The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Christine's Voice 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Christine's Voice
Ok, so as I am an aspiring actress I am curious about most of the lead character's vocal ranges.
My current obsession is Phantom so naturally I am intrested in the part of Christine.
My question is what is the highest note Christing has to hit? I know most of you wonder this as she has an unaturally high voice (JK!). But you know.
Sarah Brighton hits a high Eb. The note above the C two octaves about middle C.

My voice is currently about three octaves, maybe more. And I think (maybe) I can hit that note.

I want to make sure but if my voice isn't that high or if it hasn't matured enough (I'm only 14) , anyone have any suggestions as to how to raise my vocal range? Please! I'm going to be taking singing lessons some time next fall through next June/May.

Thanks

Wed May 21, 2008 5:14 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Well what do ya know, I found it myself. In fact anyone interested in finding out who you would need to audition for within your vocal range, click on the following link. Tell me who you would audition for given the chance.

http://www.geocities.com/phantomonbroadway/char_desc.htm

Wed May 21, 2008 9:24 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Christine's Voice
MuzikalThetrFreakXtrodina wrote:
Ok, so as I am an aspiring actress I am curious about most of the lead character's vocal ranges.
My current obsession is Phantom so naturally I am intrested in the part of Christine.
My question is what is the highest note Christing has to hit? I know most of you wonder this as she has an unaturally high voice (JK!). But you know. Sarah Brighton hits a high Eb. The note above the C two octaves about middle C.

My voice is currently about three octaves, maybe more. And I think (maybe) I can hit that note.

I want to make sure but if my voice isn't that high or if it hasn't matured enough (I'm only 14) , anyone have any suggestions as to how to raise my vocal range? Please! I'm going to be taking singing lessons some time next fall through next June/May.

Thanks

Christine's higest note is a high E (end note of the title song), she also hits a couple of high Cs.

In your singing lessons you'll learn how to properly support the notes. Much of the work is to learn how to control your breath, by letting out enough air to support the note well (to avoid straining of the vocal chords), while at the same time saving air to sustain and control the note.

Untrained singers often "flung" out all air at once (listen to Gerard Butler's high notes), because this is the only way they manage to hit a high note. But the result is strained notes that cannot be held for too long, and in the end it's damaging the voice.

I'm sorry I can't give you any specific advice - teaching someone to sing over the web is hard... Best of luck!!

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wed May 21, 2008 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's not just about hitting the note it's HOW you sing it and what personal style you give it. At 14 you are too young to attempt Phantom really, be very careful experimenting on your own.

Thu May 22, 2008 6:21 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I have some advice. Don't sing it. Don't even attempt to at fourteen. No Phantom or Wicked for that matter. It will destroy your vocal cords quicker than anything.

Give it a few years and then try.

Thu May 22, 2008 12:14 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Jersey Boys!!
Main Role: Performer
Seriously, it is the ONLY way any human being could hit those notes, and morover, hit them correctly!
Good luck :)

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:40 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I have some advice. Don't sing it. Don't even attempt to at fourteen. No Phantom or Wicked for that matter. It will destroy your vocal cords quicker than anything.

Give it a few years and then try.

Oops. See, I saw the movie when I was ten years old, and ever since that night, I have had every fiber of by being set on getting the role of Christine someday. Therefore, I have been practicing her songs ever since I was ten. I am now thirteen.
I can hit every one of her notes well (this is coming from my mom, a trained singer) except the high E at the end of Phantom which I can hit badly.
So am I screwed or what?

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:42 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I would just stop hitting the really high notes until you're older, unless you know 100% sure that you are not straining AT ALL.

Still exercise your lower and middle range, but be very gentle with that upper range. AND DON'T STRAIN.

You don't want to damage your voice.

Upcoming:
none

Past:
Twin #2 in Peter Pan, Milkmaid/Chorus in Oliver, Belinda in A Christmas Carol

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:56 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...
I have a question though- what if one can hit them naturally? I know two girls who are rising freshman/rising sophomore in high school who can with ease, so they claim.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:06 am
Profile WWW

This thread makes me giggle so vivaciously it's audacious!

Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:48 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

hehe... whoops then. I've been taking singing lessons since i was like 9ish and my goal even then was to sing stuff from the phantom. of course, my teacher never let me (very wise though it annoyed me at the time) but this year i've changed schools and my new singing teacher is an actual opera singer and apparently i can actually go higher than the stuff for Christine (the highest i've ever hit was the G above high C and i'm currently 13). So i'm not trying to pretend to be an expert or anything but maybe for some people it might be okay to try so long as if you can't hit it well you just accept that and move on. I'm now trying to focus on actually being able to hit F and G well (after the E it's a bit of a squeak) and it's going great. I mean at the beginning of the year i didn't even know if i would be able to hit the from phantom. aaand i just realized that i'm going on and on about myself... sorry.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:17 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I have a question though- what if one can hit them naturally? I know two girls who are rising freshman/rising sophomore in high school who can with ease, so they claim.

Don't believe everything freshmen tell you.

The kind of singing required for the part of Christine is very advanced. Try it without proper education at your own peril.

You know how Carlotta croaks during Il Muto? That's what you'll sound like if you overextend your vocal cords. These little sore throats can turn into big problems down the road if you want a singing career.

operadiva7-Where'd your mama get her training? She should know better than to encourage her kid to squeak out the highest note she can.

I'm not a trained singer and even I know better than to try Christine's 'vocal lesson' at the end of POTO. I'll loudly sing the rest of the song (alone. in my car. away from people so they don't have to be subjected to it.), but I stop short of 'sing for me....aaaaaaack!'.

-Cameron Mackintosh

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next