The Resource For Musicals

Tarzan Forum

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Tarzan to close in July... 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

What kind of decision is that? That's so retarded!

I wonder how THAT conversation went...

Okay, for the flying scenes and any scenes that the characters aren't on the ground, we should try out best to make it look like there are no ropes - make it look as real as possible.
But why would we do that if we could save money by making it look fake and amateur?
Good idea! We're Disney for goodness sakes, and we don't have any money to spend!
So, the fake look it is!

Hm.

And yes, I do realize that I'm over-exaggerating. 8)

Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:55 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Artiface
RainbowJude wrote:
The whole point of the design was to see all the strings, as it were. It's supposed to be obvious and, therefore, "fake". It's not a great creative decision - and of course, Tarzan seems to be plagued by several bad creative decisions - but it isn't just because they couldn't make the wires thinner or because they couldn't make them look like vines.

Later days
David

I don't see how it makes sense to WANT to have the strings showing. Why would you want something like that to be obvious in a show like that? That would be like the cherry picker thing in "Defying Gravity" in Wicked just being completely revealed. It just takes away the magic.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:57 am

^Or the transformation in Beauty and the Beast.

Like, having the Beast walk off and the Prince walk on... it would make absolutely no sense! The whole climax of the show is when he transforms, so it would be stupid to make it look fake. The whole point of Tarzan is that they are apes who swing around in the jungle... so why not make it look like that? They clearly have the money.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:08 am

^Or the transformation in Beauty and the Beast.

Like, having the Beast walk off and the Prince walk on... it would make absolutely no sense! The whole climax of the show is when he transforms, so it would be stupid to make it look fake. The whole point of Tarzan is that they are apes who swing around in the jungle... so why not make it look like that? They clearly have the money.

Don't be stupid, Disney have no money at all. :wink:

Also I know this is off topic, but I think the cherry picker in Defying Gravity is good as it's different to the usual Peter Pan flying.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:27 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Re: Artiface
RainbowJude wrote:
The whole point of the design was to see all the strings, as it were. It's supposed to be obvious and, therefore, "fake". It's not a great creative decision - and of course, Tarzan seems to be plagued by several bad creative decisions - but it isn't just because they couldn't make the wires thinner or because they couldn't make them look like vines.

pish123c wrote:
I don't see how it makes sense to WANT to have the strings showing. Why would you want something like that to be obvious in a show like that? It just takes away the magic.

musikal_geek wrote:
The whole point of Tarzan is that they are apes who swing around in the jungle... so why not make it look like that? They clearly have the money.

Which clearly underlines the fact that it was a creative choice. Come on, it obviously wasn't a financial one! A "nuts and bolts" approach to the design of a show is often a valid creative choice and can work if it is cleverly conceived, and it would seem that Disney, having previously appropriated theatrical elements that are non-traditional to the musical form in The Lion King (courtesy of the amazing Julie Taymor), thought that this kind of approach might work in Tarzan too, this time drawing upon elements of performance art and circus as seen in the work of Pichón Baldinu. This is also director Bob Crowley's first such assignment on a Broadway musical, even though he has an immense amount of experience as a designer. In the hands of a stronger director and/or dramaturg, maybe Tarzan could have been more satisfying - both visually and dramatically - but I don't think the pieces ever come together quite in the way they should.

Later days
David

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

ummm.. about the whole string thing thats obviously the way the wanted it to go i mean everyone knows its people but really thats not a big deal. the fact the tarzan closed didnt have to do with it not selling it had other reasons so everyone knows.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:32 pm

the fact the tarzan closed didnt have to do with it not selling it had other reasons so everyone knows.

Yeah, actually, that was the reason. Check old "Broadway Grosses" on broadway.com... the facts are there. People stopped buying tickets because it really wasn't all that good of a show.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:13 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
the fact the tarzan closed didnt have to do with it not selling it had other reasons so everyone knows.

Yeah, actually, that was the reason. Check old "Broadway Grosses" on broadway.com... the facts are there. People stopped buying tickets because it really wasn't all that good of a show.

ok u know what no its not i know people who are in and ok?? i can get them to come u wanna know why. it was because 1. mary poppins or little mermaid spent too much money and they over budgeted so other shows suffer 2. since they are anederlander theatre something to do with that 3. no1 really knows for sure disney didnt let out ne info

I MET ANTHONY RAPP!
=D>

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:11 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

musikal_geek wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:

ok u know what no its not i know people who are in and ok?? i can get them to come u wanna know why. it was because 1. mary poppins or little mermaid spent too much money and they over budgeted so other shows suffer 2. since they are anederlander theatre something to do with that 3. no1 really knows for sure disney didnt let out ne info

Uh, he gave you hard facts. Tickets were not selling. If you do a simple search and go on a website, it is right there for you.

And you might want to stop while you're ahead. N00bs like you get a pretty bad reputation around here. It's in your best interest to just stop and think about what Luc was saying.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:13 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
musikal_geek wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:

Uh, he gave you hard facts. Tickets were not selling. If you do a simple search and go on a website, it is right there for you.
ok w.e its not selling but also there is no direct answer why the show closed and yes i have talked to josh (tarzan) i know what im saying

And you might want to stop while you're ahead. N00bs like you get a pretty bad reputation around here. It's in your best interest to just stop and think about what Luc was saying.

ok i know what im saying if u ask ne1 nobody knows 4 sure and yes i have talked to josh (tarzan)

I MET ANTHONY RAPP!
=D>

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

pish123c wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
musikal_geek wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:

ok w.e its not selling but also there is no direct answer why the show closed and yes i have talked to josh (tarzan) i know what im saying

ok i know what im saying if u ask ne1 nobody knows 4 sure and yes i have talked to josh (tarzan)

Really, is it so hard to type out "you" and "anyone" and "for"? God forbid you have to type out a few extra letters... :roll:

And while you say you know Josh, whether that may or may not be true, the cold hard facts are out there that ticket sales just were not healthy.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:26 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
pish123c wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:
musikal_geek wrote:
DONT.LOOK.BACK wrote:

Really, is it so hard to type out "you" and "anyone" and "for"? God forbid you have to type out a few extra letters... :roll:

And while you say you know Josh, whether that may or may not be true, the cold hard facts are out there that ticket sales just were not healthy.

yes believe me or not i have met josh and talked to him and i know people who are very good friends with him and they tell me i also have talked to dylan riley snyder and im not denying the fact that tickets may not be good but thats not the only reason something is behind that that ok. and srry if my ne1's and 4's bother u.

I MET ANTHONY RAPP!
=D>

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next