The Resource For Musicals

Dreamgirls Forum

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Dreamgirls! 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

katethegreat wrote:
DramaRobin2002 wrote:
I'm going this week to see it (was supposed to last night but plans fell through :cry: ). I think I'm actually more nervous about the "obnoxious audience" than not enjoying the movie. After the experiences I had at both Rent and The Producers and the fact that when I went to see another movie someone loudly booed after the Dreamgirls preview, I'm almost expecting some sort of disruption.

I feel like that everytime I think about going to the cinema now! I swear its getting worse - not as bad as what you've described, but some girl answered her phone right in the middle of a film I went to see the other week and started having a loud and animated conversation that went on for ages before an usher dragged her out. I don't know what it costs to go to the flicks in the US, but here in the UK it isn't that cheap - and its more expensive in London (like everything else :roll: ). Why pay nearly £10 (about $15) to sit and talk, when you can do it outside for free? Ugh :x
Anyway - back to the thread! Neither the film or the musical are out here yet. I'm looking forward to both!

It's an average of about $9 in the US and I completely agree. Why pay so much to go see a movie in a movie theater when all you are going to do is talk, check you cellphones (that is my pet peeve- looking at the screen and seeing out of the corner of my eye all these little lit up cell phone screens across the audience) and generally ruin the moviegoing experience for everyone else who also paid $9 to be there? I'm thinking about going to a day viewing or a really, really late viewing of Dreamgirls to make my chances of a quiet audience better. Although, it was at a really late viewing of Rent where I almost got my butt kicked because of a comment the group behind me made about Idina Menzel.

The other thing I don't understand is how people can't sit still for the length of the average film - only about an hour and a half! 8O Its not even hard for people to sit that long without going to the toilet - is it? If they were in a theatre watching a play/musical/opera, whatever - they wouldn't be allowed back in, until at least a suitable point.
I Central London you can pay more or less the same for a theatre ticket as a cinema ticket, why not behave the same? ARGH!! :evil:

I went to see the premiere of Little Children at the london film festival this year, most of the audience were there for free. Most silent cinema I've ever been in until the round of applause at the end! Helped that the film was fantastic

Looks like I'm gonna have to invest in one of those huge tellys one day so I can enjoy films again! :wink:

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:46 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
As for other audience members - why do they need vats of drink and buckets of popcorn? Why the noisy non-stop guzzling? It's offputting, distracting, and disgusting.

lol. That was funny. :lol:

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:03 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

^
Hot dogs and nachos are the worst because they stink aswell! :evil:
I like to go the cinema to lose myself in the film, and I usually get used to the sound. I'll have to just lock myself in my room with my tiny telly and a dvd rental card til after new year methinks! #-o

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:06 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Loved it loved it loved it. I especially loved "And I am telling you....". I wasn't familiar with the music besides what was in CAMP, so when I heard that song, i kept thinking "This song isn't going anywhere, but Hudson is rocking the ---- out of it and MAKING it go somewhere". And that's what my workshop teacher keeps saying. When the lyrics don't move the arc of a song, you MAKE them move it. I was super impressed with Hudson, she did it in every single song in addition to rocking vocally.
do you mean the movie camp? And if so which song were from both?

Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:25 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

kakoforever wrote:
Loved it loved it loved it. I especially loved "And I am telling you....". I wasn't familiar with the music besides what was in CAMP, so when I heard that song, i kept thinking "This song isn't going anywhere, but Hudson is rocking the ---- out of it and MAKING it go somewhere". And that's what my workshop teacher keeps saying. When the lyrics don't move the arc of a song, you MAKE them move it. I was super impressed with Hudson, she did it in every single song in addition to rocking vocally.
do you mean the movie camp? And if so which song were from both?

The ugly blonde girl sang "And I Am Telling You" during one of the.. montage-y... things.. I don't even know what to call it. She actually wasn't half bad, though really scratchy.

Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Ok, paid £12.50 ( 8O yes, stupid I know! 8O ) to see a film in the west end today. But my friend was here (she's been studying in Grenada for 4 years and I haven't seen her in about 7...)and after a fruitless search for decent tickets we could both afford, we decided to just go to the cinema.
We went to the Apollo West End (lower regents st next to tesco metro!) and you get an amazing cinema for your money, huge seats that would rival 1st on some airlines, beautiful toilets with strange colour changing rocks...and the best thing...not one person spoke or made a noise through the ENTIRE FILM! :mrgreen: =D> :mrgreen: =D>
Pity I can't pay £12.50 all that often :?

