The Resource For Musicals

All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Woman in White...??? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post The Woman in White...???
I know nothing about it and can't seem to find much online.

anyone have any answers for me? :D

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:17 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: The Woman in White...???
metaphor17 wrote:
anyone have any answers for me? :D

What's your question :?

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:02 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
Not sure what else you're looking for here babe.

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:03 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

This link should give you more of an idea.

http://www.reallyuseful.com/rug/shows/wiw/background.htm

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elena-Roger

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

get the soundtrack it's quite good. It's opening night of the entire show on cd (some songs recorded in the studio, because of audience noise) and you can picture it being an amazing show unlike the weird digital set extranvaganza it turned out to be.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I think the biggest problem, strictly from listening to the recording, is that it's basically the same five songs repeated over and over again to different lyrics with a new one inserted sparingly here and there with a tiny bit of dialouge...in other words...it's too repetative...which is so Webber.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

yeah, but I actually love these melodies! Phantom it was annoying. Superstar I was happy that a melody was repeated at least twice cause then it reminds you how awsome that melody was.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I have mixed feelings about The Woman In White. I have the OLCR, and the singing is excellent. Angela Christian is especially powerful as Anne Catherick, and the show has some really beautiful themes, however no particularly memorable songs. It's long, it's dragged out, it feels like an attempt to recreate Phantom (unsuccessfully), and some of the songs are just plain bad. For example, "Lammastide" (besides being a completely irrelevant piece of music) sounds like a note-for-note ripoff of The Macarena, and I'm not even exaggerating. The lyrics are also pretty weak. In one song, the character Count Fosco actually rhymes "house guest" with "mouse guest." Truly cringe-worthy. Nevertheless, there are some beautiful melodies, a great gothic atmosphere, and it makes for good background music because the story is ridiculously easy to follow (thanks to a complete absence of subtext). Plus, the performances are phenomenal in the OLCR. So I give it sort of a half-assed recommendation.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

The book was written by Wilkie Collins, and was actually quite good.

Although....you probably mean the musical huh?

The girl that played the original Marion in WestEnd was given some serious props for it for a while. I love the song "All For Laura" (don't ask me why) aaand.... "I Hope You Like It Here" is pretty entertaining.

I'm easily amused though. I think it depends on who you are as to whether or not you like it.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:56 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Crushed the original novel into a million pieces.

Part of me likes the musical, since it has something to do with Wilkie Collins, and I love the performances of Anne and Musical!Marian. I also like some songs. Or one. I love 'All For Laura', which is kind of ironic, as it's based around the one thing that makes me loathe the adaptation, and that's the change of Marian's character. Completely different people.

If I suspend my knowledge of the greatest female heroine of all literary history for a few moments though, than Marian's song for her sister is a very powerful one. But I remember pretty quickly that it's just wrong. WRONG, I say.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:13 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post The Woman in White
I saw it in London with the original cast and enjoyed it very much. The cast were all excellent, and I enjoyed everything about it from the music to the projections, which seem to have bothered some people. There were some lyrics that certainly could have been better, though.

I read the book, which I liked (but wasn't in love with) so the changes from the book didn't bother me. There was no way they could include all of such a long and detailed story in a musical. As first performed in London, it was three hours long as it was (including the interval).

I understand that they changed the ending for Broadway. I prefer the ending I saw with Marian alone on the stage--not trotting off after Walter and Laura to take care of their future offspring.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:46 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The way they changed what the "secret" was from the book destroyed it for me. OK the "secret" in the book is (arguably) a little tame now, but it was still an unexpected twist and set up a good conclusion.

In the musical the stupid girl bangs on for nearly the entire show about a "secret" which turns out to be something totally predictable, and as she ends up shouting it out to all the world, why not just tell it to Hartright and Laura in the first place?

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next