The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
High School Audition Guide 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post High School Audition Guide
I FEEL LIKE PREACHING. I just got done helping my friend cast a show for a high school. The Show was B&TB. After going through this I am amazed at what highschoolers think is a good audition. So all those high schoolers that sit and cry and say "Why did she get the part!!!!" listen up, and I will tell you some great tips to getting a roll in the show. By the way i realise alot of high schoolers know this already but I am absoulutly amazed at the kids that don't.

THE HIGHSCHOOL AUDITION GUIDE
by DaddyDiesel

Directors and Parents:
This is always a fun deal. Believe it or not their are parents out there that think thier child is the best at everything. It doesnt matter how bad or good their child is they still think thier kid is the best. But do not fret. If you have a good director PARENTS WILL NOT SWAY THE DIRECTORS DECISION! Dont get me wrong some parents are very vocal. When you become a highschool coach or any kind of director you just kind of figure that into the job. Oh, and if their are any stage moms and dads reading this, please sit very close to the monitor and pay attention when I say this. Do not call us and try to sway our opinion, state how good your child is, or reem on us if we dont cast your child in the show and/or get the part they want. This actually hurts our opinion of your kid. I dont want a mom looking over my shoulder as I am directing. My overall advice hold back your comments and get involved. Not by telling me what to do but by making costumes or advertising.

FRESHMAN:
OK kids I know your excited. You are in highschool and you cant wait to get into a big high school musical production. Girls you are just aching to be Belle, Maria, Winnifred, or Adelaide. Guys you are just itching to be Nathan Detroit, Tony, Prince Dauntless, or Gaston *ha*. But let me tell you the cold hard truth. As a freshman you most likely wont be getting these parts. Im not saying this is always the case but 95% of the time it is. Unfortanently for girls this is more true for you than guys. Also, Im not some senior who is pissed at freshman in general. I am much older and have experience in casting many Highschool shows. But I am not telling you to be less Ambitious. As you will read in the Audition Tips That is not what I want you to do at all. As freshman you are the energy. Alot of times the freshman class is the "IT" factor in weather a show is amazing or just good. By the By, learn from your upper classman. They know the ropes and will teach you many things.

Sophmores

So you are done being a freshman and your ready for bigger parts. What i like to call the sophmore class is the "you need to be patient class". Unfortanently you are still not that high up on the food chain. But I would say your chance at getting a good part, if you are deserving, gos from 5%,as a freshman to 25% as a sophmore. I think your chance at getting into the chorus is like 80%. I think Sophmores are the foundation of the chorus. It always seems like my chorous's are stock full of sophmores. To be honest I really dont know why. Maybe its because you were great for a part but I had to give it to senior or junior who were as good as youin there audition. Dont fret quite yet your chance to be in the big roles is coming soon. Whatever you do don't go and tell someone "The only reason he/she got the role is because shes an upperclassman,". I would be lieing if I said that wasn't a part of it but its not the whole truth.

Juniors:
Alright here we go kids. You are now a part of upperclassman chain. Your chances at getting a good part, if your deserving, goes from 25% to like 75%. But I am going to give you the same advice as the sophmores. Don't go and tell someone "The only reason he/she got the role is because shes an upperclassman,". Like I said before, I would be lieing if I said that wasn't a part of it but its not the whole truth. Another tip Don't slack off. Work just as hard to earn your part as you did before. Help the younger classman with auditions. Do not think you are helping the enemy. This is a musical!!!! Being a part of a great show and being in the chorus is much more fun then being a lead in a crappy show. (remember that). That and if you help, directors notice that. If I have to choose between a talented senior who didnt help any one and a talented Junior who helped the younger class the helper is my choice.

SENIORS: I Officially like to call you my DIVA's. For some reason Senior like to walk around and think that your poop dont stink. Well im going to let you know that it does. Just like evrybody elses. BIGGEST TIP FOR SENIORS work just as hard now as when you were a freshman. Dont stroll into an audition thinking because your are a senior your in. That is not the case. You still need to deserve to get the part. Help the younger classman. For they are the ones that will take your place. Trust me no one wants to go back to there highschool and see a very degraded production. PLus A director needs leadership from you. Help that young freshman get those dance steps down. Soak in the audition because its the last you will make at your school.

