The Resource For Musicals

Bye Bye Birdie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
How big is Mrs. MacAfee's role? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post How big is Mrs. MacAfee's role?
Hi, I was just casted as Mrs. MacAfee and I know that she sings but I was wondering about the role. How big is the part and what is it like? I don't really know the show and I'm wondering if I should be upset that I didn't get Mae Peterson?

Thanks
:)

Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:55 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Mae Peterson doesn't really sing. Also, Mrs. McAfee can appear in large cast numbers as chorus. That's what my school is doing. :] Mrs. McAfee is a good part. She has solo lines in two or more songs as well. :]]]

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:56 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Mrs. MacAfee is a decent-sized role. She sings in "Ed Sullivan," "Kids," and the reprise of "Kids." Depending on your production, she could also double as adult chorus for "Healthy Normal American Boy," the dance sequence of "Honestly Sincere," and "One Last Kiss." She also gets several substantial dialogue scenes.

Yes, it's probably a smaller role than Mae Peterson (although not THAT much smaller) and I'm sure Mae must be an extremely fun role to play (ours nearly stole the show with her antics). However, Mrs. MacAfee is a good role too, and I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

Plus, Mrs. MacAfee sings more than Mae does. Mae doesn't have any songs apart from ensembles (unless your production takes the optional number "A Mother Doesn't Matter Anymore" that is offered by Tams-Witmark).

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:10 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Wow, she sings a lot! Thanks for all your comments! I'm excited now :D

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:24 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I got Mae Peterson, and it is a more funny part than Mrs. Macafee, which is a more serious role

Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:57 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I think Mrs. MacAfee's scene with her husband (the one where he's trying to eat breakfast, pre-monologue) is one of the funniest in the show.

The line, "How 'bout a nice warm 7-Up?" always gets me... I don't know why. :lol:

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:58 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Re:
Luc wrote:
I think Mrs. MacAfee's scene with her husband (the one where he's trying to eat breakfast, pre-monologue) is one of the funniest in the show.

The line, "How 'bout a nice warm 7-Up?" always gets me... I don't know why. :lol:

Agreed, if played well, that scene is pretty funny lol. Mrs. MacAfee is the isle of calm to Mr. MacAfee's rantings. She can sometimes get lost in the action onstage, but it's a decent-sized role.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]