Glen Close or Patti LuPone? 

Close or LuPone?
Glen Close 52%  52%  [ 29 ]
Patti LuPone 48%  48%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 56

Glen Close or Patti LuPone? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I saw Patti in London in 1993 and Glenn in LA in 1994. Patti was SO much better! I don't know if it was a director's choice or Glenn's, but Glenn's Norma Desmond seemed like such a troll running around on the stage. Not the regal, but washed-up, actress that Norma was supposed to be.

Patti seemed to portray the character so much more!

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:11 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
I saw Patti in London in 1993 and Glenn in LA in 1994. Patti was SO much better! I don't know if it was a director's choice or Glenn's, but Glenn's Norma Desmond seemed like such a troll running around on the stage. Not the regal, but washed-up, actress that Norma was supposed to be.

Patti seemed to portray the character so much more!

I sawt hem both to. Patti was horrid! she played Patti not Norma. Glenn BECAME Norma.

Patti couldnt carry the role at all plus her diction was so god awful poor.

one of the best choices anyone ever made was firing LuPone before she brought that dreadful performance to thcStates.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I sawt hem both to. Patti was horrid! she played Patti not Norma. Glenn BECAME Norma.

Patti couldnt carry the role at all plus her diction was so god awful poor.

one of the best choices anyone ever made was firing LuPone before she brought that dreadful performance to thcStates.

Guess we'll have to disagree on this one...both my husband and I liked Patti so much more.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:27 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Who's Glen Close?

I'm assuming you're pointing out the misspelling of Glenn, but incase you are thick she played Cruella DeVille in 100 Dalmations

Sometimes I look in my mirror and wonder: "Where did I go?"
~Von Krolock - Tanz Der Vampire

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:15 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't like the musical at all, it bores me numb after a few songs, but I nevertheless prefer Glenn Close. It isn't so much the two actresses personally, as it is the entire recording working against LuPone. I also think the text is so wooden that it takes much acting to overcome it. I'm sure LuPone sings adequately, but she isn't able to make the text believable. In that matter, Close struggles too, but at least she makes it come through slightly less inane.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:15 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Put me down for a spot on the 'being partial to Diahann Carroll and Betty Buckley' wagon.

Diahann Carroll because I actually saw her as Norma Desmond, and Betty Buckley...well, just because she's Betty Buckley, and the footage I have seen of her as Norma was pretty damn fierce.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:05 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I know she's not the better actress, but she sings better then Glenn.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:00 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Because great acting can cover not-so-great singing. But great singing doesn't rescue if acting is bad.

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:21 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I had the opportunity to see SB with the original cast in London and then again with Glenn Close when it first came out in LA...

Patti gave a great rendition of Norma Desmond....although washed up, it didn't phase her delusional pride...

On the other hand, Glenn Close ran around the stage hunched over 1/2 the time, giving her Norma this "troll-like" quality. My husband, who loved GC in "Barnum," didn't like her rendition of Norma at all. I don't know if this was a director's choice or Glenn's, but it was a bad choice nonetheless.

For me Patti commanded the stage and exemplified ND to the fullest!

Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:56 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I never saw Sunset Blvd., but I saw each of their renditionsof one of the songs from the show, I would have to watch the two again to place in an opinion but I just thought that this points how interesting theatre iswhen it comes to the really talented people, there really isn't one right or wrong way of doing things, and the best performance sometimes has to do with what a person prefers, however, I think the only true way of knowing who did their job is the actor, who knows internally if they are giving their all and focusing hard on their role.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:04 pm

Main Role: Performer
I had the opportunity to see SB with the original cast in London and then again with Glenn Close when it first came out in LA...

Patti gave a great rendition of Norma Desmond....although washed up, it didn't phase her delusional pride...

On the other hand, Glenn Close ran around the stage hunched over 1/2 the time, giving her Norma this "troll-like" quality. My husband, who loved GC in "Barnum," didn't like her rendition of Norma at all. I don't know if this was a director's choice or Glenn's, but it was a bad choice nonetheless.

Glenn emobided norma.... patti sucked.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

DefyGravityFan wrote:

Glenn emobided norma.... patti sucked.

Militant much?

Glenn embodied SWANSON. Adequate imitation does not equate a successful performance for me. Close is a complete cartoon character in the role, in my opinion.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next