The Resource For Musicals

A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Miles Gloriosus 
Post Miles Gloriosus
We found out that my son's high school is doing A funny thing happended on the way to the forum. We were trying to research the play and see what parts he should audition for. He has two weeks to get ready. My son is a bass/baritone....While I would love for him to try out for Psuedolus I think he would be a great Miles Gloriosus. He is tall, good looking and a great singing voice that can be big and booming. However, while this seems like a show stealing part....and I have not seen this musical...What percent of the musical is this part off stage? How soon does it enter in the first act? Is there a double part he could play? I was a bit dissapointed this was the musical selection. But I have been watching clips online and listened to the score and I think this could be fun. I just hope it can attract a crowd.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:29 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Actually, it's a great choice. If you like Mel Brooks movies (specifically, The History of the World Part One), you'll like Forum. The movie is pretty well known so I think it'll attract a pretty fair crowd.

Anyways, as I can remember, Miles is not a very big role. But being tall and having a big voice will definitely make him perfect for the part.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I was a Protean in this show about a year ago......Miles is pretty much the last character introduced in the show (near the end of the first act I believe). Every musical, it seems, has an importrant charcater introduced around this time in the plot. However, he is a very funny role, and it sounds like your son is ideal for the role. He does have two songs in the show and many funny lines........tell him to go for it!

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:59 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

One of my friends played Miles this year at the Junior Collage...great role.
Have him watch the film and leave going to the auditions in his hands.

-Sweeney Todd

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:47 pm

Actually, even though Miles as a seperate character doesn't appear until near the end of Act I, everyone is in the opening number, 'Comedy Tonight'. Miles is on too much to double any role; that what the Proteans are for, because they play slaves, citizens, sailors, soldiers, and eunuchs.

If you don't know anything about the show, watch the film. Be warned, however, that it does NOT do justice to the stage show. Too much was cut out (including some very important songs) and too much was added for assorted reasons. However, it does have two OBC players (Zero Mostel and Jack Gilford) and the original London Miles, Leon Greene. Because Phil Silvers wound up playing Lycus, the original London Lycus (Jon Pertwee, of 'Doctor Who' fame) was given a cameo as a ship-owner named Crassus, which was written specifically for him.

This play has been described as a theater history lesson in disguise. As in all Roman plays, the action takes place in front of three houses. The upper class woman (Domina) is seen at the beginning and the end, per Roman tradition, while the lower-class women (the Courtesans) are on-stage practically all the time. Also, the curtain should be dropped, as in Roman plays, since they had no way of raising a curtain the way we do today.

At any rate, your son sounds perfect for Miles, the braggart soldier, which is what his name means. By all means, he should go for it. It's a great show, and it always draws a crowd. I was in it a few years ago, and the house was full every night - except the day we had a snowstorm. The productions I've attended were always sold out, so yes, it's a good choice.

Let us know how auditions go!

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:01 pm
He found out today...He got the part of Miles Gloriosus! Funny thing...
he didn't get a call back and was getting very worried. When they posted the results, they put a fake name for the Miles part, and when you say it fast together it sounded like something else! He thought he didn't get it, until he started asking who is ....., and everyone just started laughing. I think this will be a great show.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:22 pm

Allow me to be the first to congratulate your son!! It's a *great* role. When I played Domina a few years ago, my favorite bit was her conversation with Miles. They were both having a normal conversation, but since Miles was under the impression that he was at Lycus' house, Domina's lines took on a completely different meaning!

Now...keep us posted as to rehearsals, ok?

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:05 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I just wanted to say to the user who said "the curtain should drop, not raise, as they couldnt do that then".

You must remember that the show takes some liberties, plus the song 'Comedy Tonight' has the lyric "raise up the curtain!"

Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Talk about reviving a dead thread!

I just wanted to say to the user who said "the curtain should drop, not raise, as they couldnt do that then".

You must remember that the show takes some liberties, plus the song 'Comedy Tonight' has the lyric "raise up the curtain!"

I've done the show twice, and I do believe it is "Open up the curtain, comedy tonight." That fits better into the meter of the song, as well.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:32 pm

Yes, the show does take some liberties. However, the line *is* 'Open up the curtain...', as Robin Flamingo pointed out. I never saw the original run, but the Broadway revival with Nathan Lane *did* drop the curtain, which was then carried offstage by the Proteans.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I was just in a production of Forum two weeks ago as the Geminae courtesan. Miles Gloriosus is the last character to be introduced, and is introduced at the end of Act I with a powerful and hilarious number called "Bring Me MY BRide". Although he may have less stage time than some other parts, it is a comic role and has lots of stage time in Act II. Its a great role for a base, and seems very fun to play so go for it![/u][/i]

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:10 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Go for it? Check the dates, the original post was nearly 3 years ago.

geminae89 wrote:
I was just in a production of Forum two weeks ago as the Geminae courtesan. Miles Gloriosus is the last character to be introduced, and is introduced at the end of Act I with a powerful and hilarious number called "Bring Me MY BRide". Although he may have less stage time than some other parts, it is a comic role and has lots of stage time in Act II. Its a great role for a base, and seems very fun to play so go for it![/u][/i]

Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]