AUDITION TIPS:
Well now your eyes are bleeding from reading all of this. Grab some Grape Soda and some fruit snacks and sit closer to your screens. Because its only going to get longer. First off you might of noticed I have said the word Deserving or Deserve alot. In this part of my guide you will learn what it takes to deserve or be deserving of a part.

1. COME INTO AN AUDITION PREPARED. So many people dont come in prepared its insane!!! You dont want to be that boy/girl that thought he would try a musical for a change so they will sing happy birthday, twinkle twinkle, or America the Beautiful. Choose a song, get it memorised, and then when your done memorising it get to know it so will that you will singing it in your sleep. Also alot of people forget words or show up and sing from music. BAD BAD BAD. Professionalism is impressive.

2. "BE AMBITIOUS" Freshman I told you earlier that i didnt want you to not be amibitous and here is why. Do not come into an audition without knowing what charactor your going for. You might have a great song prepared and sing it wonderfully but without a direction, directors are going to forget you. You could have one of the best voices in your school but if you tell a director "umm I just didn't know what charator I wanted to be so I thought I would let you decide" they are going to be looking at their charactor board, and remember all the girls/guys that had as good voices but auditioned for a specific charactor, and put them in the roles. Because lets face it and listen closly on this one, No matter how good you think you are there is always someone as good or better than you. Not being mean its just a fact of life. So you need to be ambitous and choose a charactor. I dont care if you audition for the chorus. At least its a direction.

3. Create your Charactor
Choose a charactor, from the show you are doing, and create it before your audition. Freshman Raises their hand, "Isnt that what rehersals are for?". Yes and no. Rehersals are for blocking and Charactor Development You should always have your charactor created before your audition. Its like taking a picture, and then developing a photo from it.

4. ITS NOT ABOUT AMAZING TALENT ITS ABOUT AMAZING AUDITIONS. DO YOUR RESEARCH
There are lots of talented high schoolers and alot of them complain when some one known as "less talented" recieves a giant roll. When this happens so many rumors fly. Everything from " Her mommy called and got her in." Or "The director always plays favorites." Or the most far fetched "I saw here making out with the director." All of that is obviously not the case. Its Not about the most talent its about the audition.
You need to have a good audition to get the part. You can be amazingly talented, but if you have a crap audition dont expect the best. You never know what a director is looking for in a charactor. Obviously if i'm lookng for a rockers voice I dont want to hear legit singing. THis isnt choir. I want to see proper techniques but singin an amazing aria is not going to get you into RENT. If you do your research then you will know how to sing for a certain charactor and what style to sing. Then then add characterization to it. Bam, you got yourself a start to an amazing audtition.

5. NO EXCUSES
So you are sick and you get to the audition. You get so worked up over the fact that you are sick and that you won't be able to give your best. This is such a debated topic. But Im going to tell you, Dont tell the Directors you are sick at an audition. We can see your sick and will most likely even ask you. "Are you not feeling well today?" I absoulutly cant stand excuses at auditions. So IF you are thinking of a good excuse, guess what.... they dont help you, they hurt you. I do not want to hear these:
"Im sorry I just dont feel well." I have already explained this.
"Im not use to doing this song with a piano." This is a preparing issue. Be prepared!
"I had a big test that I stayed up late for to study." THis goes along the whole preparing thing. If you have a test before your audition make sure to either study through out the week or move your audition to a differant day. Auditions are always at least on two differant days and if they arent you can probably schedule an audition with your director, for a differant day. Just do it ahead of time.
"My boyfriend/girlfriend broke up with me an hour ago." Im so sorry to hear that but I am sure you will find a new one. BUt this isnt going to help you get a part.
"My dog died." First off why would you tell a director that. We will think your lieing. If your not your an actor. Don't tell us because we wont believe you.
"I thought auditions were next week." LOL
"I didn't have proper time to prepare." this is a terrible excuse. A quote from MaryMag later on in the thread. "Sometimes I have 20 minutes to prepare for an audition. No whining about 5 days is allowed. Study your craft constantly and you'll have a fantastic base of knowledge about shows, songs, monologues, audition tactics, etc, that you can draw from quickly" I am in total agreement with this.
"Well I wish I didnt have to go after her she was awesome." Umm I dont even know what to say to that.
"Im sorry Im really nervous." We know everybody usually is.
Wow Im getting annoyed just writing these. Some of these may have happened but never give an excuse. Directors dont like them and it won't help you.

