The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
If they ever end up remaking the movie... 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

not now, because lord knows Zac Efron would have to be Tony and that would kill the musical for me, sorry.

Wed May 28, 2008 6:36 pm
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Actually, the movie is NOT one of my favorites. I think I'm one of the few people who really dislikes it.

But basically, they completely changed it to a movie rather than leaving a great deal of the stage appeal in, not to mention I thought all of the gang members looked just a little too clean. I like West Side Story to be a bit gritty, it's not a happy story, and I thought the movie portrayed it to be a bit too pretty.

It's just my opinion on it. There were just little things all throughout the movie that really bothered me.

Plus, they changed "America," which I think is one of the most powerful numbers in the musical because of the way it's portrayed on stage.

So, in a remake, I would definitely make it a bit grungier, at least, and I would definitely have the Somewhere Ballet sequence in it.

Upcoming:
none

Past:
Twin #2 in Peter Pan, Milkmaid/Chorus in Oliver, Belinda in A Christmas Carol

Thu May 29, 2008 5:50 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
I hate "America" in the stage version. its much more powerful and makes more sense in the film when its between Nardo and Anita.

Thu May 29, 2008 6:46 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post A re-make of the film version of West Side Story: No go!
If there was a remake of the movie version of West Side Story, it would be disastrous--it would just cut the heart and soul right out of it, imo.

Had WSS come out any later than it did, especially today, the romance scenes between Tony & Maria, Bernardo & Anita, and others would be much more explicitly sexual and a great deal steamier. The fight scenes would've been much more graphic, bloody and gory, the language way harsher, and the prejudice between the two gangs, as well as the harsh attitudes of the cops far more obvious.

The rumble, too, would be far more graphic and bloody; there would've been guns used, rather than switchblades or fisticuffs.

Just afew years ago, Warner Bros. considered putting out a WSS remake of the film version, but the plug was pulled on that.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:50 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Devout fan of the film West Side Story
Main Role: Fan
Post Re:
highkick49 wrote:
not now, because lord knows Zac Efron would have to be Tony and that would kill the musical for me, sorry.

A remake of the film West Side Story?!? Heaven forbid...it would be a total disaster. The last time I heard/read, Steve Spielberg was interested in re-making this film. Fox had unlocked the movie for him to re-make it. Hopefully, there won't be enough interest in having even Spielberg re-make this film, because it would cut the heart and soul right out of it! Nothing, imho, beats the original!

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:20 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Devout fan of the film West Side Story
Main Role: Fan
Post Re:
Nettik wrote:
Actually, the movie is NOT one of my favorites. I think I'm one of the few people who really dislikes it.

But basically, they completely changed it to a movie rather than leaving a great deal of the stage appeal in, not to mention I thought all of the gang members looked just a little too clean. I like West Side Story to be a bit gritty, it's not a happy story, and I thought the movie portrayed it to be a bit too pretty.

It's just my opinion on it. There were just little things all throughout the movie that really bothered me.

Plus, they changed "America," which I think is one of the most powerful numbers in the musical because of the way it's portrayed on stage.

So, in a remake, I would definitely make it a bit grungier, at least, and I would definitely have the Somewhere Ballet sequence in it.

I beg to differ here, Nettick. Here's why;

First of all, West Side Story, to me, is a wonderful movie, and it's just as beautiful on screen as it is on stage.

Secondly, imho, West Side Story is one of the few musicals that was really successful on both screen and stage, and there's only one reason why it would be re-made: To turn a beautiful classic film into a piece of hip-hop/rap-infested junk.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:42 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: If they ever end up remaking the movie...
With the live TV musical trend in full swing, let me ask...how would you guys feel about "West Side Story Live"?

I think they could do a terrific job of it.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2