The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1897 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 159  Next
The College Thread 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post The College Thread
Well.. I've sucessfully found the one thing that Mdn does not have.. and that's help for those of us about to begin a search for our perfect musical theatre College, and prepare for the nerve-wracking audition process so crucial to our futures.

So.. as I start myself along this journey, I figured I'd document it along the way to help out anyone else that finds they're in the same position, as well as open things up to everyone else for added input.

First off, I've found a few REALLY great resources thus far.

This is a forum through the website College Confidential dedicated solely to musical theatre majors.. Contains an EXTREME wealth of knowlegde, and I highly recommend reading it.
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/forumdisplay.php?f=501p

This is a FAQ website about the college confidential forum, but along the left hand column there are some incredibly valuable links.
http://www.geocities.com/musicaltheatercolleges/

This Also Contains a good amount of information on individual schools, and allows you to create your own personalized college list. There are a bunch of other features that I haven't even begun to look at on here either.
http://www.collegeboard.com/

I've also gotten myself a large 5-subject notebook to dedicate to this process. After Reading Through the above resources a bit, from word of mouth, and just general knowledge, I've written down Schools I've seen or heard mentioned as having a good Musical Theatre Program. I'm going to research, and do a process of elimination of sorts in trying to find those schools best for me, personally. I hope that my process can be used as a guide, as well as a source of information for those along the way!

Here's my First Draft of a List of Colleges.
I'm sure I'm leaving out a few. Let me know so that I can add them on before continuing research!
I've also got a bit more to read, and a few more people to talk to.
I think I may need another page....
I've also included what state they're in.. just for better identification.
This is just anything I've heard mentioned, not the most reputable or best programs. I'll get there eventually. :)

I am convinced you were meant to be a gay man... you were just born a woman. _DCrowley

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
And if you disagree B-I-T-E-M-E.

Last edited by Bianca. on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:42 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Bard
Boston U
Conn College
Roosevelt (Chicago College of the Performing Arts)
Skidmore

I've been looking at schools from a mainly straight theatre perspective, so check them out before adding them to your own list, but I've done some pretty heavy research.

I agree, we need to have a school/education section here. Hopefully this thread will help bring attention to it.

The Skin of Our Teeth

Favorite faces...
La Poncia
Marceline
Volumnia
Grace Poole

Desired personas...
Katherine
Susan
Titania
Beatrice
Meredith

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:15 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Northeastern University
Boston University
Suffolk University
Connecticut College
Ithaca College
Emerson College

here's my choices at the moment...this could change any time but i really am interested in these ones. i am looking for a double major in business and music education.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:42 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
If you're auditioning for UArts (which you SHOULD, I auditioned there last month), I can tell you all about the audition if you want.

For Penn State, I hope you've gotten your application in, as it's a very, very in-demand school. And for the theatre program, you'd have to go to the University Park campus because the others (ex. Abington) don't have theatre.

I suggest you look at both of those. And Arcadia University's regular theatre program is good supposedly, but for musical theatre it's not so fab.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:54 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

So EMerson appears to be very popular. I'll probably apply there, UCLA (high hopes), UCSD, NYU... I've been told to apply to Carnegie Mellon.

I also challenge you east coasters to apply to some west coast schools!

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I almost went to Emerson (for Theatre Education), but didn't.

I went to SUNY Fredonia and saw that was on the list so I can probably answer any questions you might have.

I saw that SUNY Buffalo was on your list too and if I were you I might cross it off. Every single friend I have that goes there wants to transfer out of the department or already has because so many changes are going on within the department and its kind of falling apart.

I also have friends at Baldwin-Wallace, Elon and Boston so I could get you information about that as well.

My friend recently auditioned for Point Park and apparently they are very focused on dance, so if dance isn't your strong point, you may want to brush up and take some classes if you plan to audition there.

CCM is one of THE hardest schools to get in vocally.

Niagara U's department also isn't that great. There's not a huge amount of talent there, which can be a good thing if you want to get cast all the time. However there is no audition for the actual theatre major and its not a B.F.A. Its a B.A. in Theatre Performance. I have some friends who go there, but they are the type of people who chose to go there because they knew they wouldn't get in anywhere else if they had to audition.

I also know that New Paltz has a pretty weak music department, but I'm not sure how the theatre department is. But its something to keep in mind knowing that the same voice faculty from the music department is probably the same voice faculty who will be doing your musical theatre voice lessons.

That's about all the information I can offer now. You have a pretty well rounded list, but I just thought I'd point out a few schools that might be trouble spots.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:14 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I also have friends at Baldwin-Wallace, Elon and Boston so I could get you information about that as well.

some info from this friend from Boston would be great!

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:16 pm

Why didn't you. I really want to go there as a theatre major (not musical theatre).

My main criteria is a school with a strong yet small theatre program. And even though I don't want to major in musical theatre, I still want to be able to perform in musicals.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Anyone have anything (i.e. went to, knows someone who went to) Northwestern?

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:48 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

MsDivaKate wrote:
Why didn't you. I really want to go there as a theatre major (not musical theatre).

My main criteria is a school with a strong yet small theatre program. And even though I don't want to major in musical theatre, I still want to be able to perform in musicals.

It was a money issue. It was closer for me to stay in state. I got accepted to Shenadoah and Baldwin-Wallace as well. Baldwin-Wallace gives almost no aid to people from out of state and the other two schools didn't have much better aid packets. So I chose to stay in state and go cheap with a SUNY school. I liked Fredonia's program because, at least for Musical Theatre and Vocal Performance, it was small. There were lots of B.A. Theatre majors though and some B.F.A. Acting majors.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:11 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

MsDivaKate wrote:

some info from this friend from Boston would be great!

Sure. I think he will be in town this weekend to attend our high school's 50th Anniversary Musical (which happens to be Hello Dolly...ick) so I will chat him up when I see him after the show (since I HAVE to go because my sister is in it and our family friend is Dolly).

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:12 am

^I've worked with a lot of people who have gone to Fredonia and they are so sweet! They definitely had some great training and were a joy to work with on a professional level. (I'm sure we both know some of the same people, Kate! LOL!)

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 1897 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 159  Next