6. DON'T DWELL ON MISTAKES
So many kids freak out about a mistake and dwell on them for the rest of the audition. Heres a fun fact kids, Nobody can have a perfect audition. I have been auditioning for shows ever since I was 15. Weather it be a small mistake or a large one, I have had at least one in every audition situation. I bet even our more experienced auditioners on this site(like Marymag, Jazzy, Chev, Beagle, Salome, Lea salonga) dont have perfect auditions. So what do you do when you make a mistake? You laugh and move onward. Never dwell on a mistake.

7. HAVE FUN
Theatre is fun. So many shows, done by highschools, are about fun and energy. I realise auditions are stressful. But have fun with it. "Why?" may you ask. Because its much more fun to watch a person having fun at what they are doing then not. Even if its a serious scene. You can still act super sad, mad, crazy, etc... and have fun doing it.

IN GENERAL

1. Help your musical mates out.
2. Girls I am sorry but guys just have it easier. In most high schools if you are a guy, breathing, and show up to an audition you are cast.
3. For some reason its difficult for High schoolers to grasp but pay attention to the details for the auditions.
4. If you want to keep a secret to yourself dont tell anybody else in the theatre about it unless you want everybody else to know. Because A: Your in High school very few people can keep secrets. B. Your in theatre nodbody keeps secrets. Add those two togethor and your screwed.
6. Be on Time.
7. OVERALL HAVE FUN

DO ALL OF THIS AND I GUARENTEE YOUR ARE 80% AHEAD OF THE REST OF YOUR SCHOOL

Last edited by DaddyDiesel on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:28 am, edited 9 times in total.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:53 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:24 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

2. Girls I am sorry but guys just have it easier. In most high schools if you are a guy, breathing, and show up to an audition you are cast.

AAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNN.
Go ahead, my brother. Amazing post. =D>

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:42 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Excellent post. Currently being a senior at high school, I can see the truth in it. However, I'm not so sure about the parent's not swaying directors. Not to suggest to young people to bring their parents in, which is unprofessional and not usually effective, but I have it on good authority that the lead in our current musical pulled daddy dearest (a teacher at our school) in to plead her case for her. But that's just my director, who is about twenty-three times more corrupt than the usual high school drama teacher.

The Past:Interviewer #1, The Interview; Wanda, Unbeatable Harold; Mrs. Pearce, MFL; Fruma Sarah, Fiddler on the Roof
The Present: UVic Theatre Major
The Future: Crack-ho?

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Excellent post. Currently being a senior at high school, I can see the truth in it. However, I'm not so sure about the parent's not swaying directors. Not to suggest to young people to bring their parents in, which is unprofessional and not usually effective, but I have it on good authority that the lead in our current musical pulled daddy dearest (a teacher at our school) in to plead her case for her. But that's just my director, who is about twenty-three times more corrupt than the usual high school drama teacher.
A year a go I was an assistant director and vocal coach for Guys and Dolls. We ended up casting a girl as adelaide in guys and dolls. She didnt have the best voice but she had A) an amazing audition. B) the most fitting voice for adelaide. Well it happened that her dad was one of the teachers and yes he did give his two cents on how amazing his daughter was everytime I saw him in the hallways on my way to the auditorium. But I guarentee you, he didnt sway our opinion in anyway. But boy did alot of the cast think it went that way. We heard everything from, "She doesnt even have the best voice she only got the part because her dads a teacher," to "She is kind of a skank I bet you she made out with one of the directors." Im totally serious about that to. It is quite amazing at what people will say to support there cause. Now Im not sayig that this didnt happen to you because there are corrupted directors out there. But it doesnt happen as much as you think it does.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:03 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I'm sad, my Freshman year I got some crazy idea to try out for the musical, I had never really thought of theatre, so you can guess as a newbie to theatre I had no idea what I was doing I started practicing (by practicing I mean look at it twice) a song I had heard a couple days before rehearsal. So as you can guess I got to the audition and told them sorry for not having my music prepared and that was dumb for admitting that I know. But I pretty much did everything wrong like you said. But the other good part about what you said is that directors are a little more lenient for boys! I am so glad that was two years ago. I have learned so much about musical theatre. I never want to feel that stupid again.

