The Resource For Musicals

Brigadoon Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Auditions!!! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Auditions!!!
My high school is doing Brigadoon this year as our musical and auditions are next week :?
I think I'm going to go for either Tommy or Charlie. I'm 5'8"ish, brown hair. I'm technically a tenor but can sing mid-high baritone.
I have 3 songs in mind for what I want to sing. They gave the tenors a part of "Come to Me Bend, To Me". I was also thinking of maybe singing "Almost Like Being In Love" but they gave that to the sopranos so I'm not sure if I want to go there. Or I was thinking of singing "On the Street Where You Live from My Fair Lady.
If anyone can tell me what they think or if they have any other suggestions that would be great. Thanks so much!

Current Productions:
Charlie in Brigadoon

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:18 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

"On the street where you live" would be a good choice considering you don't exactly want to sing a song that is tied to a particular character because if the judges or director hear you sing it, they might not be able to see you in a part other than what you are auditioning for and.. confuse ensues and.. *BOOM* world explodes. lol Just kidding there. It's better to sing something not from the musical and this is a great option for both Tommy and Charlie's characters, personalities, and situations.

Last shows:
Godspell, "Day by Day" & "By My Side"
Lisa, Quilters a musical [wonderful show!]

Favorite Role:
Meg Brockie, Brigadoon

Allstar prop:
Meg Brockie's rocking chair, Brigadoon

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Auditions!!!
Broadwayboy89 wrote:
My high school is doing Brigadoon this year as our musical and auditions are next week :?
I think I'm going to go for either Tommy or Charlie. I'm 5'8"ish, brown hair. I'm technically a tenor but can sing mid-high baritone.
I have 3 songs in mind for what I want to sing. They gave the tenors a part of "Come to Me Bend, To Me". I was also thinking of maybe singing "Almost Like Being In Love" but they gave that to the sopranos so I'm not sure if I want to go there. Or I was thinking of singing "On the Street Where You Live from My Fair Lady.
If anyone can tell me what they think or if they have any other suggestions that would be great. Thanks so much!

Well, Charlie needs to be a stronger dancer than Tommy, and also needs the Scottish accent (although I don't know if a high school production would worry about the accent). Tommy's the lead (duh, I'm sure everyone knew that), but his character is rather weak. An actor has to work exceptionally hard to make Tommy a believable and likeable character. Charlie needs be be a bit boyish, a little mischevious, and a whole lot of fun. He doesn't get much character either, but he's more likeable (in my opinion).

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:00 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

My high school did the accent. It was a lot of fun.. hopefully yours will too so that people won't forget that you are supposed to be in Scotland!

Last shows:

Favorite Role:
Meg Brockie, Brigadoon

Allstar prop:

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:15 pm
Profile YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Our high school did the accent too. Most of us dropped it in the solo music, because it was difficult to understand, but the lines were all delivered with Scottish accents (and we had tons of fun with it!)

Currently: Madame Thenardier : Les Mis!
Past roles-
'Momma' Mae Peterson : Bye Bye Birdie
Sally : You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown [favorite show to act in]
Meg Brockie : Brigadoon [favorite role to play]

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Even some of the most professional casts will drop the accent for the solos, or seriously decrease it (if that makes sense). They say the lines in the strong, stereotypical burr, with only small traces of rolled r's in the songs, just so the audience remembers they are the same person. It used to amuse me, sitting backstage, listening to someone go from speaking to solo. It was such a change that it was sometimes hard to tell who was who. Quite amusing.

Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:52 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thank you so much for all of your advice.
I ended up auditioning with "Come to Me, Bend to Me." I got a callback and I sang it again and also sang "There But For You Go I." And I read for Tommy and Harry. I think I did o.k. We don't find out until Tuesday though. :-(
Thanks for all of your advice!

Current Productions:
Charlie in Brigadoon

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:41 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm soo happy! Does anyone have any advice on the character? And I've heard that it is a big dance part. Is that true?

Current Productions:
Charlie in Brigadoon

Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:34 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

He can be if the director really wants it to be. Ours wasn't the dancer type. He did do the swordfight dance for the wedding. It was really watered down and hardly anything at all... difficult like you would expect. He also did a little in "Home with Bonnie Jean" But like before, not much. This time it was because he was singing with it. More difficult dancing was left up to the chorus in the background. The character is completely in love. He would die for Jean and when Harry grabs her and kisses her.. obviously.. he's mad. He has to find Harry before Harry leaves Brigadoon which breaks the spell and they all fade away forever. He's a lady's man too and before "Home with Bonnie Jean" you'll see him going around kissing all the ladies' hands and things. He's a pretty simple character.

Last shows:

Favorite Role:
Meg Brockie, Brigadoon

Allstar prop:

Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:22 pm
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

You can't take Charlie too seriously. Until Harry kisses Jean, he's a pretty laid back character. He's kind of hard to describe, he's just fun. He's completely in love with Jean and that's obviously changed him from the wife-stealing lad he was. He can have very basic dance cheoreography, or it can be difficult. It depends on what the director's looking for and what kind of talent the actor has. The sword dance is pretty essential, and can look pretty bad if it's not done well, but everything else can be cut out. Charlie is just a whole lot of fun. He's not the serious part like Tommy, or the comical one like Jeff, but with a talented actor, he is a great character, who is very easy to care about. After Harry dies, Charlie feels responsible for it, and that has to come across as sorrow- not self pity. He has some cute lines that get a laugh, and he needs to be played with a massive abundance of energy. I think this show, but especially Charlie, really relies on pure energy and enthusiasm to work.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]