The Resource For Musicals

Brigadoon Forum

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Reprises 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Reprises
How were the Reprises done in your production? The company that I'm doing the show with is VERY VERY low budget, so how can we make these work without looking like dorks? I was thinking something with dried ice... any suggestions?

Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:03 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

In our version, the bar scene happened on the floor in front of the stage (because our apron was taken up by an awesome-looking grotto). Our reprises happened behind the scrim; Charlie and Jean were together on one side of the stage and Fiona was on the other. The light was only on them while they were singing, otherwise it was completely dark on the stage. Does that make any sense whatsoever?

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:28 pm
Profile WWW

But, uhhh.... I'm talking really low budget, here. It's my jr high. We rented a theatre, as in blank stage. Our set will pretty much be the bridge. For the bar, it will be pretty much the same as what ShadowInTheWing's description: completely dark stage, except for the front. So what else could I possibly do?

Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Dry ice would be good. We used that, although i did nearly choke singing on the bridge lol. Just have Fiona standing on the bridge at the opposite end of the stage to the bar with Tommy looking across at her. Have the lights fade in and out when ever she sings making it seems like she is fading away. xx

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:53 pm
Profile WWW

Dry ice would be good. We used that, although i did nearly choke singing on the bridge lol. Just have Fiona standing on the bridge at the opposite end of the stage to the bar with Tommy looking across at her. Have the lights fade in and out when ever she sings making it seems like she is fading away. xx

I think that's what we'll end up doing.

One random question for Cazzy Mcsnazzy:

From reading your signature, I've gathered that you're a girl. But you played Prince Phillip???!!! :? Awkward...... :P

Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:27 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

In our production, the bar scene was in front of the scrim and over on the right of the stage. In behind the scrim, a spot slanted toward the ceiling corner was placed. Each time a reprise would occur, the person singing the reprise would step into the area that would be lit up by the light and then once it was done, light goes off, and next person steps in. Really affective.

Last shows:
Godspell, "Day by Day" & "By My Side"
Lisa, Quilters a musical [wonderful show!]

Favorite Role:
Meg Brockie, Brigadoon

Allstar prop:
Meg Brockie's rocking chair, Brigadoon

Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:16 pm
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Since the reprises came up (sorry for the mini-hijack), this has actually been bothering me for a while.
Tommy hears Fiona singing "Come to Me, Bend to Me," when neither of them actually heard Charlie sing it in the first place, and therefore neither of them would know.
Then he hears Charlie singing "Go Home with Bonnie Jean (or any variation a given Charlie may come up with)," which, again, he never heard in the first place. Yes, in the movie he did, but in the script for the stage version, the directions are clear: "Fiona moves to exit UR and Tommy follows," before "Go Home With Bonnie Jean" starts.
Now, I get the whole magical, suspension of disbelief thing- but I cannot believe that Tommy can hear reprises in his head of songs he has never heard in the first place. /rant. Thanks for listening.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I think its more for the audience than for Tommy to remember Brigadoon. Now that you mention it... it does seem odd that there are reprises to which he never heard. But thats the only thing I can think of

Last shows:
Godspell, "Day by Day" & "By My Side"
Lisa, Quilters a musical [wonderful show!]

Favorite Role:
Meg Brockie, Brigadoon

Allstar prop:
Meg Brockie's rocking chair, Brigadoon

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:51 pm
Profile YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Haha! :) It was a pantomime. I was principle boy and went by the name of prince phillip. I got to wear some lovely short shorts! x

Mon May 08, 2006 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

For the reprises, in the auditorium we are lucky enough to have "portholes" above the stage. So for some Charlie and Jean were up in one porthole when he sang the Bonnie Jean Reprise and Fiona was in the other porthole singing her reprise, while the bar scene was set down onstage in front of a scrim. However for the From This Day On Reprise, the bridge set was still behind the scrim and the lights came up on it and Fiona was there singing.

I hope that makes sense.

Tue May 09, 2006 9:44 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I should also add that during this, the lights went down on the bar scene, except for a soft red glow, and all involved in the new york part, except for Tommy froze and a spotlight went to the porthole.

Tue May 09, 2006 9:46 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

We are doing Brigadoon in January and the way we are doing it is the bar is DSR coming in from the wings and we are having a backlit scrim. Most theatres should have a scrim installed that they can fly for no extra charge.

Future: Spring Awakening?

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next