Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
The Lion King Jr. 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
Main Role: Director
Post The Lion King Jr.
Hi all!

I'm new here, found this forum when Google searching about The Lion King and enjoyed reading this forum so much that I decided I'd better join ^_^

I noticed there has been no or little mention of the rights for The Lion King Jr. being released next year on these forums? Perhaps a sign that a straight adaptation of the Broadway release can't be too far behind?

I'm looking at directing The Lion King Jr. as our theatre school production next year, although I'm cautiously optimistic. The Jr. titles in the past have been very hit-and-miss (ie Aladdin Jr. was decent, Into the Woods terrible) and I'm worried about the overhaul they'll give The Lion King in order for small community theatres and schools to be able to replicate it with a small budget. I have absolutely no problem with this, the more companies that can put it on the better, however I worry that massive sacrifices will be made to the script in order to accommodate this.

After doing some Googling, I found this script: http://www.linx-usa.com/files/theater/LionKingJR11.pdf

Because The Lion King Jr. has already been trialed by some societies in the USA, I'm praying this isn't a leaked script. The reliance on a narrator is incredibly lazy, and adds absolutely nothing of value. The change to the iconic opening scene is cringe-worthy and bemusing, with songs being put out of order throughout it. People go into a show like The Lion King with certain expectations, and changes this massive are going to crush them.

Would love to hear what you all think, I'm probably overreacting and getting worked up unnecessarily, I've already begun the "obsession phase" and the show is still a year from being put on yet...

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:55 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: The Lion King Jr.
I find most of the Jr. versions just to be quite frankly bad and just all out trashing the originals. Although they can be useful for elementary productions why cant the originals just be used :crazy:

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]