The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Okahoma!: The 1999 version with Hugh Jackman 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Okahoma!: The 1999 version with Hugh Jackman
I just finished watching this version, and I LOVE it! It seems so real and natural compared to the 1955 version. The way the songs flow so smoothly from the script, and the excellent performers of the actors and actressess... just... wow.
Although I'm not crazy about everything Josephine Gabriella did with Laurey, I do think she makes a wonderful Laurey and a welcome change from Shirley Jones. Shirley is lovely, but she doesn't bring that much depth to the role, in my opinion. Josephine really makes Laurey seem more like a real person.
I LOVE the performances of Hugh Jackman and Shuler Hensley as Curly and Jud. Excellent! I found Shuler's Jud really brought out the sympathetic aspects of his character. I felt so sorry for Jud, even though Laurey would be an idiot to choose him over Curly!
Ado Annie and Will and also both played very well, and I love the way evey song was included in the production. Especially the wonderful "Lonely Room". Love that song!
Anyway, does anyone else feel the same way about this production? I just think it is so much better than the 1955 film.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:14 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I watched it a couple of years ago when it was on PBS. In fact I was watching it in the middle of the night. So, maybe my memory might be a little foggy (it was one of my sleepless nights that I so often have).

I liked it. I liked it a lot. Then I saw the touring show of the same production. So, I kind of knew what to expect from that. I LOVED that show.

I probably have a sentimental thing going on with the 1955 film because this is one of the movies that I grew up watching all the time. I really like Hugh Jackman. I really liked him as Curly. Honestly? I have to choose Gordon MacRae. I have always loved his voice. I always thought he made such a cute Curly. For me, he seemed to fit the role quite well.

As for others in the Hugh Jackman cast, they were pretty good, I thought (except for Ado Annie - I can't think of her name right now). She annoyed me. When it comes to Will, I have to choose, yet again, the 1955 one. I have also always enjoyed Gene Nelson so much.

Talent for talent, I think the film wins hands down. For just a really good production of the show, I choose the Hugh Jackman production (or the one I saw).

Besides, I liked how Curly and Laurey danced for themselvs for the first time during the dream sequence in this version.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:16 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Fan
I agree. This movie is wonderful, and I liked Hugh Jackman performance the best.
Even thow everyone were great. I sow this movie five times in a week.
I really liked it! :D :D

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:50 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Josephina Gabrielle is perfectiuon as laurey. no one else has ever come close...except me ;)

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Actress!
Dear Salome,

You must be a versatile actress, because you don't look like the stereotypically innocent, naiive Laurey to me.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
8)

Salome wrote:
Josephina Gabrielle is perfectiuon as laurey. no one else has ever come close...except me ;)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:59 pm

laurey isnt niave and stereotypical. thats why.Laurey and Curley are the frontier version of Shakespeare's Benedick and Beatrice.

did you see Josephina?

Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:58 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
I agree with Salome, Josefina is the embodiment of Laurey. She IS Laurey to me and always will be, no one else has come close. And Hugh Jackman...yeah. He was amazing. Perfect for Curly in my opinion.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:26 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

as many times as I've read the script, I have a hard time imagining any depth to the Laurie character, but congrats if you found some!

As far as the Hugh Jackman version, I loved it much more than the original, not to mention it was filmed much better.

Acted: Blazing guns at Roaring Gulch (Dora)

Directed: The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man in the Moon Marigolds

Trying out for: Lolita

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
I just finished , IMO Jackman was the typical charming Curly, but with flashes of anger that fortold of a violence that could match Jud's, and how Jud had a tenderness that could match Curly's (when he gives her his hand after she wakes from the ballet dream sequence)...that being said, Shuler Hensley's Jud was one of the pinnacles of the cast (Jackman, Gabrielle, and Lipman being the other pinnacles), he was a very sympathetic Jud...he wasn't evil, just lonely, and agry, with knowledge of how to handle his feelings.

Oh, and I loved Gabrielle's and Jackman's Beatrice/Benedick chemistry as Salome mentioned.

Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:48 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Well, he was messed up, but he made it so that the audience could see why he was that way...I thought he did the best job in the cast. Hugh Jackman and Josefina Gabrielle were amazing as well.

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:37 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I agree - this is the best version of Oklahoma I've ever seen!

Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:07 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde

Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next