The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Vocal Ranges 

Post Vocal Ranges
Several of the vocal ranges listed on the MTI website for "Beauty and the Beast" are not accurate. A lot of it is due to the fact that in choral parts, each character is specifically assigned which line to sing, but some of it is just solo stuff that they've apparently missed. I've gone through the licensed score, and these are the ranges as they actually appear there.

Note, however, that the terms like soprano and baritone are just my own judgements of what would be best, most comfortable, etc., but are not necessarily the be-all and end-all, since most roles in the show are pretty rangey. Also, many of these notes are hit chorally, as I've said, so bear in mind that they aren't necessarily all belted out all by oneself.

I've gotten more in-depth on some of them to clarify what is required. Know that the choral notes I'll be mentioning a lot may or may not be flexible depending on your production. Your MD may be a stickler to assign stuff as written, or they may just break into SATB and have you do what's comfortable. But be aware that you may have to do it.

BELLE: Mezzo (Low, low E [4 spaces below staff] to High F)
This is probably the rangiest part in the show. Usually she doesn't need anything lower than an A, but the low G slips in at the beginning of "Home," and the naughty E is in "A Change in Me" (which isn't on the CD). She's in the upper midrange quite a bit, so make sure you have solid D's and E's. The F's are rare but also need to be solid ("There must be more than this provincial life" and "You're all I've got, no matter what").

BEAST: Baritone (Low A to High A-flat)
The common misconception is that he only goes to a high F. Not true. His A-flat occurs in the little "If I Can't Love Her" reprise between he and Belle after the transformation ("One thing forever true: I love you"). It's only once and doesn't have to be belted, but be aware. Otherwise, he's pretty straight-across baritone.

MAURICE: Baritone (Low B-flat to High D-flat)
This shouldn't be too challenging of a range. Maurice only sings in two songs, "No Matter What" and the reprise of the same name, and they're both very general midrange.

LUMIERE: Tenor/Baritone (Low F-sharp to High F-sharp)
Know that Lumiere speak-sings about half of his singing. The little X'd notes are all over the score in his parts. He probably has the most singing of any of the enchanted objects, but most of it is actually character-voiced. Predominately midrange, but he does reach both up and down quite a bit.

COGSWORTH: Tenor/Baritone (Low F-sharp to High G)
Everyone's favorite clock doesn't sing much solo. His one verse in "Human Again" is upper-midrage, going from about low D to high E. Chorally, he's also written in as having both extremes of his range. Not a difficult part to sing by any means, just rangey.

MRS. POTTS: Mezzo (Low F-sharp to High G)
Girlfriend goes looooowwwww. The title song is pitched very low, requiring her low F-sharp and low G all the time. But if you're a really deep alto, you may also have trouble, as she needs a solid E pretty often ("Clean it up, we want the company impressed") and even a high G ("Be our guest, be our guest, be our guest" in that same verse), although you could probably get around this if you had to. It's between her and Belle as to who is rangiest, and it's very close. Mrs. Potts needs to be versatile.

WARDROBE: Mezzo (Low F-sharp to High G)
Her only solo is the same verse as Cogsworth but about one whole step lower. Her F-sharp is the same choral one as his, and her high G occurs when she's surprising people during the castle attack. In theory, it could probably be anything shrill and loud and operatic, but a G is written, so be aware of it.

BABETTE: Soprano (Low F-sharp to Top C)
Babette really doesn't sing much solo. She has one line ("Alert the dustpail and broom") which is middle C and just above. But she has a few obligattos that need top C's, and whenever there's one written chorally, she's assigned to it. Her low F-sharp is the same as Cogsie and Wardie's.

CHIP: Soprano (Low F-sharp to High G)
Basic cute little boy soprano. Pretty much midrange, but there is a high G in there, and one guess where the low F-sharp comes in.

GASTON: Baritone (Low A to High F)
This is rangey too. You need to be powerful throughout the whole range. No dainty tenor low A, and likewise no raspy bass high F. Very rich tone on everything.

LE FOU: Tenor/Baritone (Low B to High G)
I'm inclined to say tenor because this jumps all over E, F and G. But I hate being told it's tenor when there's actually a B to get down to, so be aware of that. Of course, you'll likely be expected to do it character voice, so it doesn't have to be hardcore technical note-hitting by any means.

M. D'ARQUE: Tenor (Low D to High A)
No surprises here. Straight across the table low D to high A. But this might be character voice too, depending on the production. Again, the more extreme notes are sung chorally.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:03 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Yay, Beagle, for bringing this back! I was afraid it had disappeared forever! Indeed a very helpful tool for actors. As a fellow Cogsworth, I commend you.

Previous Roles
Herr Schultz- Cabaret
Thenardier- Les Miserables
Caiaphas- Jesus Christ Superstar
Cogsworth- Beauty and the Beast
Judge Turpin- Sweeney Todd[/i]

Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Ah Cogsworths, no fun. Lumiere’s have more fun. :D Lol. Good job! I agree it is quite misleading. This is a wonderful source for all actors. I am really happy our music director is letting me sing some of what is marked speak and speak some of what is marked sing. Any who way to go!!!

Drake- "Honk"
Schroeder- "You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown"
Jafar- "Aladdin Jr."

Current role:
Lumiere- "Beauty and the Beast"

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:19 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

my school is currently doing a production of batb, i'm a spoon :)
i concidered trying out for chip but in my audition packet it said he was a tenor or an alto i can't remember which
so i didnt try out for him because i am a soprano
i'm just happy i made the show though
around 100 people tried out and they cut about 40 of them
i'm also one of seven freshman, so it's quite an accomplishment :)

Last edited by broadwaybaby124 on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:22 am
Profile WWW

As a fellow Cogsworth, I commend you.

Cogsworth is bomb. 8)

Quote:
Ah Cogsworths, no fun. Lumiere’s have more fun. Lol. Good job! I agree it is quite misleading. This is a wonderful source for all actors. I am really happy our music director is letting me sing some of what is marked speak and speak some of what is marked sing.

lol, yeah the speak-marked music kind of takes a lot of the fun out of the songs, it's great that you'll get to sing it instead. HOWEVER, Cogsworth is way cooler and way hotter than Lumiere. *as LumBabsFan throws a feather duster in outrage*

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:16 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I would NEVER throw a feather duster; they're too dainty and girly! I'd hurt it! =)

www.Peter-Flynn.com
Faith Kelter, LumBabsFan, Webmaster.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I'm not very good at all of this musical note stuff, and I would just like Beagle (or whoever) to clear up what "low" means. For example, is the low F just below middle C, or two octaves below middle C?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I don't need any information right away, I would just like to know for my own knowledge. :)

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:55 pm

Obviously the octave depends on whether it's a man or woman, but this is the range I would consider "bottom E" to "top C." "Low F" is the next note above bottom E.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:42 pm

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:04 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Does anywhere have a link to any recording of 'A Change in Me'? I'm a soprano but can hit that low, low E... however, I have never been able to see the Broadway show and would like to know what the song sounds like. Thanks if you can help XD

Thu May 04, 2006 3:46 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

is High F considered F6 on a piano? I'm not really sure what a high F is, because I can't remember Belle ever singing higher than Christine Daae in POTO, her last E in the title song is apparently an E6 and I've heard it called a High E. I'm not sure, someone please clarify that.

Thank you!

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:33 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

In responce to the question about "A Change In Me" just go to www.youtube.com and type in A change in me. There are a million recordings of it by other people.[/quote]

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next