The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Beauty and the Beast Audition 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Beauty and the Beast Audition
I have a Beauty and the Beast audition for my company in about a week. There are no part specific auditions. It is just a general audition and then the best who have auditioned are chosen for callbacks. I am aiming for Belle, but would be content with any other part I receive. I do, however, want a fantastic audition to have my two directors consider me for Belle and to partly stray away from The Wardrobe, Mrs. Potts, or even Babette because I do know that some songs can provide insight to those characters as well. For the music, we must provide our own electronic accompaniment so I need something that will be easy to find a karaoke/instrumental version. We are NOT allowed to sing acapella. Also, we have between 1 1/2 to 2 minutes for our song.

I have a few audition songs and I cannot narrow it down to just one song. I want a song that not only shows off my vocal range(mezzo-soprano) but I am fairly flexible. I can't explain how high or low I can go because I don't know notes very well, but I do have a "Broadway style" belt as my director likes to say. I would also like a song that has a similar character to Belle(very sweet, caring, as well as strong, independent and determined.)

I know the show very well because it's my favorite musical. I also know the character of Belle very well because she is my all time favorite Disney princess as well as dream role!

So here are my audition songs and my pros/cons about each, but it would be very helpful to have a second opinion!

Astonishing- Little Women (Perfect range for me, but it's long and is most often suggested when auditioning for Belle. Plus a girl sang it last year and knocked in out of the park and my director remembers her audition.)

Someone Else's Story-Chess (Unknown song, similar range to Belle, but a completely different character from Belle.)

Far From the Home I Love-Fiddler on the Roof (Reminds me of a mixture of Home/Change in Me. The concept of home will always be family, which is a good message similar to Belle's ideas. Just worried that it's range is geared more toward an Alto than a Soprano.)

To Be Free-Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular (Perfect characterization of Belle. Being free, finding love, and being yourself. Belle's range. Only con is that there is no instrumental, and the instrumental I tried to create with audacity you can just barely here the original Jasmine's voice underneath which will not give a good impression to the directors. This was my first choice, but I cannot find an accompaniment which makes it very hard.)

Once Upon A Dream-Jekyll & Hyde (A higher range, but very beautiful. Character is loving and a very "disney-like" song. Also short. But no real message relating to Belle's character. Still 2nd or 3rd choice.)

Someone Like You-Jekyll & Hyde (Good range. Similar character to Belle, still a bit opposite, but a longing for a friend and adventure, etc. A little longer. Don't know if it's good for an audition focused towards Belle. Also, has many belting type parts, which could be a little obnoxious.)

I would just love some thorough second opinions on what I should choose because I still can't decide.

Thank you!

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Beauty and the Beast Audition
Sorry for the late reply. You made some great choices, but the only two that are not overdone are "Astonishing" and "To Be Free", so I would pick one of those.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:04 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Beauty and the Beast Audition
This was one of the nice opportunity for me to participate in this audition, but I missed the chance.
-----------
[Edit: don't put commercial links in your posts, please. Any more and you'll be banned as a spammer.
Have a nice day, now.
Mods.]

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]