Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Your favorite Phantom! 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: La Cage Aux Folles
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Your favorite Phantom!
I wrote this moths ago in anothef forum, but it's still my view:

Steve Barton - He was such a unique person and his real pain could be heard in every song he sung, character he played. Truly phantastic, even though an unusual phantom. He actually isn't my favourite "style" for the Phantom, I love him anyway.

Michael Crawford - The first Phantom and very close to what I imagine Erik to be in the book. Unusual, in a strange way beautiful voice, somehow magical.

Anthony Warlow - I am so in love with his voice! It's so silky and smooth, his way of singing makes me almost hypnotisized. But what I don't like is his "grasp it, sense it" many Phantoms do that now, in this way. I like the "old way" better.

Alexander Goebel - Exactly Erik from the book. Such a mournful, crying voice. So much pain in every tune, so full of love and hate, between genuis and insanity. His voice is - just like Michael Crawford's - unusual and maybe not beautiful in the classical way, but perfect for Erik. Simply magical.

Hugh Panaro - What I have said about Michael and Alexander, with a more... um... fresh twist... I think he's amazing, he should actually stand more above...

Ernst D. Suttheimer - Magical. Very Leroux to mee, though not as much as Michael, Alexander or Hugh. I love his sometimes a little... umm... dominating? tune.

Henk Poort - There is something SO lovely about his voice, I can't tell what... It's in the rathmn of his singing... or his breathing while singing... I have no idea...

Colm Wilkinson - Graceful and with an unususal style of singing... And the first Phantom of all!

Ramin Karimloo - Poor guy, so late on my list! I don't like his Phantom style, too sexy, singing to strong and doing the same "grasp it, sense it" thing Anothony does. But I LOVE hsi expressions and I love him singing The Point Of No Return and it would be so unfair to not add him to the list of my favourites! He's not as sensual as my other favourites, but there is something else about him, that really gets me!

Earl Carpenter - Love his acting and he is also a very sensual Phantom...

I am all about sensual, gentle Phantoms, still with more than a hint of insanity. I'm not too obsessed with very strong or - worse - "sexy" Phantoms. They have to be intoxicating, magical, with in a strange way beautiful voices.

But I have to add John Owen-Jones. He is a brilliant singer. Not really one of my favourite Phantoms. But he is a wonderful singer, definitely.

And these rae my least favourites:

Gerard Butler - Seriously. I have nothing against him or his fans/Phans, but still... no! Not for me! Never!

Uwe Kröger - He lost his voice before he played the part, sadly. :/

Peter Hofmann - He was a very strong singer in his own right, no doubt about that. But as the Phantom? Never! He just doesn't fit! Too stiff, not sensual enough, sorry, just no.

Peter Jöback - Sorry guys, not my taste! I mean... seriously... He simply isn't a Phantom.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:43 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dear "Phantom of the Opera" Fans,

I know that virtual tomatoes may be thrown my way, but I'm, like, TOTALLY, gonna have to say....

"Steve Harley, fer SHURR!"

Okay, okay....You KNEW that I was gonna say "Steve Harley", simply because I've always thought that his pop-style title duet with Sarah Brightman makes him sound like the....sexiest....Phantom....EVER!

I know that Erik isn't SUPPOSED to be sexy, but I don't think that Erik HAS to be UN-SEXY, either, just because his face looks bad. Besides, in all seriousness, you've got to admit that if EVERY production of "TPotO" was styled to be pop-esque, Steve Harley would be the perfect Phantom! He makes the title song from the musical sound like a seduction/ makeout sesh song, fer SHURR, and isn't the idea that the Phantom seduces Christine/ TRIES to seduce Christine, anyway?

Well, thanks in advance for your replies.
8-)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:45 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I don't agree with you, but I won't throw a tomato. Personally, I prefer more... well... unsexy, or well in the obvious way unsexy phantoms. Because I find obvious sexiness totally unsexy while unsexy Phantoms can be really sexy and it's in the middle of the night, I am tired and being weird, so just ignore me...

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:16 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

My Phavourites (more or less this order but actually all of them at once ;) )
Steve Barton
Peter Karrie
Michael Crawford
Grant Norman
Hugh Panaro
Anthony Warlow
Alexander Goebel
Ernst D. Suttheimer
Colm Wilkinson
Earl Carpenter

Honorable Mentions (again no real order)
John Owen-Jones, Ian Jon Bourg, Henk Poort, Brad Little, Gary Mauer, Anthony Crivello and Ramin Karimloo.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3