No 39%  39%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 28

Mamma Mia the film!? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Books
TheNextTenMinutes wrote:
(The book of Mamma Mia! is) just a way of stringing together the ABBA songs. We Will Rock You at least had a good book with a cute storyline. I have seen both shows and We Will Rock You is vastly superior in character development, book, and actually working the songs in.

Having also seen both shows, I have to respectfully disagree. We Will Rock You is a mess: it's a series of one-liners, some of which are quite funny, with hardly any character development. The only truly moving moment is the segue into "Only the Good Die Young". The rest is basically just nonsensical. The second act, in particular, is a mess and the last half-hour of the show disintegrates into nothing. Plus there is a central contradiction to the setup of the show in that, for someone who hates rock music, the Killer Queen sings quite a bit of it!

Mamma Mia, on the other hand, truly does establish and develop a set of characters - probably more successfully than any of the other jukebox musicals - and sets up the songs quite well - better so than most of those integrated into We Will Rock You, in my opinion.

Later days
David

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:00 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Meryl Streep is going to be in it. I don't know who she will play, but i read that she was in it on Broadway.com

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Books
RainbowJude wrote:

Mamma Mia, on the other hand, truly does establish and develop a set of characters - probably more successfully than any of the other jukebox musicals - and sets up the songs quite well

Seconded. Mamma Mia! has a solid, if corny, plot. And the songs make sense with the situations as opposed to other jukebox musicals.

I`ve been waitin` for the light to shine...

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:49 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I'm all for making films of great shows. I mean, not everyone can make it to Broadway to see some of the greats.

BUT does anyone else feel like they're just grabbing at straws here. If the market is flooded with musicals, people are going to get sick of it and stop going to see them. Then we'll be stuck in another one of those 10 year droughts where we don't even get one musical film.

amen!

i live in middle-of-no-where texas.... im lucky to get anything close to here... and i dont have much money to travel (and all of that goes towards auditions) so turning musicals into movies is great for me... but i do agree its not the same, but i think mamma mia will be one of the easiest to make into a movie, its wicked that im worried about, can you imagine defying gravity in a movie, it would be horrible!

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:19 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

the guy who played Dakin in The History Boys is going to play Sky in the movie

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:49 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Movie Musicals
nicky wrote:
If the market is flooded with musicals, people are going to get sick of it and stop going to see them. Then we'll be stuck in another one of those 10 year droughts where we don't even get one musical film.

You mean the way the market is flooded with teen movies and teen-themed fantasy at the moment and no-one goes to watch them?

The decline in popularity of musical films from the late 1960s onwards had as much to do with political climate as it did with the quality of the films that were being produced. Now, in an age where anything goes when it comes to making art, musicals, even with their supposedly limited audience appeal on film, are carving out a niche. Yes, they still need to be made well and/or please audiences but, by and large, I don't think the trend will come to an yet just yet. If Phantom and The Producers didn't kill it, I don't think Mamma Mia will.

Later days
David

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Meryl Streep is going to be in it. I don't know who she will play, but i read that she was in it on Broadway.com

ya, she will be playing Donna #-o

I MADE IT MYSELF!!!!
I loves Invader Zim, I loves it Good. :lol:

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:44 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

In theaters July 18, 2008. I am already looking forward to it.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:42 pm
Profile WWW

I still cannot belive (refuse to believe?) that this is actually going to happen.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3