The Resource For Musicals

Brigadoon Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Meg Brockie 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Meg Brockie
Hi Everyone!

My name is Heather and I'm involved in lots of community theatre and I absolutely LOVE it. So far I've played Sally in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown, Sister Mary Amnesia in many of the Nunsense musicals, and Jasmine in Leader of the pack, plus various roles in the chorus.

Recently I auditioned for Brigadoon, and I've been casted as Meg Brockie. We don't have our first rehearsal until Monday, and I'm absolutely dying to know more about my part and either I'm awful with computers or there isn't any information to be found about my character! From what I gather she is quite funny, kinda the town hussy. Can anyone fill me in? I'm SO excited to be challenging myself in a new way, with the Scottish accent and being an off colour character. I've always been the goody goody. So anything you can tell me would be great!

Thanks,
Heather

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:20 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
first tip..you werent "casted" you were "cast". the word "casted" doesnt exsit.

2nd..Congrats!! Meg is a great role!!! she has 2 of the best songs in the show and gets one of the best scenes with Jeff.

her big songs are "Love of My Life"..possibly the wittiest lyric Lerner ever wrote.
and "My Mother's Wedding Day" anther fun song.

Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:51 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

OH!!!!! I LOVE this role!!!! I played Fiona back in high school, (probably the only time I'll ever play the engenue for the rest of my life!) and our Meg was hysterical!! It's a part that can really steal the show. Her two songs are hysterical. Start learning your lyrics for "My Mother's Weddin Day" as soon as you can though. That is a tongue-twister song!!! But if you hit it just right, I think it's the funniest song in the show! Oh, and all the other classics. I mean, who else here thinks "Almost Like Being in Love" is just one of the best songs out there? Beautiful score, fun show. You are essentially the supporting female role. When it comes to females in that show, I would say the order goes:

Fiona
Meg
Jeannie
Jane
Kate

And Meg is truly a fun role that you can play with and be very creative with and, like I said, probably steal the show with! You will have a blast!!!!!! I want update postings throughout the run!!! :-)

Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:59 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm currently preparing the role of Meg for a community show being staged in January (oh so soon!). My advice so far would be that Meg's songs are really the most challenging in the show. The tunes themselves are very easy, but what makes them difficult is all the words. Then, on top of the words, you've got to add the accent. While practicing, I've been doing a lot of speaking of the lyrics, and Italian run-throughs of the lyrics because it will be so important for the audience to actually know what I'm saying. Anyway, good luck to you with the part, and congrats, I know that I couldn't be happier to be playing this role myself.

Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:29 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Who are Jane and Kate? There was no Jane and Kate on our Brigadoon! x

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Jane is the fiance of Tommy. She's in the New York Scene and that's about it, I believe.

Kate is a one line part, I think she has a line either right before or right after Come To Me, Bend To Me or during Jeannie's Packing Up or something. Its a tiny tiny part that I'm not even sure why they bothered to give the character a name lol

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:40 pm

How could Jane not be included in the production? She's kinda the reason that Tommy leaves Brigadoon in the first place.... :?

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:58 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Doh! God im stupid. Yes ofcourse Jane was in our production.
Kate wasnt, i think her one line was just listed as 'Girl' in ours.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Meg is a blast. In fact...so much so, that they cut her songs out of the movie because they were a bit too sexual for the times. really, she can steal the show. They key is to have a boisterous fun-loving wench nature, she does not care what anyone thinks about her( is not the brightest)....and openly will chase the men. When I did this role, during Mother's wedding day ...I danced with the men between my verses, swatted a few rumps etc( and um, that was fun, lol)...Fiona may be the ingenue soprano lead....but when I would come on stage I would get cheers and fox calls from the audience etc....so it is one of those character roles you can really ham up. In fact, when I look back to my happiest moments on stage, instantly what comes to mind is Singing Mother's wedding day, with the whole cast around me with high energy, pantomiming the verses and dancing etc....the audience laughing. It just was kind of one of those "glow" moments. And I have been in over fifty productions, so that says something.

I was lucky because I used to do Ren faires with a Scottish persona, and had done the show when I was a teen as well, so diction came easy for me.....have fun with it, the accent really makes the songs all the more colorful and funny. When singing mother's day, give physicalization to the characters she sings about--for me like, mae Magee had her own little pose and voice, singing of father included a stumble and a hiccup mid-word etc...oh yeah. I got my boobs groped too. During Love of my Life i sat on jeff's lap, and during the first verse of, " so there neith the moon where romance often springs, I gave him my heart and a few other things"....on a " few other things" I lifted his hands and put them on my chest, lol. I doubt they would do that for a high-school production though.

anyhoo, have fun. :)

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:01 am
Profile WWW

When I was in Brigadoon we had a great Meg who had great chemistry with Jeff. Meg is pretty much the easy girl in town. She is the type of girl who is constantly flirting and can be rather annoying. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LOUD OBNOXIOUS LAUGH. This will kill if you laugh loud and hard and long enough...It did with all nine of our audiences anyway at two different locals...

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:04 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post I'm BACK!
Hi Everyone,

Thank you SO much for all your responses! We are well into rehearsals now and I'm absolutely LOVING it! The entire cast is super nice and supportive, and I really think I'm lucky to have the chance to play Meg Brockie!

I've always played the doe eyed innocent girl or nun for that matter, so this is a real challenge for me. Our Jeff is helping me out a lot with the Scottish accent, and it's coming along just great! (this is the first show I've had to do an accent for)

I'm not a hardcore broadway performer. I'm just your average girl working in a retirement home who has a passion for theatre and making people laugh. I hope I can do it here! I'm sure I can with the brilliant writing of this show.

Anyhow, I'll keep you all posted! I love going to rehearsals, and I can't wait intil opening night....March 29th!!

Bye for now!

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:57 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

So, tomorrow night is opening night!! I had been having a problem with My Mother's Wedding Day...the director gave me a bunch of new choreography and movement for the song 3 days before opening night, which totally threw me off and the rehearsal before dress I completely just got into it having so much fun I sang verse 4 when it should of been verse 2....and then I was pretty much screwed! I had a huge mental block up then...I think I was scared of the song! But last night we had our dress rehearsal, and I conqured it and I feel so much better about it!

So, wish me luck! Bye for now :)

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next