Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
"Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Les Miserables
Main Role: Performer
Post "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again"
Just wondering...
I've been working on this song just because in my voice lessons and I like the way I sound when I sing it. Would I be able to sing this for an audition for a musical, or is it too overdone? I've read things saying to never sing anything from Wicked or the Sound of Music for auditions because of its over-done nature. I feel like Phantom of the Opera would also be overdone, but I'm not sure. Thanks for any advice.

Les Miserables - Factory Girl/ ensemble soloist
Oliver! - Milkmaid
Once Upon a Mattress- Princess No. 12
The Importance of Being Earnest- Gwendolen Fairfax

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:34 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: La Cage Aux Folles
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again"
I have no experience with these things.

But this counts in general: "Never do this or that"-kind of "advice" is often wrong. Do you feel comfortable at singing it? Do you sing it well? Then sing it, for goodness sake and you will impress in a good way. If you sing something else, uncomfortably and in a bad way, just because it's less "overdone" and because someone told you it would make a better impression, you will hardly succeed.

Apart from that, I doubt PotO is overdone like Wicked ro Sound of Music. It's a popular musical, but it's not a typical musical. And WYWSHA is a very versatile song. You have to hit high and low notes, you have to sing fast and slow and you have to act a lot and show various emotions (sadness, desperation, anger, desire). You can show off all you can do - in case you can do it.

So, do what you feel is right and ignore everyone else. And if someone doesn't notice your talent because they are prejudiced and think anyone who sings an "overdone" song isn't good enough, then that person'sreally stupid.

And if you're really good, then they will notice, no matter if you sing Whising You Were Somehow Here Again, The Lonely Goatherd or children's song.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]