The Resource For Musicals

Pippin Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
20's adaptation 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post 20's adaptation
ll

Last edited by newmoonrising on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:30 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
the era is interesting but dont do "pippin" as cabaret. it will look like you wanted to do cabaret all the time.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I think the second poster may have misunderstood your question. You meant do like it was a cabaret show, right? Not to do it as if it were the Kander and Ebb musical Cabaret.

But I like the idea of doing it like a cabaret, I think it could work. I would just recommend you don't limit yourself too much to that style, except that the story will cause it to expand out of a cabaret, and run with it.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think the second poster may have misunderstood your question. You meant do like it was a cabaret show, right? Not to do it as if it were the Kander and Ebb musical Cabaret.

But I like the idea of doing it like a cabaret, I think it could work. I would just recommend you don't limit yourself too much to that style, except that the story will cause it to expand out of a cabaret, and run with it.

I'm pretty sure the original poster did mean the Kander & Ebb musical.(Why else would they have said "kit kat girls" and "Emcee" themed characters?).

I agree with Salome...If you want to do something Cabaret themed, do Cabaret; Don't just twist a show to be similar to another. That's pointless and stupid.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:44 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Well looking at the original post a second time, I'm seeing that s/he probably did mean like the show (I didn't notice kit-kat girls). However he seemed also to be a little confused, as there was reference to the 1920's, but Cabaret was set in the 30's.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:25 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I think Pippin could be done really cool in a cabaret style. The show lends itself already to being very number to number and joke to joke so the leap wouldn't be too far.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:05 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I think the players, and especially the LP, already treat the show like their own personal little cabaret. They're having a lot of fun behaving like puppetmasters and watching poor Pippin fail at one potential vocation after another. As far as the players are concerned, Pippin exists for two reasons and two reasons only:

1. to provide them with amusement while he tries in vain to make his life "mean something";

2. to nudge him towards the finishing line and tip him over the edge so he will flambe himself in public and create their Grand Finale for them.

Maybe a full-on cabaret version of the show would work if you make it explicitly clear that Pippin is the only poor dumb bunny in the venue who still thinks this is a regular show - "I know this is only a musical comedy, but I still want my life to mean something!" The cabaret format would make him look even more like a clueless puppet, which would make his ultimate rebellion more surprising and satisfying.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]