The Resource For Musicals

Bye Bye Birdie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Birdie Bloopers 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

We didn't have very many bloopers. During dress rehersal one of huge box units for telephone hour got caught in the mid-stage curtain. Everyone had been directed to stop for nothing so our Conrad and Police Officer who were moving the piece just yanked really hard and ripped a HUUUGE whole in the curtain. Okay so huge means like 1.5 feet long but still. Also this was in practice but our Mayor kept trying to give Conrad the key to the County Fair instead of our fair city. But then again that kid is just an idiot who thinks he's amazingly talented but is honestly not. This is also in practice but the macafee family is on stage along with Albert and Mr Macafee was played but my very funny friend Shaughn who just happens to be blind. I was playing Kim and I had to sit him in this chair well when it got moved onto the stage somehow the block that kept it from reclining fell out and Shaughn sat down and the chair flipped over but Shaughn didn't want to wreck the scene so he did some whitty ad-libbing while we got him up and got the kid who played Randolph to stop giggling. Oh and our key also resembled a portion of the male anatomy and our Rosie made the mistake of holding it just right. Our director who is rather immature but a pretty great director started laughing to hard and then I noticed and pointed it out to the other girls in the fan club and well we had to stop preactice to explain to the bewildered Rose why we were laughing.

The Wizard of Oz-Scarecrow
The Sound of Music-Nun
Once Upon A Mattress-Winnifred

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:04 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Opening night: I was playing Randolph. In the scene in which Kim gets the call from Birdie's people, Mr. Macafee was reading a paper. In the breakfast scene, in which Randolph brings Mr. Macafee his paper which is in shreds, since he cut out every Birdie aritcle. Well, I picked up the wrong paper, the un-shredded one; I had no idea until he opened it up on stage. He just flicked through the pages so I said, "Mornin' Pa, here's your paper. I hope you don't mind but I cut out a few ariticles about Conrad..." and I realized it was the wrong paper. Uh-oh. So I ad-libbed, "But those are all on the front page, 'cause I mean... he's CONRAD BIRDIE!, so I'm glad you like your sports section first." And... a big cheesy grin.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:43 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Our Conrad didn't get his note one time for "Honestly Sincere" (problem with an amp in the pit). So he just came in on his own... and nailed the note PERFECTLY!

Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:39 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

This one happened during tech week, at the end of one of our (long) dress rehearsals. Our director had just finished giving notes on "Happy Face" and wanted to give some for "Telephone Hour" as well, but somehow the two merged in her mind, and what she ended up saying was "Happy Hour"! Needless to say, the entire cast burst into uncontrollable laughter.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:17 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

At the end of Rosie's Reprise of "One Boy", she gets upset and throws the briefcase off the stage, where a surprised Albert catches it.
In one of our rehearsals, Rosie threw it so hard and so low that Albert had to dive onto the ground to miss being hit. The entire cast laughed, and it's now part of the show.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:14 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Lesse...in rehearsal at the end of One Boy reprise Rosie chucked the briefcase at me and I tried to catch it, like I had done several times before...well, the corner of it slammed into the part of the palm right below my thumb and I don't know what happened but I couldn't close my hand for almost an hour. Hurt like crazy too :) Rosie was so upset that she never threw it to me again, it always landed on the ground and slid to me... Not my choice, I'd've broken my hand if I had to, lol.

We also kept having problems with our oven door. It wouldn't stay closed, and one night it fell open during one of Mae's lines. She covered it though, something like "These new-fangled contraptions never work"

A couple of nights of performance during "Put on a Happy Face" my mic fell off of my shirt and ended up dangling down at my knees.

Right before the scene at City hall one of the pillars fell backwards and ripped our scrim, luckily this was the last night.

Also on the last night, the scrim decided it wasn't going to go up all the way, so for the Ursula/Kim scene and "How Lovely to Be a Woman" the actresses had to lay on their bedroom floors.

There were more, but I can't think of them right now. :(

Ernst Ludwig-Cabaret

Past Roles:

Professor Weiss/Ensemble-Baby
Mr. Shu Fu-Good Person of Setzuan
Otter-The Wind in the Willows
Mr. Boddy-Clue the Musical
Roger-Grease
Albert Peterson-Bye Bye Birdie

Tue May 13, 2008 12:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

During the last night of our show everything was going perfect until Act II Scene 2, after Albert's big monologue about how Rose supposedly "failed", When he's begging Rosie to come back all whiny and everything The MacAfees are supposed to come out and see me, and I'm supposed to cover up by being aggressive, well after that the phone is supposed to ring, but it didn't, so the girl that played Mrs. MacAfee said "I think I hear the phone ringing" so I went up to get it and when I picked it up and started talking, the Deet-de-de on the sound crew made the phone ring while I was talking! Thankfully people thought it was part of the show!

The Pajama Game: Al

Present:
Bye, Bye, Birdie: Albert

Sat May 24, 2008 10:06 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

er, opening night, someone decided not to put the family phone onstage; I'm Kim, and when I went to use the phone, I had to walk offstage, say "This is she--yes, I'll wait!" in the wings, and then nonchalantly carry the phone onstage and sit down, as if phones were portable in the 50s. hehe. oh, well!

also, this isn't really a blooper, but our hugo got horribly sick at the performance last night, and since we have no understudies (greeeeat), our mr. johnson had to step in and perform the part for all of act two! he did a great job, thankfully, but it was nerve-racking for all of us!

um... at a dress rehearsal, I flung out my suitcase when I declared I wanted "to LIVE!", and the whole front part fell off! thank God for duct tape.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

After "Kids Reprise", our Hugo came out to tell the parents about Kim and Conrad going to the Icehouse, and Albert is supposed to cut him off. Well, our Albert missed his entrance, so Hugo went ahead and said "icehouse". A few seconds later, Albert came out and said "Where'd you get that from? No, they just went to the movies!". Then, the whole Rio scene played as usual, then Rosie came out and said "Albert, the rumors are true; Kim and Conrad went to the Icehouse!".

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:51 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Our set had fuctional windows with glass panes, and in the scene where the Sweet Apple girls watch Conrad eat, rather than flooding the kitchen our director decided to have the girls at the windows. They were supposed to bang on the windows until Mrs. McAfee opened them up, and then the girls would hang inside, push each other out of the way to see Conrad, etc. It was wicked cute until one of the girls forgot to bang on the wooden portion, and instead her hand went BANG through the window and shattered the glass. She was a tiny bit scratched up, but our main concern was Conrad who was in bare feet, so Mrs. McAfee just gasped, "Oh, my!" and started cleaning up the glass as best she could. It was horrible.

Also, the girls used cordless phones for the choreography of "Telephone Hour," and Ursula flung her arms out and whipped the phone offstage. She just mimed holding a phone for the rest of the routine. Not as bad as a broken window, but still pretty awkward.

Oh, and every night some little old lady in the audience would gasp when Albert said, "That's what you get for trying to buck Al Peterson!" Articulation is such a beautiful thing...[/i]

juror #7 ~ twelve angry men

Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:55 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

:lol: This is possibly the most hilarious thread I've ever read.

Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:58 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Kim in our production had only one dress and there were 2 girls playing kim one for act 1 and one for act 2.when Kim came out she had just finished dressing up and when she was dsinging lot of living she had the worst possibe thing on her shoe.TOILET PAPER! not only was she humiliated but she also triped on it when she got off stage.The audience did`nt stop laghing til the end of the song.She got a standing ovation.

Also,Conrad shattered his voice box on opening night.

We had a replacement for the next 11 peformaces.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next