The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Phantom's Voice 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Phantom's Voice
Hey there, I am a fifteen year old guy looking to be the Phantom. I understand the role requires a deeper voice, however my vocal range is a Low G# 3 to High A# 5. Is there any way most of the music could be transposed, or...? If anything, does anyone have the regular vocal range of the role?

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:04 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Phantom's Voice
According to the audition sheets I've seen for the show (and going by my copy of the score), the Phantom's range is G#3 to G#5 full-voice with an A5 in falsetto. So the range you've said you have would seem to be perfect for the role.

As for transposing most of the score (if you still have trouble hitting some of those low notes)... Highly unlikely unless your drama teacher or theatre director is willing to make a lot of accommodations for you. Professional companies have very rarely changed the keys -- at one point when the World Tour was in Australia, they lowered the key for "Music of the Night" when all the Phantom actors got the flu; and once in London, keys were changed for a Christine actress whose voice wasn't really right for the role but who got cast due to favoritism by the producer.

And for school and community theatre productions, actors may sing some bits in a higher or lower octave if they need to (and have the director's permission). But transposing things to a different key is probably not going to happen in a school or community production, since the orchestra would then have to get transposed scores as well. But remember, you're still young. Age and training will certainly help you to hit those notes. :)

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]