The Resource For Musicals

Little Shop of Horrors Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Bad idea for a high school's first musical? 

How do you feel about a small high school with a mediocre drama department putting on LSOH as their first musical?
Go for it! 81%  81%  [ 30 ]
Mistake. 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 37

Bad idea for a high school's first musical? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Hey, Jack?? You know how you wanted to do Chicago at your school?? I'm thinking Little Shop might turn out the same.... it doesn't seem like there are that many people at your school who would try out. BUT, if you do do it, you'd be an awesome Seymour and I'd come and see it.

Yeah, our drama department is crap and the director is 5x more corupt than the average high school director. We're doing it... for sure. I got Mr. Mushnik. Supposedly I am "capable" of playing Seymour but he "owed" it to someone else who tried out. Which kinda' sickens if you have a dirty mind. :|

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:18 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Do it
I think when our school did it, it was the best we had done and our stage was pretty small due to construction i cant remember the exact dimension but we pulled it off and it is always a fun show to do

Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:03 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

We're doing it... for sure. I got Mr. Mushnik.

When is it?? And who else is in it?? Anybody I know?? And did you know that you can save a lot of money on your car insurance by switching to Geico??

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:40 pm

Quote:
We're doing it... for sure. I got Mr. Mushnik.

When is it?? And who else is in it?? Anybody I know?? And did you know that you can save a lot of money on your car insurance by switching to Geico??

Haha. So I don't hijack my own thread, I'll PM you with the details.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:10 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I go to quite a small school, and we did Little Shop for our musical a few years ago. It worked out really well, and it was loads of fun :) You don't even have to make an expensive Audrey II if the budget is tight. Our Audrey II was played by someone on stage, in black clothes, with a puppet on their hand. As the people were eaten, they became part of the plant too... it's a little hard to explain, but it did work, and there are alternatives to having to have an giant expensive plant made for you :)

Hope it all goes well! x

Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:16 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

What are your stage dimensions? I mean... When I saw LSOH the stage was easily 10' x 15'.

Yeah, the production I was tech for was also 10x15. It worked well, and our puppeteer was amazing.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:14 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Vice wrote:
What are your stage dimensions? I mean... When I saw LSOH the stage was easily 10' x 15'.

Yeah, the production I was tech for was also 10x15. It worked well, and our puppeteer was amazing.

Yeah we did it in a really small blackbox. It worked great.

u/s Jemima CATS forum cast July 08!

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:31 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

My school did LSOH as their first musical a few years ago. Because it has a small-ish cast, I think it's a good idea in case not enough people try out to fill both leads and ensemble roles. In terms of your theater being small, I actually think that LSOH is one of the better shows for a small theater, with the exception of Audrey II. Overall, I certainly don't think it's a bad choice but I totally understand your being doubtful. Hope it turns out great! :D

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:57 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I don't think the budget is much of an issue. Little Shop can be done with really minimal sets. Audrey II is usually just a huge stuffed animal.

However, if you're not sure whether you've got the talent, I don't think it's the best show to do. The show just doesn't work without really strong actors. You need good singers, too.
Whatmore, it's got a pretty small cast and generally small-cast shows aren't really the best for schools because they don't give opportunities for students to be in the ensemble. When my old school did Little Shop, they had to divide the Quartet into a chorus of 8 girls....

I'm really not crazy about Little Shop for high schools in general. Whenever I see other kids do it, often times they don't seem to realize how tongue-in-cheek the whole thing is supposed to be. It's kind of spoiled the show for me.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:10 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Wicked, Addams Family, Cats, Phantom, Les Mis
Main Role: Performer
MY SCHOOL DID A PRODUCTION OF LSOH AND ROCKED. AND GET THIS, IT WAS A MIDDLE SCHOOL. SO COOL

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

our school used lil shop as its first ever drama department event, and it was pretty awesome! not only did it pioneer, and cut a path for a myriad of other plays and musicals, seeing my sister in it when i was 5 inspired me to act! just goes to show you, that no matter the budget, you never can tell how a performance can affect an audience!

Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2