The Resource For Musicals

My Fair Lady Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Disasters, Mistakes, Pranks, etc.? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Disasters, Mistakes, Pranks, etc.?
Dear My Fair Lady Fans,

If you have any disaster/ mistake/ prank stories which relate to your production of My Fair Lady, feel free to share those stories here.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
8)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:14 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I have already posted several stories about the OBC production, involving Rex Harrison and a jinx that seemed to affect him when doing "I've Grown Accustomed To Her face": the bomb threat phoned into the theater, and the backdrop that fell.

Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:24 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Before the scene where Eliza comes down in her dress, the props crew broke the brandy glass backstage. So after Pickering and Eliza leave, Higgins (a friend of mine) looks awkwardly at the container of brandy with no glasses beside he. He just looks up at me (Mrs. Pearce, standing on the landing), and I give a sort of half-nod, half-shrug, and he takes the lid off and drinks it straight out of the bottle. The audience just about died laughing. Another time, Higgins couldn't break the chocolate in half, so he says to me, "Mrs. Pearce, buy better chocolates!" I could barely keep a straight face. I think there was other stuff, but I don't remember at the moment.

The Past:Interviewer #1, The Interview; Wanda, Unbeatable Harold; Mrs. Pearce, MFL; Fruma Sarah, Fiddler on the Roof
The Present: UVic Theatre Major
The Future: Crack-ho?

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:56 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Oh Man, Higgins saying, "Mrs. Pearce! Buy better chocolates!!!". That's genius and hysterical!!!

It was my first Musical and during rehearsals some of the lady cast were trying to pull off my pants so I just pulled them off and threw them at them because I heard my name being yelled for. It was the scene before Eliza goes to the ball and Higgins is all nervous. The curtain opened and I was standing behind the couch so nobody could see i had no pants on and then Higgins came out with no pants on and i walked out from the couch with no pants on. It was perfect because it just fit into Higgins and Pickering feeling nervous so we kept it in the play. Except we saw a family walk out of the performance when i did that.

I also walked out one time during that scene with a sign on the back of my boxers saying, "Not an Exit"

During the scene where Pickering is phoning the police to retrieve missing Eliza and Higgins sings, "Why can't a woman, be more like a man?", Higgins would hold my hand when he says, "Why can't a women Be more like you?" We portrayed Higgins as secretly being gay and Pickering secretly a cross dresser. For example when Higgins ask how i know where to buy a woman's dress, i tell him and he asks me how i know and i tell him in a voice where I'm trying to hide that I'm a cross dressing colonel. lol

We had a lot of things that we planned on doing, like when Higgins is teaching Eliza how to speak, He would say " I can't take this anymore!!!" and tries to jump out the window until i say "NoOOoooooo Higgins, think about the strawberry tarts!!!"

During rehearsals just for fun, when Doolittle was singing his song, "I'm getting married in the Morning" When he would say, "girls come to kiss me" Two guys from both sides of the stage would run up to him and kiss him on the cheeks. It was funny. Ascot choreography was hilarious too, some of the guys and gals would bend over and the guys would hold their waist from behind.

Lots of these things are nonos for a high school audience but we did them anyways. I've seen Doolittle slap Mrs. Pearce in the behind when he leaves after getting money from Higgins.

Travis

p.s., when the sound cues and music wouldn't play for "Wouldn't it be loverly" We did a jig and talked about ourselves being prostitutes. My wife character overheard me asking a prostitute for her services and slapped me with her purse, Lol, It was absolutely hysterical.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:52 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Our Karpathy Fluffed his line at the ball the frist night and just turned and said "oh F**k"

And during the ball when Eliza is declared a fraud I (the Queen) had to faint and get caught by the guy I had been dancing with. One night he was having a chat, wasn't behind me, and only just caught me as I fell backwards.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:57 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re:
Dear Colonel_Pickering,

This is hilarious! :lol: I only wish that I'd been there!

Thanks in advance for your reply.
8-)

Colonel_Pickering wrote:
Oh Man, Higgins saying, "Mrs. Pearce! Buy better chocolates!!!". That's genius and hysterical!!!

It was my first Musical and during rehearsals some of the lady cast were trying to pull off my pants so I just pulled them off and threw them at them because I heard my name being yelled for. It was the scene before Eliza goes to the ball and Higgins is all nervous. The curtain opened and I was standing behind the couch so nobody could see i had no pants on and then Higgins came out with no pants on and i walked out from the couch with no pants on. It was perfect because it just fit into Higgins and Pickering feeling nervous so we kept it in the play. Except we saw a family walk out of the performance when i did that.

I also walked out one time during that scene with a sign on the back of my boxers saying, "Not an Exit"

During the scene where Pickering is phoning the police to retrieve missing Eliza and Higgins sings, "Why can't a woman, be more like a man?", Higgins would hold my hand when he says, "Why can't a women Be more like you?" We portrayed Higgins as secretly being gay and Pickering secretly a cross dresser. For example when Higgins ask how i know where to buy a woman's dress, i tell him and he asks me how i know and i tell him in a voice where I'm trying to hide that I'm a cross dressing colonel. lol

We had a lot of things that we planned on doing, like when Higgins is teaching Eliza how to speak, He would say " I can't take this anymore!!!" and tries to jump out the window until i say "NoOOoooooo Higgins, think about the strawberry tarts!!!"

During rehearsals just for fun, when Doolittle was singing his song, "I'm getting married in the Morning" When he would say, "girls come to kiss me" Two guys from both sides of the stage would run up to him and kiss him on the cheeks. It was funny. Ascot choreography was hilarious too, some of the guys and gals would bend over and the guys would hold their waist from behind.

Lots of these things are nonos for a high school audience but we did them anyways. I've seen Doolittle slap Mrs. Pearce in the behind when he leaves after getting money from Higgins.

Travis

p.s., when the sound cues and music wouldn't play for "Wouldn't it be loverly" We did a jig and talked about ourselves being prostitutes. My wife character overheard me asking a prostitute for her services and slapped me with her purse, Lol, It was absolutely hysterical.

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]