The Resource For Musicals

Oliver! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Sort of funny mishaps 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Location: cant tell...it's a seeeecretttt...most of you already know.
Post Sort of funny mishaps
Every show has them, but it seems like our production of Oliver! had the most of the shows I've done...and they were sort of funny.

*For the week before the performance, our Dodger had come into practice saying "I don't feel good...""I think I'm gonna be sick..." and stuff like that, then it got to our first matinee show, and he said he was fine, well...he wasn't, after the chace scene at the end of act one, Dodger went back stage and was sick right in front of the girl's dressing room. He was a trooper though, he finished the show that day.

*Our Dodger wasn't having a good time with that chase scene...the day before he got sick after it was a dress rehursal, and Dodger, Oliver, and Charlie were supposed to run all over the house, well it was the night before the show, and Dodger tripped down the stairs! On stage, we couldn't see him, so we were just wondering why the bowstreet runners were just standing at the top of the steps...and he was crying and stuff on the floor, and the director thought he had broken his leg...turns out he twisted his ankle, but still he was limping the next day.

*At the end of the first performance, while Fagin was doing the reprise of "Reviewing the Situation", Our Nancy and our Bill stood up and walked away while the lights were still on...nobody understood that they were dead, and during notes that day, the director was like "No more maricles!"

* On the first real show, our Bill Sykes laughed a little bit during his song because a kid scooted away from him...I felt bad cuz I thought he was laughing at me, but he wasn't.

*No one relized that the orphan's didnt know the be back soon dance until like 3 days before our first show

*Dodger's shoe came off during Consider yourself on the third night.

*During the Sowrberry fight scene, Mr. Bumble missed his que, so Mrs. Sowerberry and Charlotte were on stage like "Mr. Bumble! Oh Mr. Bumble!"

I think that's about it for our perfomance (Don't get me wrong, or Dodger was AWESOME! He was the only lead person except Fagin who didn't forget one line or anything for all five performances)

How about you guys' shows?

Sun May 20, 2007 10:59 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

We were waiting backstage once behind the curtain, and a girl ran on like "I'm ready!" except that she had forgotten her pants! She had to run back off stage and put her pants on before entering. And I actually teched a show for younger kids where the girl playing one of the Sowerberries (I don't remember which) forgot her pants too. O.o

Our Bill Sykes was the least intimidating looking person of all time. It wasn't a mishap, but it was funny watching everybody try and be afraid of him.

I teched a show for younger kids, and the Mr. Bumble did not have any sort of idea of tempo. We had a recorded backtracking, so we couldn't speed up the music to match him. He ended up finishing "Boy for Sale" about a minute early. The director just made me turn the lights down while the music kept playing to help the scene change. x_x

This one was my favorite. I was playing Fagin (as a girl, yeah -- it was sort of a disaster, but really fun) and I had a fake beard. I was holding up some money to inspect it on our first show, and Bill Sykes was supposed to pull it out of my hands. Except that time he got the beard as well and ripped it off my face. So I had to tak ethe beard and the money back saying, "No, no my dear. That's mine Bill... mine." It was quite hilarious.

Sun May 20, 2007 11:39 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Ooh I have a few.

Our Bill Sykes was the least intimidating looking person of all time. It wasn't a mishap, but it was funny watching everybody try and be afraid of him.

This one was my favorite. I was playing Fagin (as a girl, yeah -- it was sort of a disaster, but really fun) and I had a fake beard. I was holding up some money to inspect it on our first show, and Bill Sykes was supposed to pull it out of my hands. Except that time he got the beard as well and ripped it off my face. So I had to tak ethe beard and the money back saying, "No, no my dear. That's mine Bill... mine." It was quite hilarious.

Our Bill was very intimidating, but I made the mistake of getting to know him, and once you got to know him, he was a goofball, and I was his dance partner during the finale...and we were really good friends...and when he was like BBIIIIIIIILLLLLLLL SYYYYYYYYKKKKEEESSSSS!! during his song, I had to look down to keep from laughing...he was like obsessed with the play CATS, so backstage, he was singing "Memories" in falsetto, and lip singing to the girl on stage singing "I shall scream" so he always made me laugh, and it was really hard to take him serious when he was a baritone singing "My name"

And our Fagin was awesome, at the end he got way more applause than Oliver did, and that was sorta sad... anyway, he was backstage trying to find the director so he could give the director the check for $30 to buy his DVD, and he went upto our Bill and was like "Mine, Bill, mine" with his check, that was hilarious...

all the guys also did an Oliver cheerleading pyramid...like Fagin, noah, and Bill were on the bottom, and Oliver was on the top...and our oliver and our bill had been best friends since third grade... so yeah, we weren't in character at all...except thew pickpocket who actually tried to pickpocket the townspeople backstage...

Last edited by BroadwayObssessed on Sun May 20, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 20, 2007 11:51 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

On the second night of our show, the kid playing the Dodger (Simon) started a fire backstage. He was mucking around with a lighter and a stack of programmes caught light. Someone came to the rescue with a fire extinguisher and the director was all set to kill Simon, but he was due on stage and did not have an understudy.

