The Resource For Musicals

Evita Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
"If not, how could he love me?" 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post "If not, how could he love me?"
This is what Eva (Duarte) Peron says in "A New Argentina."

My question is, did Peron REALLY love Eva? I mean, the man wasn't stupid. He could see the hold she had on the crowds. He knew she was an actress, and thus gave her a stage.

Was he using her to get the Presidentcy of Argentina?

Did they love each other? Some people say "yes" Some people say "no."

Let's discuss this.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:24 am
Profile YIM WWW
Okay, first of all I'm only talking about the musical here, not historical personalities which I honestly know less than nothing about.

I honestly don't think he loved her at first. He loved the idea of having her, and the idea of what she could do for him. However, I think he grew to love her, based on the way that he takes care of her during "You Must Love Me". However, I wouldn't say he exactly loved her the way a husband should love a wife, but more the way one loves a prized possession. You see, I love my laptop computer. Where would I be without it? Without it to type of my class work on, I'd fail my classes. Without it to keep in touch with my friends on, I'd feelvery disconnected from everyone who is important to me. If it were "sick" (you know, had a virus, or an adware attack) I would certainly take care of it very carefully. However, does this mean that I love my laptop computer the way a husband ought to love his wife? Goodness know! I think Peron grew affectionate towards Eva out of his need for her.

Chi

Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:31 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Gah... I wasn't logged in when I posted that.

Chi

Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:32 pm
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Evita 4 Peron
Eva Peron in Evita wrote:
If not, how could he love me?

jcstar wrote:
My question is, did Peron REALLY love Eva? I mean, the man wasn't stupid. He could see the hold she had on the crowds. He knew she was an actress, and thus gave her a stage. Was he using her to get the Presidentcy of Argentina? Did they love each other?

Chi wrote:
Okay, first of all I'm only talking about the musical here, not historical personalities which I honestly know less than nothing about. I honestly don't think he loved her at first. He loved the idea of having her, and the idea of what she could do for him. However, I think he grew to love her, based on the way that he takes care of her during "You Must Love Me". However, I wouldn't say he exactly loved her the way a husband should love a wife, but more the way one loves a prized possession.... I think Peron grew affectionate towards Eva out of his need for her.

Who knows for certain how the real Juan Peron felt about the real Eva? I think that Chi has it pretty spot on in her (?) interpretation of the musical film. However, I think the stage show, which doesn't include "You Must Love Me", plays slightly differently and I think that the point is made a little more strongly on stage that Peron has come to consider Eva not only as a possession, but as a human being, woman and a wife. I think this is clearly depicted in the the extended musical scene ("Dice Are Rolling") between the two characters that precedes the "Final Broadcast":

Juan Peron in Evita wrote:
Your little body's slowly breaking down.
You're losing speed, you're losing strength - not style.
That goes on flourishing forever,
But your eyes, your smile
Do not have the sparkle of your fantastic past.
If you climb one more mountain it could be your last....

This is not a case of a sympathetic word in the gossip column
Because you've got a cold!
I'm trying to point out that you might die!

.... I do not need a final sacrifice.

Of course there is a political concern that lies contextually beneath everything that Peron and Eva say to each other - but that is a given circumstance that is there throughout their relationship. But I think that the last line that I quoted above, which Peron does not sing in the film, really creates a human perspective of their relationship.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun May 16, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Ok I have thought about this for a day or two. I think when he first met her he was so struck and taken with her. Was it love? Well that will depend on if you believe in love at first sight. I think his lust for her (emotional and physical) was the beginning factor. i think he ended up thinking of her as his equal, which during that time and place was very "modern." Peron was a good leader but I think he knew that Eva was the leader he could never be. I think he had admiration, respect and concern for her, and honestly I do think he did love her. That is my opinion.
Quote:
I do not need a final sacrifice
love this quote
I think if he had no love for her, he would be like "Get up fool, brush it off!" He is deeply concerned for her well being. He is concerned for her and her only, not his reign, not what it will do for him. Just for her. Was it actual marriage love-we will never know. I personally believe he did.

Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:44 pm
Post test
test

Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:16 am

Post Love and loving
belleboi80 wrote:
Was it actual marriage love - we will never know.

Well, of course, there is the question of what qualifies as "marriage love". I think that some aspects of love that are nurtured in long-term relationships and marriages today is very different to the kind of love that existed in earlier decades. I think there is far more focus on finding the unique love that makes a couple's relationship work, as there are so many different forces acting on individuals today. These different ways of loving are still "love", just not necessarily the kind of traditional love that is perpetuated in the mass media.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun May 16, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In one biography I read about Eva, she was on he deathbed going in and out of sleep. One time, she opened her eyes, and didn't see Peron with her. He was playing with their dogs and was laughing and quite happy and content.

She called to him. When he came to her bedside, she said "Everyone mourns for me except you."

The book makes no mention of a retort form Peron.

Yet, in the film Evita, Peron (John Pryce) looks puzzeld and saddened by Eva's (Madonna) lament.

Then, at the funeral, Che and Peron meet for the first time. Che talks about Eva betraying her people (including himself), and kises the coffin. Peron has a look on his face as if to say "You sonofabitch!"

I like all the points that people have brought up, though.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:21 am
Profile YIM WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I think that some aspects of love that are nurtured in long-term relationships and marriages today is very different to the kind of love that existed in earlier decades

do you think love today turns more to acceptance and respect than actual "love"

Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:26 pm

Post Considering...
belleboi80 wrote:
do you think love today turns more to acceptance and respect than actual "love"

I'm not sure if that's how I'd phrase it. I think people get less caught up in the romance of it all today even though that kind of ideal love is still very much perpetuated through the mass media and I think that some people do still hold it up as some kind of ideal in the back of their minds. But I think that today, people are more willing to see the problems both in themselves and in their partners. So, yes, I do think that acceptance and respect play a large role. And if you're really lucky, then you get someone who wants to work through them and go with you on the journey.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun May 16, 2010 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I think people get less caught up in the romance of it all today

Yes and I think this can be a problem. Personally, I look for the romance the zing! so to say. But you are right after a while, it fades and what then? Yes I think people today are more willing to admit their faults and try to work it out, where as in the past, people would be more willing to stay in crappy marriages. However, the divorce rate is so much higher these days, so I suppose you oculd say, now people are more willing to announce theri problems, but atleast tehy are more likely to get out.

Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:14 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

The real Juan Peron forced Eva to take drugs that made her health deteriorate quicker, yet made her body look healthier, so that she could continue to help "the cause."

I don't think he loved her at all. He was a very sick man with a wandering eye for prepubescent boys and girls.

Argentine Swine if you will. .

Sm**chies!

Jacob.

Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:57 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next