The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Stage version based on the movie 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Stage version based on the movie
Has anyone ever seen a stage production that was enturely based on the movie? Same songs, same dialogue, etc.

If not, what do you all think of this idea? My friend and I were discussing it that's why I'm asking.

Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:39 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

In principal, I'm against messing with the script that you're given. I also love the songs in SOM that aren't in the movie, and I think Lonely Goatherd works better in the bedroom than Favorite Things.

But all that said, I think a musical production of SOM based on the movie would be very successful. The movie is more well known than the stage play, and audiences like what they know. The cut songs aren't key to the story and could shorten up the show quite a bit, which it needs in this day of short attention span audiences. So, although I don't think it's the right thing to do, it certainly could be a successful thing to do.

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:29 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

We were thinking if such version was made, would it be called a revival or a re-imagining? And who would you go to for the rights, Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization or 20th Century Fox?

Of course some things cannot be possible (like the rowboat scene), but with the same dialogue as the movie, and probably the same order of songs (almost. It kinda makes sense for Do-Re-Mi to occur the moment Maria arrives. It works better on stage than film), and maybe ending Act I with Maria leaving (just like the film), rather than end it with "Climb Every Mountain" like the original stage show. Also probably incorporating the song "How Can Love Survive?" but not "No Way To Stop It" because the movie has Georg and Elsa breaking up because of his love for Maria, just like the true story.

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It would be a revival and you'd have to go to R&H for rights. And I am doubtful you'd be successful in getting permission for such major changes. I think if you did it, you need to stick with your premise of copying the film and should not put in How Can Love Survive. JMHO.

Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:41 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I think this might probably be like a very good idea. I know there were some weaknesses in the original stage show, but at least the film corrected some of the more gnawing ones.
It is possible, and perhaps one can consider that the 1998 revival staging was a satisfying blend of the best of the stage play and the best of the film.
For me, I think that many of the changes made to the film make the most sense. I like it how they use My Favourite Things in the bedroom. And I also like it how Captain von Trapp and Elsa break up more subtly than they did in the stage play.
P.S. Please can someone tell me why Lonely Goatherd works better in the bedroom as compared to My Favourite Things? I've felt it sounds a little out of place.
By the way, I really like it if it were used in the Salzburg Festival scene, as defiance against the totalitarian officers stationed around the auditorium. I think that song serves the same purpose as Farmer and the Cowman, to reaffirm what's good about the main characters in the show.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:18 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

P.S. Please can someone tell me why Lonely Goatherd works better in the bedroom as compared to My Favourite Things? I've felt it sounds a little out of place.

It's a cheerful, upbeat song, and the loud yodelling is meant to cover the sounds of the storm for the children.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:18 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Thank you for sharing the insights. However, will it be all right that I mentioned something about My Favourite Things?
I like it better in the thunderstorm scene, because it shows that Maria and the children can turn a bad situation into something good. If you consider that the list of songs begins with raindropos on roses, and that ties in with the thunder, lightning and rain that goes on outside the house, this song is like Maria teaching the children how to turn something negative into something positive (making the best of a bad situation). I think it's a very powerful, if intangible, thing to see during the thunderstorm scene, as compared to the loudness of "Goatherd". And I think it also works better because when the children reprise "Favourite Things" at the beginning of Act Two, they know it as a song that Maria sings to comfort herself when she is down. So, I feel like this song can reinforce this if it's sung in the bedroom scene.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:57 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I really wouldn't enjoy a production like that. When I see a live show, I expect to see a different(ish) version of the one that everyone has seen on the big screen. I would be greatly disappointed to know that I paid $100 for a ticket to a show that I could watch in my living room for free. Ya know what I'm saying?

BTW, I think that TLG works better on the bed (oh my), but MFT is TOTALLY out of place in the stage show... a pointless filler, really.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:36 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Thank you for sharing the insights. However, will it be all right that I mentioned something about My Favourite Things?
I like it better in the thunderstorm scene, because it shows that Maria and the children can turn a bad situation into something good. If you consider that the list of songs begins with raindropos on roses, and that ties in with the thunder, lightning and rain that goes on outside the house, this song is like Maria teaching the children how to turn something negative into something positive (making the best of a bad situation). I think it's a very powerful, if intangible, thing to see during the thunderstorm scene, as compared to the loudness of "Goatherd". And I think it also works better because when the children reprise "Favourite Things" at the beginning of Act Two, they know it as a song that Maria sings to comfort herself when she is down. So, I feel like this song can reinforce this if it's sung in the bedroom scene.

I actually agree with you on all of that. For me it is actually an argument of negatives, because I think Lonely Goatherd doesn't work anywhere in the show except the bedroom, where as Favorite Things is a little more extendible to other scenes. But if you're keeping it in this hypothetical production, then I'd keep it in the bedroom scene. If not, then I'd cut it all together.

I also agree with musikal_geek to an extent. I go to shows to see shows, not to see movies. But live performance always has a little something extra for me, even if it's a movie rehash. I just think it would be more successful commercially. Every show that I've done that has a movie counterpart, audience members always remember the movie and ask about _____ (insert scene here) that is in the movie and not in the show. Most notably Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain and SOM. But commercial and artistic success are not necessarily the same thing. 8)

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:45 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I like both Favorite Things and Lonely Goatherd in the bedroom. I think they both have good parts to them that make them excellent songs for the bedroom.
For example, in My Favorite Things she is talking about things that go on outside.. she says raindrops on roses are a comforting thing, even one of her favorite things! She likes snowflakes, silver white winters..

Lonely Goatherd however is a light cheerful song that is a funny little story rhyme and the loud yodeling covers the thunder quite nicely. It's a song which will make the children laugh.

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:29 am

Main Role: Performer
problem is the film cut the only two good songs in the show.

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:45 am
Profile WWW

problem is the film cut the only two good songs in the show.

AGREED.
(Well, not the part about them being the only good songs...)
But No Way to Stop It and How Can Love Survive? are fantastic songs. It totally sucks that they were cut from the movie!

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next