The Resource For Musicals

Pippin Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
"On The Right Track" questions 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post "On The Right Track" questions
I have a question about one of this song's lyrics. This is the lyric: "If you take it easy trust a while..." I don't really understand what this line means. Maybe it's the phrasing that's tripping me up. My CD booklet for Pippin says "If you take it easy-trust a while", with the hyphen between "easy" and "trust". I'm thinking that it's meant to sound like this: "If you take it easy, trust a while" with a comma seperating the two words. I'm sorry if I'm not being clear, but I'm explaining it the best I can. Anyone know?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Last edited by Apples2for10 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:37 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: "On The Right Track" question
Apples2for10 wrote:
I have a question about one of this song's lyrics. This is the lyric: "If you take it easy trust a while..." I don't really understand what this line means. Maybe it's the phrasing that's tripping me up. My CD booklet for Pippin says "If you take it easy-trust a while", with the hyphen between "easy" and "trust". I'm thinking that it's meant to sound like this: "If you take it easy, trust a while" with a comma seperating the two words. I'm sorry if I'm not being clear, but I'm explaining it the best I can. Anyone know?

Dear Apples2for10,

The hyphen is just taking the place of the comma that should be there. I don't think that the lyrics were ever supposed to imply that there was a hyphenated word called "easy-trust." LOL! That would be hilarious, and it wouldn't make sense within the context of what the LP is trying to say. Of course, I think that you and I (and anyone else with any basic knowledge of the English language) know that anyway. I don't think that anyone's ever heard of the word "easy-trust"; naturally, such a word is going to sound totally weird to the ears.

The Leading Player's motives within the musical can give someone the best clue as to the sort of message the lyrics are conveying to Pippin. The LP is saying, "Take it easy, man. Trust your instincts, and the flow of things, etc. Just chill out, and you'll be doing well." In reality, the LP knows that he is only offering Pippin one more socially seductive life option, and that said option will eventually displease Pippin by failing to live up to his grandios expectations. The LP's ultimate goal is to gaslight Pippin, by offering him so many different unsatisfying options that the poor guy eventually becomes confused and sad enough that he wants to <SPOILER> give up on his life. Fortunately, Pippin proves to be smarter than the LP judged him to be.

I hope that I've been of some help to you, with regards to the lyrics dilemma.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
8)

I want someone who's the deviant version of Fred MacMurray, David Tomlinson & William Schallert....but who has the looks of guys like Dan Haggerty, Kris Kristofferson & Tom Selleck.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Haha, yeah, "easy" and "trust" are two different words, just said close together.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: "On The Right Track" question
The Duchess of Mint wrote:

The hyphen is just taking the place of the comma that should be there. I don't think that the lyrics were ever supposed to imply that there was a hyphenated word called "easy-trust." LOL! That would be hilarious, and it wouldn't make sense within the context of what the LP is trying to say. Of course, I think that you and I (and anyone else with any basic knowledge of the English language) know that anyway. I don't think that anyone's ever heard of the word "easy-trust"; naturally, such a word is going to sound totally weird to the ears.

The Leading Player's motives within the musical can give someone the best clue as to the sort of message the lyrics are conveying to Pippin. The LP is saying, "Take it easy, man. Trust your instincts, and the flow of things, etc. Just chill out, and you'll be doing well." In reality, the LP knows that he is only offering Pippin one more socially seductive life option, and that said option will eventually displease Pippin by failing to live up to his grandios expectations. The LP's ultimate goal is to gaslight Pippin, by offering him so many different unsatisfying options that the poor guy eventually becomes confused and sad enough that he wants to <SPOILER> give up on his life. Fortunately, Pippin proves to be smarter than the LP judged him to be.

I hope that I've been of some help to you, with regards to the lyrics dilemma.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
8)

Yes, Duchess, you've been a great help; thank you! Also, that was a great analysis of the Leading Player; well done!

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Another OTRT question
I just found a "Pippin" sheet music book at a yard sale (got it for two bucks!) and "Track" is not in it! Is there any way of getting it?

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:03 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Bump; it turns out that neither sheet music nor karaoke selections for "Track" are available. I'd appreciate some alternative suggestions soonest, as I plan to audition with this song very shortly.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]