The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
If they ever end up remaking the movie... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post If they ever end up remaking the movie...
What would you do differently, if anything?

I have always thought that the song Somewhere should either be sung by Tony and Maria on film, or (and this came from a dream I had) by Doc. It sounds weird, but he's the only one who sees the futility of the concept.

Imagine, as my dream did, Christopher Walken as Doc, driving down the gang-riddled streets in his beat-up car, singing softly to himself as the two lovers harmonize upstairs.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I like the whole Doc concept! He is my favorite:)
But I read in this book that its intentional that Doc and Officer Krupke and the other older people don't sing in the show; I think they wanted to represent that adults don't understand young people. something along those lines...

Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:53 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

By the end, Doc has figured it out in his own apocalyptic way- there's no hope now, but there will be eventually. That's why he's the one who hits on it after the "rape."

"You kids make this world lousy!" "But that's the way we found it."

Very tightly, very soon.
In my sordid saloon..."

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

but brilliant.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:25 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

You're quite right...none of the adults sing a note. In the movie, they ALMOST did...according to the shooting script that came with the DVD, they wanted to give Schrank and Krupke a few couplets during that shot of them in the squad car during the Quintet...Schrank was supposed to have some lines about stopping the rumble, cleaning up the neighborhood, getting these punks, while Krupke responded to each with "right!" Thank the good LORD they didn't go with it. There's a REASON why none of the adults sing...the music, the passion, belongs to the young in this show. It gives a real sense of the generational divide, even if we don't register it consciously.

What I'd like to see in a remake? A better Tony, for one! One who really gives a SENSE of having once been a tough gang leader. Even Richard Beymer himself expressed bewilderment that he could pull it off...and sadly, he was right.

Raid the High School of the Performing Arts for young actors who both look the parts and have the talent, even if it means casting unknowns. (That's the only other problem with the movie...some of the actors do look a bit old to be playing teens.)

And I'm not sure how well it would work onscreen, but seeing the Somewhere Ballet would be superb.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

You want to see them old? Look up Twin Peaks to see Richard Beymer and Russ Tamblyn as adults. Wow.

And as far as the adults never singing, if they can sing anywhere, it'd be "Somewhere." The "Girl on a Balcony" as a detached, random singer never did much for me. The song is so intrinsically related to the show, to make it sung by a Generic Singing Person robs it of a certain something.

Very tightly, very soon.
In my sordid saloon..."

Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

And I'm not sure how well it would work onscreen, but seeing the Somewhere Ballet would be superb.

welllll have you seen the movie version of Carousel? Because they do the Ballet Sequence in that, and I quite like it. Its actually one of my favorite scenes in any movie musical. But I've never seen it live before, so I really have nothing to compare it to.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:52 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Oh, of course...but what I mean is the contrast between seeing the gritty streets of New York in a photo-realistic context (as opposed to a stage set) and then going into a dream ballet. I'd love to see it, but it might prove a little jarring in terms of clashing cinematic "languages."

Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

oh, I see what your saying. Like, in Carousel they have the beach, which is a ballet-esque place, but New York City wouldn't really work out quite as well.

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:35 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

oh, I see what your saying. Like, in Carousel they have the beach, which is a ballet-esque place, but New York City wouldn't really work out quite as well.

They could make it into a sort of "dream ballet" that wouldn't have to be confined to a particular realistic-looking location.

Tue May 27, 2008 12:05 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I just realized where my inspiration for the adult singing "Somewhere" came from... Tom Waits's famous performance of "Somewhere" on the ASPCA commercials.

Very tightly, very soon.
In my sordid saloon..."

Tue May 27, 2008 3:41 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

:) I personally loved the movie and although a remake would be fun, the movie had the original Broadway cast in it. What can compare to that. I would really not like to see a bunch of unknowns just because I don't think that should be where people get their "big breaks". It they really wanted to impress me with nobodys, put them on tour and see how they do on stage. Because frankly stage acting is a lot harder than acting on film.

One, because you're in front of a live audience =D>

Two, there is no room for mistakes. You mess up on camera you can do the shot again. #-o :oops:

Three, people on stage have to really be able to act and show emotion through movements not just though their face.

Four, I know how hard stage acting is and how nervewraking (spelling is not my strong suit) it is.

So yeah, you tell me why they should do a remake. :?:

But I do think Christopher Walken as Doc would be a really good choice. But someone said that the music belongs to the youth and they're absolutly correct. But someone also said that some of the actors looked too old well that's because they were the original cast and age doesn't really matter on stage as long as you're not really, really old.

Yeah. :!:

Wed May 28, 2008 5:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next