The Resource For Musicals

A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
A few Forum questions... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post A few Forum questions...
1) MTI has Lycus listed as a baritone; I'd say that he's a bass-baritone at best. My question is since he only has a few lines in both EOTHA Maid and Finale, is vocal range a must in playing him?
2) I know that a lot of you feel that Forum is Sondheim's easiest score. However, I heard from someone outside MDN that it's his easiest ONLY in terms of score, and that, like every show, it's not without its challenges. I'm just wondering what is challenging about it?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:45 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Personally I think Lycus is more spoken than sung so the range is not so important. His big number House of Lycus is nearly all spoken apart from the odd line. As with much in Forum its the delivery that counts.
Having just completed Sweeney Todd I have to say the score to Forum is easier but that does not mean it's easy. You still need players who are musical to get around the score. Pseudolus is very demanding vocally because of Sondheims lyrics and the way the songs are arranged. Domina in my opinion has a very differcult song in act 2 - "Dirty Old Man Of Mine" and both Hero and Philia have plenty to think about in thier numbers. While I would agree Forum is not a "Sweeney" it still has it's pitfalls. Although I will add now it is a great fun show to perform.

Psudelus - Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum
Judus - JC
Pirate King - Pirates Of Penzance

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:46 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

While Forum's music isn't challenging, it's the book that can be tough sometimes. Of course, if you're working with wonderful comedic actors, then it's not extremely challenging and your performance will almost certainly be great. However, there are people out there, be they inexperienced or simply not particularly talented, that have NO comedic timing. If you're putting on Forum with a cast that doesn't have flawless timing, this is where challenges will present themself. If the timing and body language aren't practically flawless, this is where you'll run into problems. Hope that helped :)

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]