The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Bookends? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Bookends?
What are your thoughts on the 'bookend' scenes in the show? I think the auction scene in the beginning is pointless and unnecessary and the last scene with the 'Meg' theater worker made me feel really cheated when I first saw it.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:28 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Bookends?
I rather like the prologue sequence because of the mood it sets up, even though it's not really that important to the overall story -- it's a far more effective beginning than the "Hannibal" rehearsal would be, I think. (Though I've heard that some audience members don't realize the old guy in the wheelchair is Raoul.) It really does make a difference when the Auctioneer is properly imposing, as well -- Michael Lackey in the Las Vegas production, for instance.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'Meg' theater worker at the end, though. That is the actress who plays Meg, not a theater worker dressed like her. (Unless there was a really odd blooper when you saw the show...)

Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Toru771 wrote:
I rather like the prologue sequence because of the mood it sets up, even though it's not really that important to the overall story -- it's a far more effective beginning than the "Hannibal" rehearsal would be, I think. (Though I've heard that some audience members don't realize the old guy in the wheelchair is Raoul.) It really does make a difference when the Auctioneer is properly imposing, as well -- Michael Lackey in the Las Vegas production, for instance.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'Meg' theater worker at the end, though. That is the actress who plays Meg, not a theater worker dressed like her. (Unless there was a really odd blooper when you saw the show...)

Why does the Auctioneer need to be imposing? That seems like another frivolity to the Prologue. And I think you're right about the Meg scene; I just remember her costume in that scene being very modern-looking, so maybe that's what threw me off.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:58 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Fan
Apples2for10 wrote:
Toru771 wrote:

Why does the Auctioneer need to be imposing? That seems like another frivolity to the Prologue. And I think you're right about the Meg scene; I just remember her costume in that scene being very modern-looking, so maybe that's what threw me off.

It's just personal preference; I like the creepy-looking, deep-voiced auctioneers more than the tenor-y ones who look like librarians. Though according to one actress who was in the Las Vegas production and posted on another forum, what director Harold Prince told the cast was that the auction was Raoul's death, and the Auctioneer was meant to be Death himself while the other people in the scene were ghosts or memories of people he knew. So maybe my preference/headcanon has some validity after all. I also think the auction, along with a few other scenes, helps to establish the character of the Opera House, since in the original novel, the location is just as important to the story as any of the main 3 characters.

Ah, I see what you mean. Since Meg had traveled down to the lair along with a bunch of stagehands and others who were seeking to kill the Phantom, she may have chosen that outfit to blend in with the crowd/mob a bit better, since the dress she had for the "Don Juan" opera performance would have really stuck out.

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]