The Resource For Musicals

A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Help :) 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Help :)
HI! (thanks for helping) I am auditioning for Philia at my college... has anyone auditioned for (or better yet Played) this part before? My biggest dilemma when auditioning is first finding and choosing the best, most PERFECT song to perform! If someone tells me WHAT to sing to demonstrate my ability to play Philia, I know I can rock it..... I would be so grateful for your help!!!

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:44 pm

I didn't play Philia, but I was Dominia a few years back.

The best song to choose is one that will show off your voice at its best. Select a song that you personally like to sing, and you'll do fine.

If you want to go with something that would reflect Philia's character, you could do worse than 'Falling in Love with Love' or 'I Feel Pretty', I suppose. It's hard to find songs for an airhead! You could do 'Lovely', but your director may not want you to sing anything from the show. Ask him what he has in mind, and then go from there.

Good luck!

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:26 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Somewhere That's Green from Little Shop of Horrors would work...Audrey is really the only other major character in musical theatre that i can think of that is an airhead...the song may be slightly contemporary...but it think that it would be a good song for philia...whatever you do

DO NOT DO GREEN FINCH AND LINNET BIRD from SWEENEY TODD BECAUSE I GUARINTEE THAT THERE WILL BE SEVERAL OTHER SOPRANOS THAT USE IT JUST BECAUSE IT IS SONDHEIM AND HIGH!!!

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:32 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re Please please ect
Having just directed Forum the best advice I could give you is look at Philias solo "Lovely". Our Philia was only 18 and did it in a thick Northrern accent which was very funny in the UK. May not work elsewhere. :lol: Having just started on Sweeney I would not advise "Green Finch.." Having sat through countless auditions I still prefer to hear a song from the show I am casting If it is possible. Anyway I wish you luck it's a great part and a brilliant Show.

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:30 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I played this part and I sang On The Steps of the Palace from Into the Woods. Funny story- I had a real "blonde moment" at the audition. I didn't realize that the sheet music I picked out only had the vocal line and had no piano music. I found that out when I handed it to the accompanyist/music director. It was pretty ditzy and slightly embarassing- I ended up singing the song acapella and must have done a good job with it because the next day they called me and told me I got the part! Maybe they thought I was just getting into character :D . Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose and let us know how it turns out.

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:38 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Personally, I like Philia's song, "That'll Show Him" better than Lovely, I think it portrays Philia's character much more than "Lovely." The song gives you a lot of room to just be ditzy, over the top and blonde. =D

Thu May 17, 2007 8:42 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

If you're hesitant about trying a sondheim piece for your audition, for which I don't think anyone would blame you, I think it'd be wise to look into some of Hope's songs from Urinetown. She's very much a Philia-like character, and I think the ideals that she communicates in her songs really point towards that virginal-ingenue type that Philia is. Good luck!

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]