*The film was great too - called Perfume. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it!*

Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:47 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I saw Dreamgirls last night. Overall, i thought it was good. Amazing? No Good yes. definitely overall, not as good as I thought it would be with all that hype. First off, Jennifer Hudson is AMAZING! There is juts no denying it. Whether it was And I'm Telling you...or a random one line her vocals were just inspiring. She was not this good on AI. She owned that part. Yes OK Jennifer Holiday owns the part too, but they can share it. I have seen a video of Holiday's Effie and they were different so it both works. Yes she deserves an award. Obviously Effie is the lead role, but I think they are putting her in supporting because she will have an easier win that way. However, I think she could win lead actress. This brings me to Anika Noni Rose. Now she should be nominated for best supporting. I absolutely loved her. She had me cracking up and what pipes she has. It was obviously the least showy or well-defined of the dreams but she was great. Now to Beyonce. First let me say, I am a huge fan. I have both her solo albums and was a huge Destiny child fan. I always thought her voice was amazing. Now she was fine in the movie. Her part did not take much to be honest. Be happy and innocent here be a bitch here. Her big number, Listen would honestly have been awesome....except Hudson completely makes you forget about it. i was impressed w/ Beyonce during Listen but when you match it Hudson, nope. When the three sang dialogue, it was pretty clear that Beyonce was the weakest singer. She would add some rolls and stuff that were way off. However, I think she made a fine Deena, which is kinda blah role. I thought Jamie Foxx was fine. Do not love the part itself. Eddie Murphy was so great. He was so funny and entertaining. An award though? Not so much. It just wasn't a meaty role at all. He may win for namesake and come back reasons, but I can think of more deserving people. I liked Danny Glover and the guy who played CC just fine. Glover was good, it was nice to see him again. I thought CC's voice was good, once again not amazing. Now the best parts for me were the opening sequence with the other 4 member girl group, who rocked it out and then of course whenever Hudson sang. The emotion in her voice wow. Now the things that kinda bothered me: I thought once the girls' careers started taking off it got slow. Hudson got to And I'm telling and I was like wow this is the half way point. But then I felt that the ending was so rushed and sloppy. Overall, I kept thinking a lot of the cuts and transitions weer so choppy. Some really bad flow. They also use news clips to show passage of time. I got the idea but they were so jerky, and did not fit with the tone/feel/style of the movie. My only other complaint is that the story takes place over many many years, the costumes and hair changed appropriately with the times, but the girls never appeared to age, especially Hudson who after being outed from the dreams, took out her weave and suddenly looked like she was 16 and living today. Then she comes back and becomes a diva and they dress her like she is 40. So that is it. Do I think it is the best of the recent movie musicals. Honestly I do not overall. Do i think it was the best movie of the year, not even close. Did I like it and was I entertained...for the most part. Would I recommend it. Well buy the CD it is so worth it just to hear the awesome music and tight harmonies. As for the movie, see it just to see Hudson if nothing else. Best performance of all the recent movie musicals. The movie just rocked when she was on screen singing or not. When she wasn't on screen you were just waiting for her. OK that is all. Thanks for reading if you got this far!

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:01 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

^^Good to see I'm not the only person who really appreciated Anika's voice. It seems like everyone I see who's not theatrically-inclined didn't even notice her.

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

^^Good to see I'm not the only person who really appreciated Anika's voice. It seems like everyone I see who's not theatrically-inclined didn't even notice her.

Unfortunatelyher character is kinda in the background but both my friend and I were liek damn listen to her. Iw anna hear more from her. As awesoem as she was, I think because how the character is in the movie, pushed in the background, she won't get as much press or career boost out if this. It is a shame. I mena her voice rocked. I am sure she coudl have sang some Effie stuff ya know

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:43 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

OneSongGlory wrote:

Unfortunatelyher character is kinda in the background but both my friend and I were liek damn listen to her. Iw anna hear more from her. As awesoem as she was, I think because how the character is in the movie, pushed in the background, she won't get as much press or career boost out if this. It is a shame. I mena her voice rocked. I am sure she coudl have sang some Effie stuff ya know

Definately. She beeeelted out Let's Hear it for the Boy from Footloose when she played Rusty on Broadway several years back, she's got the power, but we only really got to see it in "It's All Over" - which, by the way, was probably my favorite to watch/listen to.

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

*The film was great too - called Perfume. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it!*

I have heard that is very good.

Back on subject.

Can't really expand much on what I said in the Dreamgirls forum. Looking forward to seeing old Eddie Murphy!

Although if I had to list the members of this forum whose sense of self-worth seems alarmingly dependent upon the constant sycophantic support of internet-based friends, I`d certainly run out of fingers. - Mumsytype

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next