My cousin did Oliver! when he was six (as one of Fagin's gang) and hit another child onstage for taking a prop away from him.

Past shows:
Jennifer - The Witches of Eastwick
Nurse/Pinball Girl - Tommy
Ensemble - Oliver!

Sun May 20, 2007 12:25 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

All three nights people missing lines here and there, both dialogue and song

All three nights lots of loud dropped utensils throughout Food Glorious Food

Friday night they started the second act Oom Pah Pah without telling most of the wenches and rogues. Everyone had to casually saunter in during the song here and there as they chanced to discover Act II had started :?

Saturday night Nancy nearly fell off the bench she stands on to start Oom Pah Pah :o

Saturday night, Mr Percy Snodgrass missed his entrance and Nancy and I had to grab the Chairman to fill in for him on the spot (we sit on him for "girl on each knee" and Vanna White his nose for "what is the cause of his red shiny nose")

Saturday night I (Bet) stepped on a thieve's kitchen iron skillet during I'd Do Anything and it made a tremendous clanging noise right in the middle of my duet with Oliver #-o

Sunday night our Rose Seller tripped and fell down the stairs on her exit, showering the audience with fake roses, because she could not see in the dark 8O

Sunday night I (Bet) took a step backwards during the scene where we steal Oliver back amongst the crowd at the exact same time Bullseye chose to stand right behind me. I stepped on his paw and he yelped really loud :oops:

Sunday night during the above incident, I had a big tickle in my throat and had to cough really bad during the whole scene. I managed to keep it in but tears were rolling down my face and Nancy was looking at me a bit strange over that

Sunday night Bullseye also yelped really loud when exiting the thieve's kitchen after Fine Life Reprise because his leash had been yanked a bit too hard

Sunday night one of the orphans ate it big time on the front steps running down for curtain call, his little hat flying into the audience :(

I'm sure I'll have more for you next weekend!

Mon May 21, 2007 1:01 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

well during the fight scene in our oliver, i was playing nancy and after bill killed me he was supposed to throw his stick back to us but instead he hit bet in teh face, and it was a heavy stick! she was out of it for a ocuple minutes.

i also danced all of fagin's dances backstage with one of the techies and always made our fagin crack up.

Fri May 25, 2007 6:02 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

i also danced all of fagin's dances backstage with one of the techies and always made our fagin crack up.

Speaking of that, our Bill used to stand backstage during rehusals and head bang to the chorus of omm-paa-paa, like he'd just be standing there, then when it got to the chorus, he'd start head banging...lol at the last rehursals, he was just doing it to get me to laugh, and he got Dodger to do it too, and they both had longer hair and when they'd stop, it'd be all poofy. :lol: :lol:

Fri May 25, 2007 6:43 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post I Didnt miss my que!
I didnt! It was that damn Noah Claypole who forgot to open the door!

Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:01 am
Profile YIM WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Re: I Didnt miss my que!
MrBumbleRocks wrote:
I didnt! It was that damn Noah Claypole who forgot to open the door!

*No comment*

((You shoulda just opened it yourself :P 8) ))

Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:04 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

When I was in Oliver, I was Oliver, and it was a proffessional production. In the Funeral Palour, when Oliver is supposed to eat, I had to eat cut up bits of a hot dog and some bread bits. Since I had to eat this right before my solo, Where is Love, I also got a cup of water. After I ate the hot dogs, which were very greasy, when I picked up the cup of water, it slipped out of my hands. :oops: But it actually worked perfectly, because Charlotee was just like, YOU WORKUS'!!! And Wiped it up with her rag. After the show I asked some of my freinds who watched the show, and they said that they thought it was part of the show!!! :D

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:23 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I played nancy, during fine life reprise fagin's walking stick became a deadly weapon, as our Bill and i tried to fight with fagin in the middle breaking it up, i got knocked pretty good. it was actually pretty funny!

Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:32 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

oh god, we had so many funny mishaps in our show.

I played Charlotte, and so many times people coming onstage for the pre-Consider Yourself scene would slip on the water I had just gotten all over the floor.

Our Bill Sykes was the most terrifying one I've ever seen, and he was such a good actor and rarely ever screwed, up but when he did it was hilarious. His weapon of choice in our version was a cane, and on preview night he accidentally let it fly out of his hand and across the stage. Or one time when it really sounded like he screamed "Bill sucks!"

When the bow street runner was dragging dodger offstage after the murder, they tripped over each others feet and fell over.

Before the murder scene, we had a prostitute standing by the bridge looking for tricks. And I was standing backstage with mr. brownlow, and I say to him "Can you see her nipples?" I believe she had actually pulled her boobs up so much her nipples were hanging out of her corset.

Oh, and the most painful one, was when me and Mrs. sowerberry were putting Oliver in the coffin, I was holding Oliver's head to make sure he didnt get hurt as I put him down, and ironically, Noah ends up slamming the coffin door on MY head.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next