-The Elephant Man - Ross, Bishop Walsham How & Snork a Porter
-Student Slam! 2008
-Working - Rex Winship (Boss of Company) (2007)
-Sure Thing - Billy (2007)

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:30 pm
Thanks for the tips, my audition for B&TB is next friday.
Since you helped cast, would you mind telling me what you were looking for in Babette?
Thank you.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm sad, my Freshman year I got some crazy idea to try out for the musical, I had never really thought of theatre, so you can guess as a newbie to theatre I had no idea what I was doing I started practicing (by practicing I mean look at it twice) a song I had heard a couple days before rehearsal. So as you can guess I got to the audition and told them sorry for not having my music prepared and that was dumb for admitting that I know. But I pretty much did everything wrong like you said. But the other good part about what you said is that directors are a little more lenient for boys! I am so glad that was two years ago. I have learned so much about musical theatre. I never want to feel that stupid again.
Well feel no fear. Alot of high schoolers go into auditions like that. keep on truckin dont give it up!!!!

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

My goodness, I totally went into my first auditions like that - no preparation. Never read the play or the musical, listened to the music, or practiced my song. I never got cast, either. It wasn't until I started doing research about how to audition better that I began to get chorus and lead roles and now a few paying gigs.

I second everything Daddy Diesel said, but I have to add that directors, like human beings, aren't perfect. Occasionally they are swayed by parents or give in to big donors. However, I believe these directors are the minority. And if there's one thing I've learned, the people that whine and complain that "oh the director just cast her because her parents gave the school a ton of money" are the people that are the least talented. Some may argue with this, but I stand by my belief that the more you suck, the more you can't see you suck.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:04 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thanks for the tips, my audition for B&TB is next friday.
Since you helped cast, would you mind telling me what you were looking for in Babette?
Thank you.
We didnt find to many girls who were fully prepared for this part. I think almost every girl and there gold fishes cousin tried out for Belle or Mrs. Pots. I think we had maybe five girls audition for Babbette. 2 were well prepared, A sophmore and a Junior. They had great auditions and made it to call backs. But unfortanently the softmore had problems with comic timing compared to the others and the other had an excellent accent and timing but could only act with her voice. There was a girl that originally auditioned for Belle and we had her read for babette. She made call backs. Came fully prepared for babette and was amazing. Accent, timing, and characterization were spot on. There were a few things that were not up to par but were very coachable. She ended up with Babbette. Oddly enough this girl was a freshman. So she was a part of that 5%. BUt she was very prepared for Belle when she came and in her callbacks she was amazingly prepared for a totally differant charactor. The other two girls we cast as silly girls.

We were not to overly worried about the voice for the Charactor. she does have one solo and some harmonizing. But, we were more worried about Characterization, comic timing, and Accent. If I were you I would read the script on www.simplyscripts.com. Especially the bit between babette and lumierre. If you can get a good feeling for the timing there excellent. Work on your accent, innocent yet provacative French accent. The one line in the animated movie is what your aiming for. Make sure it works for you though. This charactor has alot of body language. She will say I dont like you but her body language is telling us somthing differant. Sounds wierd but if you can get that you are on your way..

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:49 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Haha this is all good advice, but as a high schooler I feel embarassed that you had to tell us any of that.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:54 pm

Sometimes common sense is the last thing one thinks of when the audition list goes up! LOL!

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next