The Resource For Musicals



Tarzan Forum


Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Tarzan to close in July... 
Author Message
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:54 pm
Posts: 3292
Post 
What kind of decision is that? That's so retarded!

I wonder how THAT conversation went...

Okay, for the flying scenes and any scenes that the characters aren't on the ground, we should try out best to make it look like there are no ropes - make it look as real as possible.
But why would we do that if we could save money by making it look fake and amateur?
Good idea! We're Disney for goodness sakes, and we don't have any money to spend!
So, the fake look it is!

Hm.






And yes, I do realize that I'm over-exaggerating. 8)


Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:55 am
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 1420
Post Re: Artiface
RainbowJude wrote:
The whole point of the design was to see all the strings, as it were. It's supposed to be obvious and, therefore, "fake". It's not a great creative decision - and of course, Tarzan seems to be plagued by several bad creative decisions - but it isn't just because they couldn't make the wires thinner or because they couldn't make them look like vines.

Later days
David



I don't see how it makes sense to WANT to have the strings showing. Why would you want something like that to be obvious in a show like that? That would be like the cherry picker thing in "Defying Gravity" in Wicked just being completely revealed. It just takes away the magic.

_________________
Image
Banner made by the wonderful SuperKabob!


Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:57 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:54 pm
Posts: 3292
Post 
^Or the transformation in Beauty and the Beast.

Like, having the Beast walk off and the Prince walk on... it would make absolutely no sense! The whole climax of the show is when he transforms, so it would be stupid to make it look fake. The whole point of Tarzan is that they are apes who swing around in the jungle... so why not make it look like that? They clearly have the money.


Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:08 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:09 am
Posts: 2924
Post 
musikal_geek wrote:
^Or the transformation in Beauty and the Beast.

Like, having the Beast walk off and the Prince walk on... it would make absolutely no sense! The whole climax of the show is when he transforms, so it would be stupid to make it look fake. The whole point of Tarzan is that they are apes who swing around in the jungle... so why not make it look like that? They clearly have the money.


Don't be stupid, Disney have no money at all. :wink:

Also I know this is off topic, but I think the cherry picker in Defying Gravity is good as it's different to the usual Peter Pan flying.

_________________
Image


Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:27 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 8:33 am
Posts: 3056
Location: Musical Cyberspace
Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Re: Artiface
RainbowJude wrote:
The whole point of the design was to see all the strings, as it were. It's supposed to be obvious and, therefore, "fake". It's not a great creative decision - and of course, Tarzan seems to be plagued by several bad creative decisions - but it isn't just because they couldn't make the wires thinner or because they couldn't make them look like vines.

pish123c wrote:
I don't see how it makes sense to WANT to have the strings showing. Why would you want something like that to be obvious in a show like that? It just takes away the magic.

musikal_geek wrote:
The whole point of Tarzan is that they are apes who swing around in the jungle... so why not make it look like that? They clearly have the money.

Which clearly underlines the fact that it was a creative choice. Come on, it obviously wasn't a financial one! A "nuts and bolts" approach to the design of a show is often a valid creative choice and can work if it is cleverly conceived, and it would seem that Disney, having previously appropriated theatrical elements that are non-traditional to the musical form in The Lion King (courtesy of the amazing Julie Taymor), thought that this kind of approach might work in Tarzan too, this time drawing upon elements of performance art and circus as seen in the work of Pichón Baldinu. This is also director Bob Crowley's first such assignment on a Broadway musical, even though he has an immense amount of experience as a designer. In the hands of a stronger director and/or dramaturg, maybe Tarzan could have been more satisfying - both visually and dramatically - but I don't think the pieces ever come together quite in the way they should.

Later days
David

_________________
Image
VISIT MUSICAL CYBERSPACE: A TRIBUTE TO THE MUSICALS OF BROADWAY AND BEYOND.


Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:29 pm
Posts: 42
Location: On Broadway
Post 
ummm.. about the whole string thing thats obviously the way the wanted it to go i mean everyone knows its people but really thats not a big deal. the fact the tarzan closed didnt have to do with it not selling it had other reasons so everyone knows.


Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:32 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:54 pm
Posts: 3292
Post 
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
the fact the tarzan closed didnt have to do with it not selling it had other reasons so everyone knows.


Yeah, actually, that was the reason. Check old "Broadway Grosses" on broadway.com... the facts are there. People stopped buying tickets because it really wasn't all that good of a show.


Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:13 pm
Profile
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:29 pm
Posts: 42
Location: On Broadway
Post 
musikal_geek wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
the fact the tarzan closed didnt have to do with it not selling it had other reasons so everyone knows.


Yeah, actually, that was the reason. Check old "Broadway Grosses" on broadway.com... the facts are there. People stopped buying tickets because it really wasn't all that good of a show.

ok u know what no its not i know people who are in and ok?? i can get them to come u wanna know why. it was because 1. mary poppins or little mermaid spent too much money and they over budgeted so other shows suffer 2. since they are anederlander theatre something to do with that 3. no1 really knows for sure disney didnt let out ne info

_________________
I LOVE TARZAN
I AM IN HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL!! BEAT THAT! :P
I GOT HUGGED BY JOSH STRICKLAND \:D/
I MET ANTHONY RAPP!
=D>


Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:11 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 1420
Post 
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
musikal_geek wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
the fact the tarzan closed didnt have to do with it not selling it had other reasons so everyone knows.


