Tommy or Jeff
Tommy 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
Jeff 64%  64%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 22

The better part poll 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post The better part poll
Which do you think is the better part in Brigadoon, Tommy Albright or Jeff Douglas? Tommy's got great songs (Almost Like Being in Love, From this Day On, etc) but Jeff has the best lines. I might be biased because I played Jeff, but I think he's a blast to play.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:31 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

If I were to choose between the two, I would choose to be jeff. Like you said, he does have the better lines. I would hate to play the old cliche of falling in love and then deciding you leave, but oh wait, I'm back because I truly love you kind of thing. Jeff has awesome lines, and he's a drunk.. what's not to love. Personally, I like to be the comedic character in shows, but it's nice to portray a dramatic character aswell. It depends upon the person.

Last shows:
Godspell, "Day by Day" & "By My Side"
Lisa, Quilters a musical [wonderful show!]

Favorite Role:
Meg Brockie, Brigadoon

Allstar prop:
Meg Brockie's rocking chair, Brigadoon

Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:19 pm
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I wa watching a rehearsal yesterday, and some of Tommy and Fiona's scenes (especially the last ones) had me close to tears, but it seemed everytime Jeff opened his mouth, I would burst out laughing. I hadn't expected so much humor in the show, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Oh god i dont know! Thats a hard 1! If jeff had a song then i would probs say him but he doesnt sing anything! I love all Tommys songs but my favourite part of the show is when jeff is answering his own questions in the bar, its sssooo funny. Not so funny when your trying to keep a straight face during the reprises! lol I cant decide. xxx

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

When I was in the show, they made "Go Home With Bonnie Jean" like the movie version, the actor playing Tommy and I sang parts of one of the verses and then went into a duet soft-shoe. The audience loved it, but looking back, I wished that the director hadn't added it in since IMO the reason Jeff has no songs is that he refuses to believe that Brigadoon exists and that includes participating in singing and dancing.

All the musical numbers are in Brigadoon except when Tommy is singing the reprises in the bar and he is back in Brigadoon for a second there I like to think. I then made a decision that people only break into song in the town of Brigadoon, adding to the surreal effect. Therefore, Tommy quickly takes to singing because he believes in the town while Jeff never sings for the opposite reason.

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:27 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

my favourite part of the show is when jeff is answering his own questions in the bar, its sssooo funny. Not so funny when your trying to keep a straight face during the reprises! lol I cant decide. xxx

Man, I love that scene, absolutely hyterical. But I suppose that one requires a good Jeff, a bad actor could completely destroy that scene. And I love Jeff when Meg sings "Love of My Life," he's just priceless.

And I never really thought of the song thing, but that seems to be true. Although, the production I'm working on has a very talented singer as Jeff so he tends to sing along with the chorus (notably during the wedding scenes) but I don't think he's supposed to. I get these chills whever the chorus sings together, it just sounds so powerful, the one song that really gets me is "The Chase" just listening to all the men as they run about, it's awesome.

:? Opps, got a little off topic there. Sorry.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:32 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Jeff. hands down. one of the best written roles in musical comedy. its a tour de force for any actor.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Jeff. hands down. one of the best written roles in musical comedy. its a tour de force for any actor.

I don't know how I feel about Jeff. I agree that he's comical, but he's also just SO DARK. I think he makes Brigadoon a lot heavier a show. Maybe it's just me, but I get confused with Jeff. He's got villain qualities, but he does have some funny lines. Of course, I've only seen the movie. Is he just as dark in the staged version?

The only thing worth loving is an actress.
~Oscar Wilde

Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:59 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

"Villian qualities"?! Wow, if he's as dark as you make him seem, then the movie must have absolutely butchered the stage version. Jeff is far from villianous; I think his charm lies in how laid back he is. He really doen't care about anything at all, just kind of goes with the flow of whatever's going on. He's cute, and he's charming, without any darkness in him at all (that I can see).
He almost seems like a write off throughout the show, he is litterally just the side-kick, who gets plenty of laughs.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I think Jeff is a fascinating character not because of what he does in the play, but the darker prospects of what will happen to him after it. Jeff is a confirmed alcoholic and an avowed bachelor. He is anti-social and curmudgeonly with Tommy perhaps being is only true friend. He stumbles upon Brigadoon and inadvertently kills a man. This drives him to believe it is all a fantasy and convinces Tommy the same.
At the end of the play Brigadoon reappears. Tommy leaves for it, but Jeff cannot. This leaves him alone with the realization that he did actually kill a man. Additionally, he lost his only friend and a possible love. All that he is left with is despair and alcohol. So what will become of him.

It's a very sad fate if you think about it. In the 50's when this play was written, alcoholism was laughed off as comical. Fifty years later we know a little better. I took the role for the very last moment, when Jeff is alone watching Tommy leave. Every fiber of his being tells him to follow, but he cannot. He laughs at the end and waves goodbye, but it is hollow at best. He will live out his life wondering if he made the right choice.

I know I'm reading a lot into this but as I said, I did play the role and did my work on it. The director and I talked a great deal on the fate of Jeff and how that last moment should be played. We certainly didn't want to end the play on a sour note, but we split the difference between 1950 and 2000 and made it a bittersweet moment. The audience still loved Jeff and found him hysterical, but maybe thought about him later on in a different context.

So, my 9 cents into the matter.

Mike

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:01 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Wow, I never thought about it like that. I always just saw the humor in him, and his references to alcohol are funny, and it's sometimes hard to get past that and see that he really has a problem. Throughout the entire show, he's so easy to laugh at and not take seriously, that I think most people do. The only time he seemed real (to me, at least) was one of his last lines: "It didn't work that way for me. It's so much like a dream to me that I'd have to work hard to convince myself it happened at all." There's something about that line, and how our Jeff played it, that made him seem so human and vulnerable. I think that's the one line that grounds him, that says he's not just the one-dimensional sidekick (which he really is through much of the show). Unfortunately, being backstage, I've never actually seen how that last moment looks onstage, I can only hear the dialogue. Now I can kind of understand what a sad moment it would be for him.
Of course, I alsways find it hard to feel sorry for him; early on in our run a bunch of us decided that after Tommy went to Brigadoon the second time, Jane and Jeff end up together. He needs someone to take care of him, and she needs someone she can boss around. They would complete each other. Then again, they would probably kill each other before too long.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

The answer is obviously Charlie Dalrymple.

He's got the two best songs in the show - I'll Go Home With Bonnie Jean and Come To Me, Bend To Me.

Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next