The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
I've never wanted any part so badly in my life! HELP! :P 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post I've never wanted any part so badly in my life! HELP! :P
Hello! I've never posted on here before, but desperate times call for desperate measures, right? :D

I'm a 16-year-old high school junior, about 5'7" with light brown hair and blue eyes. My voice is a clear and solid mezzo belt with good range (in my opinion, ha) and I believe that I am a good actress and a reasonably good dancer. BUT--I am sort of fat. I don't think I'm ugly; I mean, I'm well-groomed and I don't mind my face, but yeah. I'm fat. :P

Well anyways, my school is doing Oklahoma! this year for the spring musical. I was Mrs. Harcourt last year when we did Anything Goes, so I'm expecting that I'll be considered for maybe Aunt Eller this year, which isn't a bad part at all, but here's the thing--

***I REALLY WANT TO BE ADO ANNIE.***
So so so SO badly. It just seems like the most fun part to play, ever. I love her songs, and they fit my range so perfectly. I know I could play this really well, but the problem is, I don't LOOK it.

So here's the question: do you think it'd be possible for me to get this part? Has anyone ever seen/done a production of Oklahoma with a chubby girl playing this role? Be honest with me; I can take it. I would do just about anything in order to get this role, so I would be eternally grateful for any advice! Also, any kind words of encouragement would be great because I am so nervous. If you reply, I'll love you forever and be your slave, or something. Hehe. :lol:

**Edited to change the format, etc, because it was starting to bother me. Same content. :D

:mrgreen:

Last edited by norayouadora on Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I've never seen a chubby girl play the role, but I'm sure a chubby girl could!

I am, as well, fat, and I don't see a problem with a chubby girl playing Annie.
I've played a couple of parts that really aren't supposed to be fat (Anita in WSS, and Adelaide in G&D), and it worked out fine. You just really have to be the character.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I think you should read the script and think about the character. I can't think of any reasons why Ado Annie couldn't be fat.

She is a girl who likes attention, who loves to flirt and likes it when the guys pay attention to her. You could imagine her, perhaps, being somewhat "easy". So why not fat?

See if there's a way for you to use it to your advantage!

My daughrer is playing the part right now with a youth theater, and its a great role. Probably the most fun character in the show. So have fun with her, and show you can play it. Be willing to go over the top with it.

Good luck.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:12 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

There is no reason Ado Annie couldn't be a little chubby. I played Ado Annie and I'm about 5'8" and when I had my heels on, I was almost taller than my Ali Hakim. It worked out just fine though. If you act the part well enough, no one will notice. Talent is more important than what you look like anyway. Good luck :)

Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:38 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Plus (I'm suprised no one brought this up) <-->when girls are a bit heavier, their boobs tend to be larger, and I think that could REALLY go for Ado Annie because it would be a big explanation as to why these guys are going for her

Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:13 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I've never done Oklahoma but I've seen it a few times and the second time I saw it the girl that was playing Ado Annie was a little chubby. So I don't see why Ado Annie couldn't be.

Brigitta "TSOM"
Alice "SBFSB"
Rizzo "Grease"
Silly Girl #1, Napkin/Plate "BATB"
Metamorphoses "Alcyone"

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:53 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wierd. My school did Anything Goes last year and Oklahoma this year... But you can't be in my school because Mrs. Hartcourt was a senior and thus wasn't in Oklahoma this year, as she graduated. But I still think thats really wierd.

I'm sorry you didn't get the role, btw. But hey, featured dancer is good. A lot of people with lesser parts would kill just to have that one. We were all rooting for ya. :wink:

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wierd. My school did Anything Goes last year and Oklahoma this year... But you can't be in my school because Mrs. Hartcourt was a senior and thus wasn't in Oklahoma this year, as she graduated. But I still think thats really wierd.

Ha. Yeah, that is weird... I guess our directors have very similar taste? :D But it couldn't've been me, I played Mrs. Harcourt as a sophomore. Interesting, though. Is your school doing Fiddler on the Roof next year? :wink:

Alonza0 wrote:
I'm sorry you didn't get the role, btw. But hey, featured dancer is good. A lot of people with lesser parts would kill just to have that one. We were all rooting for ya. :wink:

Hey, thanks. It was sort of a strange production... The girl who ended up getting Ado was a very talented senior who was very active in choir, but had never auditioned for the school musical before. She very good at the part, and I'm glad that she auditioned this year, but it sort of threw me off. When I was reviewing our the talent pool at my school, and trying to pre-cast the show as I would have it (I always do that, lol) it never occurred to me that she would audition. It was a similar situation with the girl who ended up getting Gertie, and was probably their second choice for Ado--If I had known that these two girls were going to audition this year, I probably wouldn't have thought I had as good a chance of getting the part. A lot of people who had gotten bigger roles in Anything Goes ended up in the chorus roles for this show, so I was actually pretty lucky to get to be a dancer. :D

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Holy cow! I'm surprised you're not me!!! We are doing that as our school musical this year also. I also have the same problem and this is the part that I have always wanted. I want to be Ado Annie sooooo bad and my second choice is Aunt Eller. I have a really nice wide-ranged voice. I have seen some heavier girls play her, so I'm really not that worried, plus- the people that are casting ours really don't care I don't think.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:25 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Also, I just saw Oklahoma at Chattahoochee High School. Did you happen to be in that one?

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:27 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

plus- the people that are casting ours really don't care I don't think.

Aah, you're lucky. Our director is incredibly talented and I love her to pieces, but she tends to lend a lot of importance to whether or not her actors "look" the parts thet portray. Of course, I know I didn't get the part because of lesser talent (I'm not making excuses), but being chubby sure didn't help me. Lol. :P

SharpenedCrayons wrote:
Also, I just saw Oklahoma at Chattahoochee High School. Did you happen to be in that one?

Nope. I'm in Ohio... I have no idea where Chattahoochee is, but I wish I did. What a name. :D

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Ideally, I think Ado should be a bit larger as it suggests in the script from her line ; no one payed me no mind up until last year as i was scrawny as a beanpole, but now ive rounded up a little and now fellers start acting different to me ;)

I think they prefer a curvier girl in the role, as I auditioned for Oklahoma and they said that my voice suited her character well, and my acting was good, but physically i was too skinny and too young.
Sucks haha.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next