The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
SOM Movie 50th Anniversary - March 2 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post SOM Movie 50th Anniversary - March 2
March 2 marks the 50th anniversary of the SOM movie's release at the Rivoli Theater in New York City. Has anyone heard of any plans for re-releases, commemorative DVDs, books reunions of surviving cast and crew, and/or descendants of those deceased?

Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:13 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: SOM Movie 50th Anniversary - March 2
Coverage of SOM's 50th anniversary is heating up. Most notably, Diane Sawyer hosted an ABC 20/20 special in which she accompanied Julie Andrews to Salzburg, which aired March 18. There are also (at least) 4 new books coming out. I haven't seen the special yet, but among the bits and pieces I caught: Julie was was knocked down into the mud no fewer than 10 times by the helicopter downdraft; and fell backward out of the boat instead of forward as instructed, so she could rescue Kym Karath (Gretl), who couldn't swim (in the end Heather Menzies (Louisa) caught Kym). 20th Century Fox has released a 5-disc DVD/BluRay edition. Interestingly, all the kids have remained close over they years, like a second family, and none have got into any serious trouble (Kym is still not fond of water). Likewise, Julie and Christopher Plummer have remained good friends.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:38 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

How cool is that! I am so glad to know about 50th Anniversary of SOM Movie! Well guys, I am going to watch cinderella movie with my friends. We all were making plans from a few days and finally we are going tonight. I’m so excited!!

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:53 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Rylee48 wrote:
How cool is that! I am so glad to know about 50th Anniversary of SOM Movie! Well guys, I am going to watch cinderella movie with my friends. We all were making plans from a few days and finally we are going tonight. I’m so excited!!

The special id now posted on YouTube, at https://youtu.be/Q_GeA_JkDsU

Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]