The Resource For Musicals

Little Shop of Horrors Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Song choice for Little Shop audition for Audrey 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Song choice for Little Shop audition for Audrey
Hi there,
I am sooo excited to audition for Little Shop of Horrors. Do you think that a belted song will come over better or more of a ballad?
I was thinking of A Call From the Vatican for a song choice. I would love any help.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:14 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I would go in there, belt "On My Own" in a key much higher than it was written, then cough up a lung. Go back, retrieve the lung from the lap of the casting director, and then tell him that you've going to sing "Sweet Transvestite" instead, accompanying yourself on a pair of false testicles played like a tambourine. Then, do unspeakable things to a chowchow puppy during your Shakespeare monologue, which you should deliver in an Al Pacino impersonation. To finish your audition, sing "I Enjoy Being A Girl" in a basso profundo range while defecating. You'll totally get the part of Sheila or Jeannie. Hair is totally the show for you to... oh, wait. Wrong forum.

I'd suggest either "On My Own" or "Part Of Your World," a nearly identical piece from the same composer who did Little Shop.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Oooookay, then! That ^ was ... um, enlightening? 8O

I would suggest a belted song ... I know she sings ballad-like at the beginning, but "Suddenly Seymour" is one of the most important and remembered songs of the show. Anyone (usually) can pull off a ballad, but belting high (and well) will help you impress the director.

I know it's slightly more kiddish than Audrey would be, but you could try "Good Morning Baltimore" from Hairspray ... big belting song ... you could also make it sound less "teen-ish" for Audrey ... :wink:

Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:24 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Audition Song
My local theater just did this show and Audrey was double cast. Both girls auditioned with Olive's songs from The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. (My Friend the Dictionary and The I Love You Song). Both have a softer and a beltier side. :)

Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:22 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]