The Resource For Musicals

My Fair Lady Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
"I Could Have Danced All Night" w/ a sexy spin! 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post "I Could Have Danced All Night" w/ a sexy spin!
Dear "MFL" Fans,

I know that Eliza wears the same dress onstage when she sings the song "ICHDAN", but I like what the moviemakers did with the song within the context of the 1964 movie version of "My FairLady".

I think that the song has more possibilities during that type of scene setup. For example, I think that when Eliza is wearing her dress, the chorus could sound very independent, and that when she's in the bathroom, the chorus could sound dreamy, and that, once she's in bed, the chorus could sound super sexy, and super double-entendre-esque!

What do you think of that idea!

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:wink:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:07 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Wouldn't that depend on the production and the director?
In a production I saw earlier this year by Opera Australia, the relationship that developed was friendship and Eliza wanted Higgin's respect above all.
In the aforementioned production, the number would have been seen as out of place, a bit ridiculous and to a point crude.
I have heard that many companies take a more romantic route, in this context it could be more appropriate. Although I believe that Eliza is a bit of an ingenue EG) her freaking out about Higgin thinking she were a prostitute- so is a number as you described it the best thing when thought about?

JUST A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:34 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: "I Could Have Danced All Night" w/ a sexy spin
[quote="The Duchess of Mint"]Dear "MFL" Fans,

I know that Eliza wears the same dress onstage when she sings the song "ICHDAN", but I like what the moviemakers did with the song within the context of the 1964 movie version of "My FairLady".

I think that the song has more possibilities during that type of scene setup. For example, I think that when Eliza is wearing her dress, the chorus could sound very independent, and that when she's in the bathroom, the chorus could sound dreamy, and that, once she's in bed, the chorus could sound super sexy, and super double-entendre-esque!

What do you think of that idea!

:wink:[/quote]

Uh-huh. Like the Lerner-Loewe estate would sanction such a chintzy, sleazy interpretation of their material? Maybe you should stick to acting...

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:19 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: "I Could Have Danced All Night" w/ a sexy spin
GungaDin wrote:
Uh-huh. Like the Lerner-Loewe estate would sanction such a chintzy, sleazy interpretation of their material? Maybe you should stick to acting...

For a second I thought you were joking. But then I realized you were serious.

And that's just rude for no reason.

I mean, I kind of agree with you, but still ... pop a chill pill, buddy.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:53 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
^ Not really. That's how GungaDin is. And that's how Duchess is.

On topic, I actually agree with Gunga for once, even though I'm sure Duchess was somewhat joking. "ICHDAN" performed in a sleazy way just really wouldn't work...at all.

[/necroposting]

Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:13 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: "I Could Have Danced All Night" w/ a sexy spin!
Dear "My Fair Lady" Fans,

I was going somewhat by Audrey's facial expressions in the movie scene. I was also going by the fact that, during that scene, she's behaving in a totally dreamy way that can't be devoid of at least a slight amount of eroticism. Besides, she's not singing the song in front of Higgins, so he can't possibly be judging her as being either decent or indecent while she's going on and on about wishing that the night could have lasted forever. In the silence that Higgins left behind, with only his maids to hear her, she's totally free to wax erotic about anything and everything! ;)

Thanks in advance for your replies.
8-)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]