The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Belle audition songs...L5Y? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Belle audition songs...L5Y?
I've got an audition for BatB coming up in a few weeks, and I've been going back and forth between songs for it. I am going for Belle, and have been preparing for this audition every day since the beginning of February, and I am hoping for the best.

For the audition song itself, though, I am looking for a song that is similar in style to those that Belle sings, that also carries a message that Belle would convey. I'm also being very picky with the familiarity of the song. I want to make sure I'm singing something that nobody else will be singing.

So, my two main choices as of right now are "Someone Else's Story" from Chess, and "Goodbye Until Tomorrow" from The Last 5 Years. Anyone want to help me out, please?

I am also open to any suggestions that you all have.

Thank you so much!!!!!

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:52 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't think I would choose "Goodbye Until Tomorrow" for a BatB audition. Musically I don't think its all that similiar, plus the piano part is nasty to ask an audition pianist to sight read. A general rule of thumb is no JRB and no Sondheim for auditions (unless its a Sondheim show or you're specifically asked in the audition notice for a song from one of these two gentlemen).

With that said, Someone Else's Story, I'm also not sure about.

My best advice would be to research other Alan Menken songs, as he is the music composer for BatB. The lyricists were Howard Ashman and Tim Rice, which might also help in doing song research.

As for wanting something that isn't too overdone, I'm not sure what level of theatre this is for, but on the community circuit, even though its a general no-no people pull out a lot of Last Five Years stuff and I believe Someone Else's Story is also a bit overdone.

I hope I was at least somewhat helpful. Sorry I don't have an actual song for you, but perhaps if you post this in the Audition Song sticky in the Auditions forum, people will have some ideas for you. Everyone is very helpful there and fairly quick to respond!

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:36 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think Far From the Home I Love from Fiddler is a perfect Belle audition song.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I could see that working. Its got the messages of Belle's two huge ballads, Home and A Change In Me, in it and styllistically its somewhat similiar.

Question is, is it possibly a bit overdone of a song?

I LOVE that song though!!

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:19 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Okay, I got this song recommended to me when I auditioned for Belle, and it seems to be a popular recommendation, but I don't get it! It's actually sayign the complete opposite of what Belle believes. Belle wants to get away from her home, and the daughter singing "Far From the Home I Love" (Chava?Hodel? sorry I always get Tevye's daughters mixed up.) wants to stay home. Makes no sense? lol. But I love the song anyway.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ConverseSneaker wrote:

Okay, I got this song recommended to me when I auditioned for Belle, and it seems to be a popular recommendation, but I don't get it! It's actually sayign the complete opposite of what Belle believes. Belle wants to get away from her home, and the daughter singing "Far From the Home I Love" (Chava?Hodel? sorry I always get Tevye's daughters mixed up.) wants to stay home. Makes no sense? lol. But I love the song anyway.

Belle wants to get away from home, but once she's away...she longs to go back. Then in the second Act, she starts to see all the changes within herself, hence a change in me. So I think the song actually spans a lot of her emotions.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:43 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I agree the The Last Five Years is a bit of a risk, and I can't see Someone Else's Story being suitable either, in subject matter or showing the required range (isn't Belle more of a soprano?).

Fully agree to look to other songs by the same composer as BatB - have you considered 'Somewhere That's Green' from Little Shop of Horrors - from memory the range and vocal tone required could suit Belle quite well, as well as expressing the hopes and dreams of the character (at a stretch!)

But having said all this, I still think you are better going into an audition well-prepared, confident of your song and committed to the character you're going to portray - if your song choice is not quite right for the character, but you present well, you might be directed in the audition to try things in the way a director sees the character and what s/he is looking for or asked to sing another song at call back :) . Badly expressed, i know, but I hope it makes sense!

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:57 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Somewhere That's Green is a good Belle audition song, but loads of girls use it to audition for Belle. So if you choose that, keep in mind that at your audition, it may be fairly overdone or not, depending on what level of theatre you are at. A bigger risk for being overdone would be to do Disney.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:46 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Last 5 Years is completely different from BatB.. especially for Belle. Definitely don't sing Goodbye Until Tomorrow.

Steward/Ensemble in Anything Goes

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Location: look to the western sky!! you ll find elphie there, i live in spain
i thought of:
journey to the past (anastasia)
Just around the riverbend (pocahontas)
colours of the wind (pocahontas)
someone like you (jekyll)

what do you think???? i really need help....

oh i m editing, i just herad a change in me, i didn t even know it existed! (i m spanish and in spain i think nobody knows its existence) so i thought, do you think i could sing that song? nobody knows it exists so i m pretty sure i ll be the only one to sing it, or is it too risky to sing a song from the musical you re auditioning for??

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:58 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

oh i have exactly the same problem!
i thought of:
journey to the past (anastasia)
Just around the riverbend (pocahontas)
colours of the wind (pocahontas)
someone like you (jekyll)

what do you think???? i really need help....

oh i m editing, i just herad a change in me, i didn t even know it existed! (i m spanish and in spain i think nobody knows its existence) so i thought, do you think i could sing that song? nobody knows it exists so i m pretty sure i ll be the only one to sing it, or is it too risky to sing a song from the musical you re auditioning for??

It depends. Is A Change In Me in the spanish version of BatB. If not, I would think it would be ok to sing that. If not, I'm not sure.

As for the songs mentioned, I think most of them tend to be quite overdone in the U.S. but maybe they aren't as much overdone in Spain? So it would depend. If they are overdone, I wouldn't suggest singing them.
Perhaps do some research on songs by Alan Menken, as he is the composer.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:27 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Location: look to the western sky!! you ll find elphie there, i live in spain
At least anastasia is not really overdone, well actually disney is not really overdone here, it s not as appreciated as "in the outside world" (gosh i d love to live in the outside world!)
as far as i know, i think theres not a translation to a change in me, at least they they brought the musical the first time here, the son g wasn t on it, but maybe this time it is, in any case, i don t have the spanish tralation so i think i d better not sng a song in english in an spanish audition (gosh i m telling here my whole life!!)

i think i m definately going to sing anastasia s journey to the past (in spanish AAAAA HORRIBLE!) but well, it s something...

ok i have a crisis I DON T KNOW WAHT TO SING!
i ve been reading through a lot of pages of this thread, and a lot of people have sung someone like you for the audition AND NOW I HAVE DOUBTS BETWEEN THAT ONE OR JOURNEY TO THE PAST!

please advice before i jump off the window (lol)

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next