to me that Fyedka is interested in Chava, but Chava gives him the cold shoulder originally, but my interpretation is not always the same as others. Also, are they as romantically intense on the stage as Tzeitel or Hodel? They elope and all, but when actually on the stage, is their any interaction between them? Like do they kiss?

On the emotional scene (where Tevye is abandoning Chava from the family), has anyone found a good way to prepare for such an intense scene? Actually putting the emotions to the words in a believable way is probably going to be my biggest problem.

Any other advice you could give me on how to best research and portray Chava would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:28 pm

There are many recent threads about the character of Chava. Most of them should still be on the first page or two if you'd like to have a look.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:49 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks...I've read them, but couldn't find any info on some of the questions above. I'll reread though.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:20 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Chava is the family bookworm; she first catches Fyedka's attention in Avram's bookshop. In stage productions they first meet in Motel's tailor shop, which Chava watches for a few minutes while Motel goes to get his wedding hat. In the movie Chava is walking a cow along a road when Sasha and several other Russians accost her. Fyedka, hidden in a corn field, emerges, shoos away Sasha and the others, then tries to start his conversation with Chava. She is non-responsive at first, but warms to him. Later they are seen embracing and kissing; Tevye returns Fyedka's greeting lukewarmly, then asks Chava what they were talking about. Tevye is incensed when Chava tells him she and Fyedka want to be married, but she goes ahead anyway, prompting Tevye to declare her dead. Near the end, when the time comes to leave Anatevka, Chava and Fyedka went to tell Tevye they too were leaving, and why; Tevye gave them the cold shoulder at first, but Fyedka was not to be put off. When it was almost too late, Tevye muttered under his breath, "G-d be with you!", which Tzeitel relayed - a hint of a possible future reconciliation.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:56 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]