The Resource For Musicals

Jekyll & Hyde Forum

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Which is the best recording of this musical? 

Which is the best recording of "Jekyll & Hyde"?
Original Concept Album 22%  22%  [ 10 ]
The Studio Cast Recording with Anthony Warlow 47%  47%  [ 21 ]
The Broadway Cast Recording 31%  31%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 45

Which is the best recording of this musical? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Which is the best recording of this musical?
I've been looking to expand my collection of musical theatre recordings, and having listened to "Someone Like You" on Linda Eder's album, "It's Time", the song has grown on me - so I thought I might give "Jekyll & Hyde" a second chance, despite the negative things I've said about it in the past. Especially considering it's likely I might get some spending money for my birthday in November. I just wonder what you "Jekyll & Hyde" fans think of the existing recordings...

Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:03 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

The Broadway cast is the best. Warlow is ofcourse fantastic on the concept album but that one has many bad aspects. The chorus is bad and their fake accents are horrible. Many of the orchestrations sound really unfinished and there are some very stupid lyrics. I hate Carolee Carmello as lisa and some of the songs just don't work. The Broadway cast is not perfect either but it just alot more polished. The 1990 concept album has very little to do with Jekyll & Hyde.

- Zorba (Kander & Ebb)

Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:52 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I adore the recording with Anthony Warlow!

However, this poll is incomplete. There are many many more recordings out there... non-English of course.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JekyllHyde/

Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:14 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

If they are not in English then I'm not interested in buying them - though I've heard good things about the German recording, I can only listen to foreign recordings of shows if I am really familiar with the story and am nuts about the score... unfortunately there are very few shows I like that much...

Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:02 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Location: The amazingly eventful, high-energy, and inspiring . . . . . CT
The Bremen recording for sure . . . I really can't stand Linda as Lucy, so I don't listen to any of those three regularly . . . I'd go with the OBC though, because I LOVE Christiane Noll as Emma and I DONT love Carolee Carmello as Emma (though I do love Carolee!).

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:58 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Christine Noll is probably the best thing on the Broadway J&H recording. The Jekyll/Hyde's name is escaping me, but his Hyde is pretty good; his Jekyll....

Anthony is wonderful, of course.

-Moni

Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

well, i like the original concept album because it's the most complete one of the show, and it has songs that the OBC recording doesn't have. however, the only thing is, i really don't like Linda Eder as Lucy. but my all-time favorite has to be the Breme one. it has the best Lucy, and i actually like the german lyrics better than the english ones. :)

Prop: Sarah's red ball gown (Tanz der Vampire)

"A beautiful voice is not enough." - Maria Callas

Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Christine Noll is probably the best thing on the Broadway J&H recording. The Jekyll/Hyde's name is escaping me, but his Hyde is pretty good; his Jekyll....

Anthony is wonderful, of course.

-Moni

Bob Cuccioli

Read the Legendery Musical
http://geocities.com/silver_dustus/musicals.htm

Eponine- Les Mis Forum Cast

Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:33 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I've listend to all the MP3 samples for all three English language albums on Amazon.com
I've decided I'm going to order both the 1994 concept album (because it seems to give a more complete sense of story and because Anthony Warlow is such an intense presence) and the 1990 concept album (because my girlfriend thinks Colm Wilkinson is sexy and will listen to anything with him in it, even though she generally doesn't like musicals - it may turn out to be one of the few musical CDs we can listen to together).

I like Linda Eder's voice, she's the main reason I'm taking the gamble with "Jekyll & Hyde" again - having listened to her on"The Scarlet Pimpernel" and "It's Time" . I think she has a beautiful voice (can't testify to her acting ability or lack thereof having never seen her live, but she seems to put the right level of emotion into her delivery of the songs on the album) and reading between the lines, it seems many critics are really having at her because she's the wife of Rob Reiner lookalike, Wildhorn. "Sarah Brightman syndrome" - I have a feeling Eder won't get any cred unless she divorces Wildhorn.

Last edited by Jaded Mandarin on Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:11 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

well, i like the original concept album because it's the most complete one of the show, and it has songs that the OBC recording doesn't have. however, the only thing is, i really don't like Linda Eder as Lucy. but my all-time favorite has to be the Breme one. it has the best Lucy, and i actually like the german lyrics better than the english ones. :)

I agree. The German lyrics to this show *way* surpass the English lyrics. Perhaps that is why the show is more popular in Germany than the USA.

Chi

Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:58 pm
Profile YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:43 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

she is divorcing frank wildhorn.

Hmmmm, where did you read this?

Is she still going to be in "Camille Claudel" then? I wonder....

Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next