The Resource For Musicals

Spamalot Forum

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Questions about seating? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

All I can remember was the clue on stage which was "BIOI". After that I don't remember much (was *a bit* distracted after realising it is my seat!) but the next thing I remember was the knights kneeled on stage asking God "to give a hand" to solve the clue. Then a hand was lowered from the auditorium's ceiling and it pointed to the seat A101 and the King Arthur said "Ah, it is a seat in the house, B101 - so that's... YOU!" and the spotlight was turned on me.

Then "Patsy" came over to me and asked me to step on the aisle for a moment as he searched 'under my seat'. And - surprise - there was the Holy Grail! Arthur then asked Patsy to bring me up on the stage as they felt they should thank me for guarding the Grail for them... and suddenly there I was... on the stage of Shubert Theatre on Broadway, in front of 1500 people... King Arthur (who was played by Tim Curry's brilliant understudy John Bolton) started off by asking me "You're not the president of the Tim Curry Fan Club, are you?!" and then asked for my name. Then he told everyone that I had been nominated for an Arthur Award for The Best Peasant and Patsy brought the envelope and Arthur asked him to open it. Just before Patsy announced the winner Arthur/Bolton whispered to me "I hope you win!!!" :D And of course I did. I got a small statue (a 'golden' foot) and they guided me center stage and sung me a song - of which I don't remember a word!!! I just rememeber that Christopher Sieber was standing behind me and singing really loudly!! Then the song paused and the knight next to me - Sir Robin, played by David Hyde Pierce, Nigel from tv's FRASIER - told me to look to my right and there was one of the knights with a polaroid camera and he took a picture of me and the knights on stage. Then they finished the song and it was time for me to return to my seat. Just before I left the stage they handed me the polaroid photo they had taken!

And during the bows and the sing-along "Always Look..." reprise, Arthur/Bolton spotted me from my seat and gave me a thumb-up and a grin! :) =D>

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:53 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Oh wow you are so lucky, I wish I was in "The Seat" Mine was D1 and I was C1 So close but yet so far.

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:15 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

John Bolton is a really familiar name. o.o

When I went to watch it, the seat was D101. I was on the balcony, so I could barely see what was happening. That's what I get for buying TKTS tickets!!

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:18 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

How do they keep the person sitting in "The Seat" from realizing it before they're supposed to find out? I mean, wouldn't they notice if the Grail had been stashed under their seat? My conclusion was that the Grail prop isn't REALLY under the seat the whole time; they just do some sleight of hand to make it LOOK like it's been under the seat the whole time (that way, the person sitting in that seat doesn't have to know ahead of time). Is this right? I always wondered how this one was pulled off. I assume the person sitting in that seat really is an audience member, rather than an undercover actor.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:51 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I might go and see it in January... Hope to be in The Seat then! :D

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:56 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Patsy uses sleight of hand.

And the song is as follows:

The Grail has been found,
Our man/girl shall be renowned!
Thanks to (insert name here),
The Grail has been found!

This goes roughly to the tune of Happy Birthday, but not quite.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:30 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

How do they keep the person sitting in "The Seat" from realizing it before they're supposed to find out? I mean, wouldn't they notice if the Grail had been stashed under their seat? My conclusion was that the Grail prop isn't REALLY under the seat the whole time; they just do some sleight of hand to make it LOOK like it's been under the seat the whole time (that way, the person sitting in that seat doesn't have to know ahead of time). Is this right? I always wondered how this one was pulled off. I assume the person sitting in that seat really is an audience member, rather than an undercover actor.

It's NOT there the whole show. Patsy has it under his costume/in his props and takes it out as he 'finds' it under the seat.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:38 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post sitting in "the" seat at Spamalot
I was just seated in "the" Spamalot seat, D101, at the Ahmanson. For all of those people saying they couldn't afford the seat, you're mistaken! In the Ahmanson, the seat has a limited view because it is so far to the side and front. So I actually got the seat for $20 by calling the HotTix program. I had not heard about this part of the show, so I had no idea what to expect, and was extremely surprised. I wasn't even wearing shoes when Patsy came to get me. From stage, you can't see the audience at all because the lights are so bright, and at one point, because it felt so surreal, I actually thought to myself, "Oh my gosh. I must have fallen asleep during the show." But luckily Robin and Patsy kept giving me very reassuring smiles.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:54 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Do you remember the jokes made for B101? I'm kind of curious.

From what I remember, Sir Bedevere made a joke along the lines of, "Maybe it's in Hebrew. Like BIOIIIII!"

Currently: Nothing!
Recently Finished: Alexander in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Jinx (u/s) in Forever Plaid

Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:10 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Do you remember the jokes made for B101? I'm kind of curious.

For D101 the jokes I remember were, "Maybe a Jewish person died and said 'Die, oy.'"
And Lancelot said something like, "Maybe it is the sound people make when they're stupid and forget something obvious, doy!" and somebody corrects him and says, "That's duh." and He says, "Oh yea! DOY!"

Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2