Yeah, actually, that was the reason. Check old "Broadway Grosses" on broadway.com... the facts are there. People stopped buying tickets because it really wasn't all that good of a show.

ok u know what no its not i know people who are in and ok?? i can get them to come u wanna know why. it was because 1. mary poppins or little mermaid spent too much money and they over budgeted so other shows suffer 2. since they are anederlander theatre something to do with that 3. no1 really knows for sure disney didnt let out ne info


Uh, he gave you hard facts. Tickets were not selling. If you do a simple search and go on a website, it is right there for you.


And you might want to stop while you're ahead. N00bs like you get a pretty bad reputation around here. It's in your best interest to just stop and think about what Luc was saying.

_________________
Image
Banner made by the wonderful SuperKabob!


Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:13 pm
Profile
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:29 pm
Posts: 42
Location: On Broadway
Post 
pish123c wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
musikal_geek wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
the fact the tarzan closed didnt have to do with it not selling it had other reasons so everyone knows.


Yeah, actually, that was the reason. Check old "Broadway Grosses" on broadway.com... the facts are there. People stopped buying tickets because it really wasn't all that good of a show.

ok u know what no its not i know people who are in and ok?? i can get them to come u wanna know why. it was because 1. mary poppins or little mermaid spent too much money and they over budgeted so other shows suffer 2. since they are anederlander theatre something to do with that 3. no1 really knows for sure disney didnt let out ne info


Uh, he gave you hard facts. Tickets were not selling. If you do a simple search and go on a website, it is right there for you.
ok w.e its not selling but also there is no direct answer why the show closed and yes i have talked to josh (tarzan) i know what im saying

And you might want to stop while you're ahead. N00bs like you get a pretty bad reputation around here. It's in your best interest to just stop and think about what Luc was saying.


ok i know what im saying if u ask ne1 nobody knows 4 sure and yes i have talked to josh (tarzan)

_________________
I LOVE TARZAN
I AM IN HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL!! BEAT THAT! :P
I GOT HUGGED BY JOSH STRICKLAND \:D/
I MET ANTHONY RAPP!
=D>


Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:20 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 1420
Post 
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
pish123c wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
musikal_geek wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
the fact the tarzan closed didnt have to do with it not selling it had other reasons so everyone knows.


Yeah, actually, that was the reason. Check old "Broadway Grosses" on broadway.com... the facts are there. People stopped buying tickets because it really wasn't all that good of a show.

ok u know what no its not i know people who are in and ok?? i can get them to come u wanna know why. it was because 1. mary poppins or little mermaid spent too much money and they over budgeted so other shows suffer 2. since they are anederlander theatre something to do with that 3. no1 really knows for sure disney didnt let out ne info


Uh, he gave you hard facts. Tickets were not selling. If you do a simple search and go on a website, it is right there for you.
ok w.e its not selling but also there is no direct answer why the show closed and yes i have talked to josh (tarzan) i know what im saying

And you might want to stop while you're ahead. N00bs like you get a pretty bad reputation around here. It's in your best interest to just stop and think about what Luc was saying.


ok i know what im saying if u ask ne1 nobody knows 4 sure and yes i have talked to josh (tarzan)


Really, is it so hard to type out "you" and "anyone" and "for"? God forbid you have to type out a few extra letters... :roll:

And while you say you know Josh, whether that may or may not be true, the cold hard facts are out there that ticket sales just were not healthy.

_________________
Image
Banner made by the wonderful SuperKabob!


Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:26 pm
Profile
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:29 pm
Posts: 42
Location: On Broadway
Post 
pish123c wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
pish123c wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
musikal_geek wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
the fact the tarzan closed didnt have to do with it not selling it had other reasons so everyone knows.


Yeah, actually, that was the reason. Check old "Broadway Grosses" on broadway.com... the facts are there. People stopped buying tickets because it really wasn't all that good of a show.

ok u know what no its not i know people who are in and ok?? i can get them to come u wanna know why. it was because 1. mary poppins or little mermaid spent too much money and they over budgeted so other shows suffer 2. since they are anederlander theatre something to do with that 3. no1 really knows for sure disney didnt let out ne info


Uh, he gave you hard facts. Tickets were not selling. If you do a simple search and go on a website, it is right there for you.
ok w.e its not selling but also there is no direct answer why the show closed and yes i have talked to josh (tarzan) i know what im saying

And you might want to stop while you're ahead. N00bs like you get a pretty bad reputation around here. It's in your best interest to just stop and think about what Luc was saying.


ok i know what im saying if u ask ne1 nobody knows 4 sure and yes i have talked to josh (tarzan)


Really, is it so hard to type out "you" and "anyone" and "for"? God forbid you have to type out a few extra letters... :roll:

And while you say you know Josh, whether that may or may not be true, the cold hard facts are out there that ticket sales just were not healthy.


yes believe me or not i have met josh and talked to him and i know people who are very good friends with him and they tell me i also have talked to dylan riley snyder and im not denying the fact that tickets may not be good but thats not the only reason something is behind that that ok. and srry if my ne1's and 4's bother u.

_________________
I LOVE TARZAN
I AM IN HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL!! BEAT THAT! :P
I GOT HUGGED BY JOSH STRICKLAND \:D/
I MET ANTHONY RAPP!
=D>


Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:28 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.