The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Advice for Ali? Also, Juicy Bits. 
Post Advice for Ali? Also, Juicy Bits.
(I use this site intensively for about two months each year, and always forget my login info in the other ten - so, I'm really only half-new. Maybe more. Eh.)

Anyway, here's the Point -

I just got cast as Ali Hakim, and I'm looking for some advice on the part from people who're able to give it. I'd like to throw as much into my senior musical role as I possibly can...

So, any Tips? Pointers? That sort of thing? Anything helps...

There is something that I'd like advice on, or at least some commiseration with, specifically, though. The "Persian Goodbye?" I wouldn't be adverse to stage kissing (I've done stranger things) were it not for the fact that, haha, the standard techniques for non-lip contact won't really be practical or even slightly realistic. Even that wouldn't be a problem, but...

(Here's where the general High School-ness of this forum will help)

...I haven't, you see, kissed anyone before, and I would really prefer that the first time not be at the will of a stage direction. I feel that very strongly, in fact.

So, does the Persian Goodbye really actually require kissin' as such? Or what? What exactly should I do?

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:07 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Well I got Ali way back in my freshman year, and turned out to look like the whitest Persian ever.

First, the Persian goodbye. I think it would be better for Ali to actually kiss Ado Annie, since it gives Will point to give both Annie and Gertie the "Oklahoma Hello". For our production, i kissed her arm three times. Then, I twirled her around, dipped her, and planted one on her. That happened about 3 times in the scene, in addition to two additional kisses during the scene. I was one happy freshman :wink:.

Ali is a very one-emotion character. I started him off as a happy, slick peddlar. A lot of hand gestures, I was channeling my inner Harold Hill. However, when marriage comes up, it immediately turns to comical panic, and now all his concerns turn to "My God, I have to get out of here now!" The way I performed him, when he wasn't selling things, he had a very dry humor. My director told me Comedy 101, which was to ALWAYS DELIVER THE FUNNY TO THE AUDIENCE. Especially in old fashioned shows like this. I killed every night because I dryly delivered lines like "I know I got you" to the audience. Remember most of all that this is a fantastic role and have fun with it!

Currently: Nothing!
Recently Finished: Alexander in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Jinx (u/s) in Forever Plaid

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:53 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Well if you are really averse to kissing someone on stage for your first kiss...then if you're not too embarassed haha, talk to your director about it. It is after all a highschool production and there are other ways to play the scene without having to kiss her. You could easily kiss her up the arm or something like that. Be creative...think of something that is still realistic and funny...luckily Ali and Annie's kisses are not of the romantic "must be a traditional were in love" kind of kiss...they can be goofy and creative because it is a "persian" kiss.

That's my advice...I hope it helps ya!!!!!!!

Break a leg!!!!!!

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:16 pm

I'll have the whiteness taken care of with a slightly darker shade of pancake - and I plan on getting a short hair cut and a perm. Black.

Like I said, I'm going (almost) all-out on this.

Thanks to the both of you!

Anyone else?

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:53 pm
Ali Hakim is a wonderful role. I just finished as Gertie Cummings in Oklahoma and our Ali was a very very pale redhead guy so don't worry about your whiteness. You have to decide as an actor (and talk this over with your director) if your Ali really is Persian or if he just made it up. One of my good friends and an actor I truly respect has played Ali Hakim on the semi-professional circuit three times and his favorite thing to do is change accents in each scene to show just how much of a hack Ali really is, and the fact that the other characters don't know any better.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:19 pm

Thank you!

Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:07 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Our Ali Hakim also played it as a fake Persian, as well. Since he is such a peddler he seems like he would create a whole character to keep him safe.

Our Ali's accent was very funny. And he was hilarious, because he had the most awesome deadpan delivery. I think he even broke the accent once or twice for comedic effect, I just don't remember on which lines.

As for the kiss... well, I say just do the kiss.

Or go find someone for your first kiss so you don't feel weird.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
I'll probably end up with the assumed persianality route... I might switch to the standard Oklahoma accent in the final scene with Gertie. I'll have been so utterly crushed by what-have-you that even the assumed Ali-ness isn't worth the upkeep.

As for The Kiss, ah, I don't think that I can just "go find someone." My mind doesn't work in that way, exactly, and the big issue here is that I'd like for it (the First) to, ah, mean something, ya know? I'd rather not waste a... never mind, anyway.

I'll do the thumb thing, no doubt. Stage-kiss wise, anyway.

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:21 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I dunno if I'd advise to switching to the Oklahoma accent in the last scene. It wouldn't make sense to me. Ali Hakim definetely seems like the guy who goes to a town, sells a bunch of stuff, sleeps with the girls, then runs away to another town and another name. However, since Gertie's father makes him settle down and run the store, he's forever stuck in this Persian accent. I don't think he'd talk in a country accent to Ado Annie or Will at the end, I mean it'd be pretty funny but it doesn't seem in character.

Currently: Nothing!
Recently Finished: Alexander in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Jinx (u/s) in Forever Plaid

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

We had two Ali Hakims in our Oklahoma! Because we ran for one motnh, and every role was double casted. One played it like, he was really from Persia. One played it, like he was faking it. I loved the faking one... Becuase when he says, "these garments are straight from Paris" (He added the accent of "paris") and Aunt Eller looked at him, like "what the hell" and in an Southern Accent Ali says, "PARIS." it was soooooo funny. This role is an easy one, in my opinion. He comes on as very confident, but then when he gets a gun pointed at him, he turns into something else.

West Side Story-A-rab
Forum- Hero
A Christmas Carol-Bob Crachit
Narnia-Mr. Beaver
La Cage Aux Folles-Hercule
Fiddler on the Roof-Sasha/Dancer

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:58 am
Hurr, you're right, Mr. X... that was a rather stupid idea on my part. Especially after actual thought has been applied to it.

I'm not very good at that.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:45 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

i know what you mean i just got the part of ado annie in oklahoma and i've never been kissed either ...............not to mention that all of the guys in the play are atleast 5 years older than me(i'm at a semi professional play) it's kind of creepy i'm geting kisses from ali and will.... for you i would have to say the only reason you like annie is because you wan't some but you've done it before your trying to woo her and really really don't wan't to marry her and you'll do anything to make sure you don't have to :oops: 8O

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next