The Resource For Musicals

Ragtime Forum

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
my school is doing ragtime, can u answer some questions 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post my school is doing ragtime, can u answer some questions
ok so this year we did beauty and the beast and it was so much fun, but next year they were thinking about doing ragtime. i never heard of ragtime, i was just wondering what it is about and everything, cause like adutioning for beauty and the beast was easy cause everyone know what beauty and the beast is lol. so yea what is the story line and what is it about. thanks

The Phantom Tollbooth- Tock

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:22 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

http://www.google.com
http://www.mtimusicworlds.com
http://www.wikipedia.com

I assume you're doing the school version. Ragtime is about the era of Ragtime in America. If you're not up on your history, that was around the turn of the century in the 1900s. It deals with a lot of issues. I'm actually surprised it was chosen, it's a bit controversial. Also, it requires a very diverse cast, with a lot of African-American roles.

The story basically deals with a typical upper-class family, consisting of Mother, Father, Grandfather, the Little Boy and Mother's Younger Brother. Mother takes in a poor workgirl named Sarah and Sarah's son. The plot focuses both on Mother's family, Sarah and her boyfriend Coalhouse Walker, Jr. and Tateh and his Little Girl (poor Jewish immigrants), with some appearances by Emma Goldman, Henry Ford and Harry Houdini.

Order the CD off Amazon. It's a good deal ($16) for a two-disc set, and you will enjoy it.

Next time, however, why don't you try Google before MdN? A simple Google search could have easily found you what I just said, and much more.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:36 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

o well idk how we would do that cause um there are like no black people in my school lol. were all white lol. and i hered that there is alot of danceing. and not that i can't dance but i like singing better lol, so is there like any parts that don't dance as much, jw. and are school might not even do this show, he said it is a big show and he would need to save up money cause the budget this year we used like 40,000 for beauty and the beast, and normally they do small shows inbetween large show, so maybe in a few year.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:32 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
o well idk how we would do that cause um there are like no black people in my school lol.

THEN DON'T DO IT.

I am serious.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

umm its not my choice, its are directors choice, but he is very creative maybe he would think of a way.

The Very Angry Woman wrote:
ILoveToSing2010 wrote:
o well idk how we would do that cause um there are like no black people in my school lol.

THEN DON'T DO IT.

I am serious.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:37 pm

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
umm its not my choice, its are directors choice, but he is very creative maybe he would think of a way.

Yep, shoepolish is always a way to win over people. Tell him to Google Al Jolson.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:51 pm
Profile WWW

ILoveToSing2010 wrote:

Yep, shoepolish is always a way to win over people. Tell him to Google Al Jolson.

Oh dear... #-o

But she is right...don't do it if you don't have the right people to even be cast.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:10 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Location: The middle of the woods in Indiana at a college no one's ever heard of...but I love it!
its impossible to do it without black people! it would be so confusing trying to remember who was "black" and the whole meaning of the show would be lost. it just wouldn't work! i hope you find a solution or choose a different show! best of luck!

Past roles:
Mother-Ragtime
Snake-Children of Eden
Mrs. Mayor-Seussical
Abigail-Big

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

My high school did Ragtime without any black people and it was a HUGE success...people thought our teachers were crazy because they spent $50,000 on it but we ended up making $10,000 extra...It's not impossible

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:15 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

So did they use makeup, or did you just tell the audience who was what race? I imagine it could get difficult to portray racial tension when everyone is the same race.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:19 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Color blind casting is a wonderful thing. When it's appropriate for the show. You'd never dream of doing "Big River" with a white Jim... Unless you had a moron for a director. "Ragtime" is about racial equality and injustice. It's about the class system in America. You do it without any minority cast members and you don't really do the show.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:07 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^ Exactly. Color-blind casting is great, unless the character's color is defining to the show or its meaning. And the black characters in Ragtime are what make the show what it is.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next