New Hip-Hop/Anime Style Production of Pippin 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post New Hip-Hop/Anime Style Production of Pippin
How's this for doing some weird stuff to Pippin:

Fresh Magic to Do: East West Players Creates Hip-Hop and Anime-Infused Pippin

Lindsey Wilson wrote:
A hip-hop and anime-influenced staging of the Tony Award-winning musical, Pippin, will wrap up East West Players' 42nd anniversary season in Los Angeles May 14-June 8....

"Anime and hip-hop are emerging forms for live theatre, and when I looked at the story of Pippin, it just clicked," Dang said in a statement. "Colorful characters, music with a great contemporary beat, evoking Fosse dance moves of today just seemed to go hand in hand with the concept."

Music director Marc Macalintal will operate a computer synthesizer to accommodate the new contemporary music arrangements. DJ LinoType, who will be mixing music on turntables, and guitarist Vince Reyes, are also in the "band."

Later days
David

Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:29 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Cool concept!
Dear RainbowJude,

I think that a Hip-Hop version of "Pippin" sounds cool! I was thinking of that sort of idea (you know, the big jackets, the baggy pants, the tons of chains, etc.) awhile back, so I think that it would be perfect!

Thanks in advance for your reply.
8)

I want someone who's the deviant version of Fred MacMurray, David Tomlinson & William Schallert....but who has the looks of guys like Dan Haggerty, Kris Kristofferson & Tom Selleck.

Fri May 09, 2008 2:12 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Anime Hiphop Pippin
I have tickets to see this on the 25th. I'll be sure to let you know if the concept works. The early reviews are positive.

Wed May 14, 2008 1:38 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post hip hop/anime version?
Did ja go see it? whattaya think?

Wed May 28, 2008 11:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post EWP Pippin
It was absolutely amazing! I was stunned by the talent the two leads had, and the ensemble was wonderful. The hiphop moves were incorporated into the basic Fosse choreography in such a way as to give it a fresh new feeling. The Japanese samurai look to the Charlemagne costume, with a bright multicolored cottoncandy look to the Anime inspired women's costumes all somehow worked together, and the stark Neo black trenchcoat on the Main Player all were visually a delight. Gedde Watanabe did a wonderful job in drag as Berthe. I sincerely enjoyed the production, and felt it gave new life to what might be a slightly tired play if it had been staged in the old "flower-child" style of the 70's. I had no idea EWP was so vibrant and full of such talented actors and craftspersons. All I can say is WOW.

Thu May 29, 2008 1:20 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post 1/2 price PIPPIN in L.A.?
Thanks for the info, Teacup! I gotta go see for myself. btw, I checked the theatre's website, www.eastwestplayers.org and saw that they are having a "Next Generation" Night (I suppose trying to reach young 'uns) this coming Wed., June 4, with free pizza and a DJ before the show. and then someone emailed me that they might be offering 2 for 1s for tht nite only! I gonna call tomorrow to check it out.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:45 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post oops... sorry, i meant teapot, not teacup!
sorry, Teapot, for the typo.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Teapot, teacup, no big deal. If you know ANYONE else who has gone, the theater has included 2 for one coupons for another visit in the programs, so you might be able to save that way. Otherwise go to www.LAStageTIX.com for half price tix for midweek shows...at least thursdays, maybe wednesdays and thursdays. You have to let me know what you think of the production! They've extended to later in June, so you have a little more time. Good luck!

Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:46 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I did hear the show was pretty awesome. If it really succeeds, we'll finally know what the "new look of Pippin" is that we've been looking for here on the forum for so long.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]