The better part poll 

Tommy or Jeff
Tommy 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
Jeff 64%  64%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 22

The better part poll 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

The answer is obviously Charlie Dalrymple.

He's got the two best songs in the show - I'll Go Home With Bonnie Jean and Come To Me, Bend To Me.

Since when was that his 2nd name!? Ive always known him as Charlie Cameron, dont know about anyone else? But i agree he does get 2 of the best songs in the show. x

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

He's always been Dalrymple, that's what his name is in the original script.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I didn't like the Jeff in my school. Too Monotoned. but I like that part in general because he has really funny lines.

Lady Rowena - 1st Lady in waiting (OUAM)
June Stanley (The man who came to dinner)
Chorus (Grease)
---- Current Parts ----
1.) Joice Heth (Barnum)

Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
wtf production did you see that they changed charlies last name? thats a stupid last name for him. lol

Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I love the character Jeff if played right. He is so sarcastic which would make him very funny to play. Unfortunetly I would never get to play either Jeff or Tommy unless they do a girls version. :D

Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:42 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

wtf production did you see that they changed charlies last name? thats a stupid last name for him. lol

They changed his last name in the movie...but I don't think it was Cameron there either lol.

And I agree with you earlier about Jeff being such a well written character. I love all the little sarcastic bits. He's the much needed bit of darker humor to a bit of a fluffy show at points. And I love him with Meg. Great scenes.

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:34 pm

Jeff is definately funnier, but I don't know if I would consider him a MUSICAL comedy character, as he doesn't sing at all...so i chose Tommy even though the character is a bit weak...

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:10 pm

apart from ther songs, Charlie is bornig. Jeff is the best written and meatiest role in the piece.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:54 am
Profile WWW

Salome wrote:

They changed his last name in the movie...but I don't think it was Cameron there either lol.

And I agree with you earlier about Jeff being such a well written character. I love all the little sarcastic bits. He's the much needed bit of darker humor to a bit of a fluffy show at points. And I love him with Meg. Great scenes.

Charlie's last name is still Dalrymple in the film. they changed Fiona and Jeannie's last name though. from McClaren to Campbell.

Lerner wrote the role of Jeannie as a tribute to choreographer Jean Dalrymple. Jean McClaren marries Charlie Dalrymple and thus becoems Jean Dalrymple.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:42 am
Profile WWW

When I did it in 2002, Charlie's full name was, and I will quote a line in the script, "...Charles MacPherson Dalyrimple..."

Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:40 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

After auditioning for both parts then landing with Jeff in a recent production I think it is definitely a difficult decision.

I think I would have to go with Jeff as his life is changed more during the storyline and his ending is the more complex. This is also alongside the fact that he is a comical character, which everyone loves to play.

When looking at and playing characters I always look deeply into character development both in the form of back-story as well as the transition of the character during and after the scripted story.

From my point of view, the major turning point in Jeff's life is killing someone. Before this he liked his alcohol, but I see him as not being a druken wreck. I see him having friends (even if its only a few) and he gets by in life only taking things he sees and understands.

During the show he's so laid back and sarcastic that he gets laid even without really wanting to. I see him as just letting her "get on with it".

When it comes to the scene where he admits to killing Harry he is confused and is more trying to convince himself that its all a dream than he is Tommy. During this seen all the humour and sarcasm is drawn out from him as he admits the truth. This really shows how much this has affected him.

Then in the bar scene he is described as being a drunkard for the last few months. I don't think before he went to the village he would have regularly got in this state and the drinking is him trying to block out/cover up his experience in Brigadoon. Jane compliments this idea by saying that Jeff "has been particularly difficult" the last couple of months. I see Jane as not totally liking him before the Brigadoon experience but now that Jeff has changed she dislikes him even more.

The whole Brigadoon experience for Jeff is summed up by his last line: "I got lost around here once." - which works on all the levels, geographically, emotionally and physically (drink).

I think that Jeff is definetely the more complex character and due to not being the main lead he has more unknown sub-story.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:28 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next